Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Perspective Change

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    OK but only very slightly closer so as to fill the frame with the same amount; it's the difference between a 40mm and a 50mm, it doesn't warrant such a variation in distortion.
    It is much much more than "slightly". Height of head on shot with 20 is approximately 20% bigger when it should have been opposite and whole layout of a shot indicates height and angle of shot have changed too which will cause huge change in perspective, especially with shots taken so close.

If they have kept center of head in center of shot and kept sizing same then we would be talking but as taken those shots are worthless for any comparison and very misleading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    It is much much more than "slightly".
    My point precisely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My point precisely.
    I have impression you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "more than slightly distorted due to lens", I meant DPR got much closer to subject than necessary to have playing field level when taking a shot with 20 and that is what butchered perspective, not the difference in focal lengths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    I have impression you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "more than slightly distorted due to lens", I meant DPR got much closer to subject than necessary to have playing field level when taking a shot with 20 and that is what butchered perspective, not the difference in focal lengths.
    OK, I think I'm thrashing this one too far:
    My point is precisely that if they have to get THAT much closer and the supposed difference is only between a 40mm and a 50mm equivalent then perhaps the distortion in the pancake lens shows that it's not a very straightforward slightly wide "normal" lens, the fact that we see it now is thanks to being able to compare it directly with the newer lens which does seem to behave as a normal lens does. Phew!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Agreement

My point is precisely that if they have to get THAT much closer ...
    They did _NOT_ have to get that much closer. They got _MUCH_ closer than they needed to. They needed to get only as close to make height of head same, but they ended up getting so close that head is 20% bigger, plus they changed angles.

That is the danger of from the hip shooting, it is not just worthless but it easily misleads.

As I said, keep size of subject same and then we will talk if perspective on 20 is suffering as much.