The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF3, why the ancient sensor?

RichA

I'm really surprised that gave it the old sensor and not the new one in the G3. Honestly, the camera appears to have been a huge effort in cost-cutting, more than anything else. A far cry from the GF1. Likely, if the price (if it lasts that long) erodes to $399, they'll still be making money, which is good if you are a P&S migrator with no interest in paying $600+ for an interchangeable lens camera.

Godfrey

Possibly because it's a darn good sensor that continues to deliver excellent image quality.

Terry

It may or may not be the same sensor but it is definitely not the same processing system so, I think you will need to wait and see what the IQ is like. Also, there is reportedly another camera coming this fall that would to cater more to the enthusiasts than the GF3 is intended to.

bradhusick

So far the G3 is the most interesting recent pany for me, as I like shooting with a viewfinder and this seems to have pany's best of breed EVF.

Terry

So far the G3 is the most interesting recent pany for me, as I like shooting with a viewfinder and this seems to have pany's best of breed EVF.
Which is the case for me as well. There was a recent article that this is a difference between the US and Japanese camera market with small size no viewfinder is preferred. I believe that is why you are seeing models such as the GF3 and the G3. Different market. Different tastes.

andrewteee

Which is the case for me as well. There was a recent article that this is a difference between the US and Japanese camera market with small size no viewfinder is preferred. I believe that is why you are seeing models such as the GF3 and the G3. Different market. Different tastes.
Apparently, the Sony NEX is a huge hit in Japan. The GF3 competes directly with it. With the kit zoom their size is just about equal. The GF3 perhaps has more cuteness factor.

Diane B

+2 on G3 as well. The only mistake I can see is the naming of the GF3. Because its a GF the anticipation that it would, hopefully, follow in path of the GF1 and didn't engendered a lot of negative threads in forums. I feel pretty confident that there will be a body for the enthusiasts but right now I'm looking forward to the G3. Still hanging onto my G1 but may try to ride the tide of discontent with the GF3 and sell my GF1 LOL.

Pelao

I would agree that although the sensor is not 'new', it is by no means a poor performer - now allied to new processing.

I look forward to seeing what comes later. I like the G3, but would prefer more traditional controls. the deciding factor for me may be an EVF: if the new enthusiast GF style does appear and has a built-in EVF I will be very interested.

RichA

I would agree that although the sensor is not 'new', it is by no means a poor performer - now allied to new processing.

I look forward to seeing what comes later. I like the G3, but would prefer more traditional controls. the deciding factor for me may be an EVF: if the new enthusiast GF style does appear and has a built-in EVF I will be very interested.
Processing changes should be interesting. I'll compare it to the G1 out of curiosity, but I'm getting a G3.

raist3d

Cost cost cost cost cost...

And cost. Cheaper, higher margins. And for the market it's aimed at it's adequate. Certainly not what I would like to see in a pro camera released today, and I would agree it would be nice anyway if they moved the bar because it's really old by now.

- Raist