The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

biglouis

All, apologies for the link. I happened to post it at the same time the m43rds server suffered a serious malware attack - which they explain at the website. They are now back and running.

It is because of this lens, which offers AF that I decided not to partake of the Voigtlander. This lens has been rumoured for about a year and having tried to use Leica lenses on my m43rds cameras and failed I've been waiting for a fast-fifty with proper AF and lens correction in software. No doubt LR will be updated at some point to accomodate.

Some nice examples are now up at the m43rds rumour site. They look terrific. I'm sold, when can I get one?

LouisB

Diane B

well when I was looking at the thought crossed my mind that they'd taken the old one, altered the mount and electronics and kept it otherwise unchanged.

Thus its as bulky as it is as it was designed for clearing the mirror.

still ... for double the price of an equivalent 35mm lens it is at least following the trends of the micro4/3, which like "fine french cuisine" is more on the bill than it is on the plate. Well, good luck to them, if they've found a market that supports such. The price quality relationship was part of what attracted me in the first place (as was size, but less so) with the G1

If things keep going this way I may find myself abandoning my G system and re-tooling up back in EOS again.
Pellicle, the preorder price here in the US at Adorama (and I'm assuming it will be the same everywhere) is $599. That's not what I expected and within th realm of "reasonable" LOL. My understanding is its about the same length and weight as the 45/2.8 (I need to check that) and if so, fine with me. I shot quite a lot with the 45 today on the G1 and its nicely balanced.

Diane

pellicle

Hi Di

My understanding is its about the same length and weight as the 45/2.8 (I need to check that) and if so, fine with me. I shot quite a lot with the 45 today on the G1 and its nicely balanced.
sure, but the 45 is a 1:1 macro which needs the length to pull the focus (right?) and has twice the focal length ... I mean my FD 50f1.4 is shorter than the FD50 Macro lens.

Still, none of this matters to anyone else except me it seems.

photoSmart42

A very interesting lens. I feel it shows Panasonic is still chasing 'serious' photographers: I can't imagine too many P&S movers chasing a prime...
That remains to be seen. I hope that the introduction of this lens is a portent of things to come, namely a more capable G-series. I can only hope for a mirrorless Panasonic version of the E-5 to go along with a lens like this, but I'm guessing that'll have to come from Olympus. It's the main reason I haven't bought into the m4/3 system fully quite yet, and why I'm experimenting with the E-5 soon to see if it'll meet my needs better than the G-series currently.

R

raymondluo

Hmm, for those of us with a 20mm f/1.7, I doubt twice the length, twice the weight and almost twice the price will warrant the swap.
That's true, I was thinking once second hand prices start showing up it would be more than affordable it becomes tempting! But I still value compactness, however. Anything that sticks out more than the 20mm in a GF1 or any future x100-type GF cameras just looks weird (and heavy on the wrists).

C

curious80

well when I was looking at the thought crossed my mind that they'd taken the old one, altered the mount and electronics and kept it otherwise unchanged.

Thus its as bulky as it is as it was designed for clearing the mirror.
I am scratching my head at this comment. The FT Leica weighs 550g this one weighs 200g. FT version has a 78mm diameter with a 62mm filter size, this one has a 63mm diameter with a 46mm filter thread. The FT version is 75mm long, this one is 55mm long.

Looks to me as being a significantly smaller and lighter lens than the FT version and the design is likely to be significantly different as well.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
still ... for double the price of an equivalent 35mm lens it is at least following the trends of the micro4/3, which like "fine french cuisine" is more on the bill than it is on the plate. Well, good luck to them, if they've found a market that supports such. The price quality relationship was part of what attracted me in the first place (as was size, but less so) with the G1

If things keep going this way I may find myself abandoning my G system and re-tooling up back in EOS again.
Which is what I did: bought a 1Ds Mk II body and some Zeiss C/Y and Leica R lenses. The size and weight are not total negatives either: I get much sharper results handheld than I ever did with the G1.

Apart from the 20/1.7, the m4/3 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic have been a huge disappointment for me. This new Leica 25/1.4 looks as though it will be a very appealing lens but I don't care for the 50mm EFoV.

My mirrorless interest has switched to the upcoming NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/2 lens.

Godfrey

That remains to be seen. I hope that the introduction of this lens is a portent of things to come, namely a more capable G-series. I can only hope for a mirrorless Panasonic version of the E-5 to go along with a lens like this, but I'm guessing that'll have to come from Olympus. It's the main reason I haven't bought into the m4/3 system fully quite yet, and why I'm experimenting with the E-5 soon to see if it'll meet my needs better than the G-series currently.
@ pellicle ::
The Micro-FourThirds version of the Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens is a totally different, and substantially smaller, design than the FourThirds SLR lens. It's a little less than half the weight, two-thirds the size, and $600 vs $1100.

@ photosmart42 ::
I am very sure that the next pro-grade body from Olympus, successor to the E-5, will be Micro-FourThirds mount. I've been told several times by usually credible Olympus sources that there will be at least three new Micro-FourThirds lenses and possibly two brand new Micro-FourThirds bodies announced sometime in the next three-four months.

What Panasonic is going to do beyond the GH2 is anyone's guess, IMO. The GF3 and G3 shows they are expanding their push into the low and middle portion of the buying market, the GH2 is a solid advanced amateur camera, but where their direction goes towards pro-grade still camera bodies is unknown.

CPWarner

Re: Comparison

Or comparison to the 20mm, the quality of this little lens has surprised everyone ...
I have one of those as well, but I was more interested in the direct 25mm to 25mm comparison. It will be interesting to see what the comparison shows. I have the Voigtlander, and like the manual focus. It makes photography a bit more deliberate.

CPWarner

Which is what I did: bought a 1Ds Mk II body and some Zeiss C/Y and Leica R lenses. The size and weight are not total negatives either: I get much sharper results handheld than I ever did with the G1.

Apart from the 20/1.7, the m4/3 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic have been a huge disappointment for me. This new Leica 25/1.4 looks as though it will be a very appealing lens but I don't care for the 50mm EFoV.

My mirrorless interest has switched to the upcoming NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/2 lens.
Pretty funny, I sold my 1DsMKII and Zeiss C/Y lenses and got a GH2 and a bunch of lenses. I agree that the 20mm 1.7 is a good performer, but the 45mm macro is my favorite right now, with the 7-14mm not far behind.

photoSmart42

@ photosmart42 ::
I am very sure that the next pro-grade body from Olympus, successor to the E-5, will be Micro-FourThirds mount. I've been told several times by usually credible Olympus sources that there will be at least three new Micro-FourThirds lenses and possibly two brand new Micro-FourThirds bodies announced sometime in the next three-four months.

What Panasonic is going to do beyond the GH2 is anyone's guess, IMO. The GF3 and G3 shows they are expanding their push into the low and middle portion of the buying market, the GH2 is a solid advanced amateur camera, but where their direction goes towards pro-grade still camera bodies is unknown.
Thanks, Godfrey! I can't wait to see what Olympus does. I think they're the better fit with my needs long-term than Panasonic.

Godfrey

Re: Comparison

I have one of those as well, but I was more interested in the direct 25mm to 25mm comparison. It will be interesting to see what the comparison shows. I have the Voigtlander, and like the manual focus. It makes photography a bit more deliberate.
I just like manual focus with a quality mechanical focusing helicoid. It feels nice and precise ... I feel like I'm in control of the camera.

(I've been using the GXR quite a lot, it's proving to be a very capable camera, the A12 28 and 50 (EFL) lenses are superb. But I have to say I can't wait for the M-lens expansion module to arrive ... I use the Spot AF and Snap focus facilities most of the time with these two as the manual focus servos aren't up to the quality of the Olympus DSLR pro lens servos. A couple of top-notch manual focus lenses and this camera will be so nice in every way! :)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Pretty funny, I sold my 1DsMKII and Zeiss C/Y lenses and got a GH2 and a bunch of lenses. I agree that the 20mm 1.7 is a good performer, but the 45mm macro is my favorite right now, with the 7-14mm not far behind.
Funny indeed!

I replaced my Nikon DSLRs (too bulky and heavy) with the Panasonic kit (and a bunch of Pen F lenses). Then I started buying Leica R lenses in the expectation that Leica/Panasonic would announce a mirrorless body with a Leica R compatible mount at Photokina 2010. In my dreams. But a friend loaned me his Canon 1Ds and, as soon as I saw the results I was getting with the Leica lenses, I picked up a 1Ds2 body.

The Summilux-R 35/1.4 isn't compatible with FF Canon bodies but the Contax C/Y 35/1.4 is and, after seeing a variety of sample images at FredMiranda.com, I bought one. If I could only use one lens on a FF DSLR, this would be it. Two lenses? I'd add the Elmarit-R Macro 60/2.8.

photoSmart42

Then I started buying Leica R lenses in the expectation that Leica/Panasonic would announce a mirrorless body with a Leica R compatible mount at Photokina 2010. In my dreams.
It's been reality for about two years if you count the R-adapter for the m4/3 mount offered by Panasonic. Here's a link: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Lenses/model.DMW-MA3R_11002_7000000000000005702.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member

pellicle

Jonathon

speaking as one who wishes for full frame size in compact body I would ask:

I replaced my Nikon DSLRs (too bulky and heavy) with the Panasonic kit ... as I saw the results I was getting with the Leica lenses, I picked up a 1Ds2 body.
would that not be as bulky?

biglouis

A sample gallery has now been put up at Dpreview for this lens.

There is also an interesting (quick n dirty) comparison with the 20/1.7. To my surprise I really do think the 25/1.4 is sharper, wide open.

Maybe, this really is a Summilux...

Louis