Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

Post Thanks / Like

m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

Anyone interested in getting one of these?

http://www.43rumors.com/good-news-fo...ound-650-euro/

I'll probably cave as I have the 45/2.8 and it is a fantastic lens.

Louis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

tried clicking on that link, but Firefox warned me with:

Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for 43rumors.com

What is the current listing status for 43rumors.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 9 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-06-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-06-13.

Malicious software includes 2 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 5 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including officedrwf.dyndns-office.com/, officeftyh.dyndns-office.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS20495 (WEDARE).

raymondluo

It's funny, before this the general ranting public (including me) wanted a 25mm 1.4. Now I'm thinking. Really?

The trade-offs are so marginal it wouldn't matter for someone like me that price and size would win in the end. The barely significant gain in light will be critical for pros, and measurbating for the camera wankers.

The real advantage here is the Leica brand, which would probably translate to better image output (since with the 20mm it has to be software corrected), and while subjective- I am assuming better bokeh.

The real question for me though is how this will affect the price of the 20mm 1.7? Fire sale I say!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably. Now, could we please have fast 50 and 100mm primes?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my 45/2.8 but I've tried shooting with one of my 24/2.8 for awhile and find its not a FL I prefer a lot. The lens on 4/3 looked terrific but think I'll skip and use 20/1.7 or 28/2 instead. I'm always open to changing my mind but I'm in no hurry and really want a faster mid range zoom and either the 7-14 or MFT 9-18 (I have the 4/3 9-18) first.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by raymondluo View Post
    It's funny, before this the general ranting public (including me) wanted a 25mm 1.4. Now I'm thinking. Really?
    my problem is that I like the look of a 50 f1.4 on full frame, but I just know that I won't get the same look out of a 25 1.4 on 4/3

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I really like my 45/2.8 but I've tried shooting with one of my 24/2.8 for awhile and find its not a FL I prefer a lot. The lens on 4/3 looked terrific but think I'll skip and use 20/1.7 or 28/2 instead.
    yes, I've been eyeing off the Oly 17 2.8 as the 'walk about lens' to have on my GH1

or better on a GF

and why is the GF1 still selling used for the same price as a new GF-2?

did I miss something wrong with the GF-2 (ok, so it has a touch screen, but it can't be *that* bad can it? ... and there appears to be a GF-3 already in the wings)

Post Thanks / Like

ohh ... and why are these things so big? I mean really, why can't it be much the same as the 17mm in size? my Pentax 110 18mm and 24mm are really quite the same in size, so after you add auto aperture and af mechanisms it can't *need* to be that long ...

Post Thanks / Like

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    I believe that's the old 4/3 version, but the new one won't be very much cheaper. $8-900?

loksi

According to mu-43.com site and their link to Adorama, circa USD600:

http://www.adorama.com/IPC2514M.html...ce=rflaid65781

Post Thanks / Like

According to Adorama, $599 actually.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianb032 View Post
    According to Adorama, $599 actually.
    Not a bad price! If it's the performance equivalent of the Summilux-D 25mm for the SLRs, it will be worth it.

It's funny: I had the Lumix G 20mm f/1.7, Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8, and Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH. I expected to like the 20mm more than the 25mm lenses, but the reverse turned out to be true. Were I to pick up another mFT body, one of these or the all-manual Nokton 25mm would be my go-to lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Not a bad price! If it's the performance equivalent of the Summilux-D 25mm for the SLRs, it will be worth it.

It's funny: I had the Lumix G 20mm f/1.7, Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8, and Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH. I expected to like the 20mm more than the 25mm lenses, but the reverse turned out to be true. Were I to pick up another mFT body, one of these or the all-manual Nokton 25mm would be my go-to lens.
    +1. I find the 20 to be too wide for my taste. It is, however, impressively sharp.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a photo without a hazard warning:

http://e-p1.net/the-rumor-bin/photo-...s)-25mm-f1-4!/

raymondluo

599? Okay this changes things. Damn good retail price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raymondluo View Post
    599? Okay this changes things. Damn good retail price.
    Hmm, for those of us with a 20mm f/1.7, I doubt twice the length, twice the weight and almost twice the price will warrant the swap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the price changed things for me too-I wasn't willing to pay $1000 for it to be truthful. Still not in a hurry but now considering it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, no mention yet of the inevitable Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 vs Leica 25mm F1.4 comparison. Should be interesting. I wonder if this will diminish the interest in the Voigtlander.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A very interesting lens. I feel it shows Panasonic is still chasing 'serious' photographers: I can't imagine too many P&S movers chasing a prime...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I believe that's the old 4/3 version, but the new one won't be very much cheaper. $8-900?
    well when I was looking at the thought crossed my mind that they'd taken the old one, altered the mount and electronics and kept it otherwise unchanged.

Thus its as bulky as it is as it was designed for clearing the mirror.

still ... for double the price of an equivalent 35mm lens it is at least following the trends of the micro4/3, which like "fine french cuisine" is more on the bill than it is on the plate. Well, good luck to them, if they've found a market that supports such. The price quality relationship was part of what attracted me in the first place (as was size, but less so) with the G1

If things keep going this way I may find myself abandoning my G system and re-tooling up back in EOS again.

Post Thanks / Like

All, apologies for the link. I happened to post it at the same time the m43rds server suffered a serious malware attack - which they explain at the website. They are now back and running.

It is because of this lens, which offers AF that I decided not to partake of the Voigtlander. This lens has been rumoured for about a year and having tried to use Leica lenses on my m43rds cameras and failed I've been waiting for a fast-fifty with proper AF and lens correction in software. No doubt LR will be updated at some point to accomodate.

Some nice examples are now up at the m43rds rumour site. They look terrific. I'm sold, when can I get one?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

well when I was looking at the thought crossed my mind that they'd taken the old one, altered the mount and electronics and kept it otherwise unchanged.

still ... for double the price of an equivalent 35mm lens it is at least following the trends of the micro4/3, which like "fine french cuisine" is more on the bill than it is on the plate. Well, good luck to them, if they've found a market that supports such. The price quality relationship was part of what attracted me in the first place (as was size, but less so) with the G1

If things keep going this way I may find myself abandoning my G system and re-tooling up back in EOS again.
    Pellicle, the preorder price here in the US at Adorama (and I'm assuming it will be the same everywhere) is $599. That's not what I expected and within th realm of "reasonable" LOL. My understanding is its about the same length and weight as the 45/2.8 (I need to check that) and if so, fine with me. I shot quite a lot with the 45 today on the G1 and its nicely balanced.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Di

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    My understanding is its about the same length and weight as the 45/2.8 (I need to check that) and if so, fine with me. I shot quite a lot with the 45 today on the G1 and its nicely balanced.
    sure, but the 45 is a 1:1 macro which needs the length to pull the focus (right?) and has twice the focal length ... I mean my FD 50f1.4 is shorter than the FD50 Macro lens.

Still, none of this matters to anyone else except me it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    A very interesting lens. I feel it shows Panasonic is still chasing 'serious' photographers: I can't imagine too many P&S movers chasing a prime...
    That remains to be seen. I hope that the introduction of this lens is a portent of things to come, namely a more capable G-series. I can only hope for a mirrorless Panasonic version of the E-5 to go along with a lens like this, but I'm guessing that'll have to come from Olympus. It's the main reason I haven't bought into the m4/3 system fully quite yet, and why I'm experimenting with the E-5 soon to see if it'll meet my needs better than the G-series currently.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

raymondluo

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Hmm, for those of us with a 20mm f/1.7, I doubt twice the length, twice the weight and almost twice the price will warrant the swap.
    That's true, I was thinking once second hand prices start showing up it would be more than affordable it becomes tempting! But I still value compactness, however. Anything that sticks out more than the 20mm in a GF1 or any future x100-type GF cameras just looks weird (and heavy on the wrists).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Hmm, no mention yet of the inevitable Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 vs Leica 25mm F1.4 comparison.
    Or comparison to the 20mm, the quality of this little lens has surprised everyone ...

curious80

I am scratching my head at this comment. The FT Leica weighs 550g this one weighs 200g. FT version has a 78mm diameter with a 62mm filter size, this one has a 63mm diameter with a 46mm filter thread. The FT version is 75mm long, this one is 55mm long.

Looks to me as being a significantly smaller and lighter lens than the FT version and the design is likely to be significantly different as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    I am scratching my head at this comment. .
    made in a lack of knowledge with a sample picture which was wrong. Now that I see information on DP review (and read those specs) my comment above is meaningless (and wrong)

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which is what I did: bought a 1Ds Mk II body and some Zeiss C/Y and Leica R lenses. The size and weight are not total negatives either: I get much sharper results handheld than I ever did with the G1.

Apart from the 20/1.7, the m4/3 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic have been a huge disappointment for me. This new Leica 25/1.4 looks as though it will be a very appealing lens but I don't care for the 50mm EFoV.

My mirrorless interest has switched to the upcoming NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/2 lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    That remains to be seen. I hope that the introduction of this lens is a portent of things to come, namely a more capable G-series. I can only hope for a mirrorless Panasonic version of the E-5 to go along with a lens like this, but I'm guessing that'll have to come from Olympus. It's the main reason I haven't bought into the m4/3 system fully quite yet, and why I'm experimenting with the E-5 soon to see if it'll meet my needs better than the G-series currently.
    @ pellicle ::
    The Micro-FourThirds version of the Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens is a totally different, and substantially smaller, design than the FourThirds SLR lens. It's a little less than half the weight, two-thirds the size, and $600 vs $1100.

@ photosmart42 ::
    I am very sure that the next pro-grade body from Olympus, successor to the E-5, will be Micro-FourThirds mount. I've been told several times by usually credible Olympus sources that there will be at least three new Micro-FourThirds lenses and possibly two brand new Micro-FourThirds bodies announced sometime in the next three-four months.

What Panasonic is going to do beyond the GH2 is anyone's guess, IMO. The GF3 and G3 shows they are expanding their push into the low and middle portion of the buying market, the GH2 is a solid advanced amateur camera, but where their direction goes towards pro-grade still camera bodies is unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

Or comparison to the 20mm, the quality of this little lens has surprised everyone ...
    I have one of those as well, but I was more interested in the direct 25mm to 25mm comparison. It will be interesting to see what the comparison shows. I have the Voigtlander, and like the manual focus. It makes photography a bit more deliberate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Which is what I did: bought a 1Ds Mk II body and some Zeiss C/Y and Leica R lenses. The size and weight are not total negatives either: I get much sharper results handheld than I ever did with the G1.

Apart from the 20/1.7, the m4/3 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic have been a huge disappointment for me. This new Leica 25/1.4 looks as though it will be a very appealing lens but I don't care for the 50mm EFoV.

My mirrorless interest has switched to the upcoming NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/2 lens.
    Pretty funny, I sold my 1DsMKII and Zeiss C/Y lenses and got a GH2 and a bunch of lenses. I agree that the 20mm 1.7 is a good performer, but the 45mm macro is my favorite right now, with the 7-14mm not far behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    @ photosmart42 ::
    I am very sure that the next pro-grade body from Olympus, successor to the E-5, will be Micro-FourThirds mount. I've been told several times by usually credible Olympus sources that there will be at least three new Micro-FourThirds lenses and possibly two brand new Micro-FourThirds bodies announced sometime in the next three-four months.

What Panasonic is going to do beyond the GH2 is anyone's guess, IMO. The GF3 and G3 shows they are expanding their push into the low and middle portion of the buying market, the GH2 is a solid advanced amateur camera, but where their direction goes towards pro-grade still camera bodies is unknown.
    Thanks, Godfrey! I can't wait to see what Olympus does. I think they're the better fit with my needs long-term than Panasonic.
    -Dragos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those as well, but I was more interested in the direct 25mm to 25mm comparison. It will be interesting to see what the comparison shows. I have the Voigtlander, and like the manual focus. It makes photography a bit more deliberate.
    I just like manual focus with a quality mechanical focusing helicoid. It feels nice and precise ... I feel like I'm in control of the camera.

(I've been using the GXR quite a lot, it's proving to be a very capable camera, the A12 28 and 50 (EFL) lenses are superb. But I have to say I can't wait for the M-lens expansion module to arrive ... I use the Spot AF and Snap focus facilities most of the time with these two as the manual focus servos aren't up to the quality of the Olympus DSLR pro lens servos. A couple of top-notch manual focus lenses and this camera will be so nice in every way! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the link from leicarumor to these samples:

http://www.photographyblog.com/previ...m_lens_photos/
    http://lenstip.com/1915-news-Panason...le_images.html

Is that a huge amount of LoCA at 1.4 (the guy riding a bike for example)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty funny, I sold my 1DsMKII and Zeiss C/Y lenses and got a GH2 and a bunch of lenses. I agree that the 20mm 1.7 is a good performer, but the 45mm macro is my favorite right now, with the 7-14mm not far behind.
    Funny indeed!

I replaced my Nikon DSLRs (too bulky and heavy) with the Panasonic kit (and a bunch of Pen F lenses). Then I started buying Leica R lenses in the expectation that Leica/Panasonic would announce a mirrorless body with a Leica R compatible mount at Photokina 2010. In my dreams. But a friend loaned me his Canon 1Ds and, as soon as I saw the results I was getting with the Leica lenses, I picked up a 1Ds2 body.

The Summilux-R 35/1.4 isn't compatible with FF Canon bodies but the Contax C/Y 35/1.4 is and, after seeing a variety of sample images at FredMiranda.com, I bought one. If I could only use one lens on a FF DSLR, this would be it. Two lenses? I'd add the Elmarit-R Macro 60/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Then I started buying Leica R lenses in the expectation that Leica/Panasonic would announce a mirrorless body with a Leica R compatible mount at Photokina 2010. In my dreams.
    It's been reality for about two years if you count the R-adapter for the m4/3 mount offered by Panasonic. Here's a link: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    It's been reality for about two years if you count the R-adapter for the m4/3 mount offered by Panasonic. Here's a link: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702.
    My bad, I should have expressed myself more clearly: I have Leica R to m4/3 adapters, I wanted a mirrorless body with a Leica R compatible mount and a 24x36 sensor. I got tired of the 2x FoV multiplier.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonathon

speaking as one who wishes for full frame size in compact body I would ask:

I replaced my Nikon DSLRs (too bulky and heavy) with the Panasonic kit ... as I saw the results I was getting with the Leica lenses, I picked up a 1Ds2 body.
    would that not be as bulky?

Post Thanks / Like

A sample gallery has now been put up at Dpreview for this lens.

There is also an interesting (quick n dirty) comparison with the 20/1.7. To my surprise I really do think the 25/1.4 is sharper, wide open.

Maybe, this really is a Summilux...

Louis

thearne3

Interesting comparison to the 20 1.7. From what I can see, the sharpness is comparable. However, the 25 1.4 shows significant blue CA around the white stripes in the man's jersey...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearne3 View Post
    Interesting comparison to the 20 1.7. From what I can see, the sharpness is comparable. However, the 25 1.4 shows significant blue CA around the white stripes in the man's jersey...
    Darn! I thought it was too good to be true. I wonder if the camera needs a firmware update to cope with the lens?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

The new lens looks interesting to me. Having said that, though, I have made some nice images with the 20/1.7—and although I have the 14/2.5 and the 45/2.8, the 20 is on the G1 80% of the time.

Still looks interesting, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon

speaking as one who wishes for full frame size in compact body I would ask:

would that not be as bulky?
    Way more bulky! Yet bulky (and heavy) in a totally satisfying way. It's ironic that I abandoned Nikon bodies because they were too heavy and bulky but wound up with a Canon pro body. And if I were to go back to Nikon (unlikely, because hardly any 3rd party lenses can be adapted to Nikon bodies), I'd want a D3x.

I was never the slightest bit interested in Canon bodies/lenses but the Canon 1D series body plus Leica/Zeiss lenses suits me perfectly. Go figure.

I might be tempted by the rumored Mark II version of Canon's 35/1.4L (AF would be nice on occasion) but the Canon lens would have to match the quality of my Contax C/Y 35/1.4. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Dpreview comparison

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    There is also an interesting (quick n dirty) comparison with the 20/1.7. To my surprise I really do think the 25/1.4 is sharper, wide open.
    And to mine, the visible difference in distortion in the man's face in the image taken with a 40mm equivalent versus a 50mm; neither the recommended focal length for portraits but the 20/1.7, much as I like it is definitely not for face shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Dpreview comparison

And to mine, the visible difference in distortion in the man's face in the image taken with a 40mm equivalent versus a 50mm
    Don't you think big part of that perspective change, if not all of it, is attributable to DPR's getting closer to subject with 20 than they did with 25? It is obvious they are closer because person occupies more percentage of real estate in shot with 20 even though opposite would have been true if both were shot from same distance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They just added a couple of additional shots to the comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    They just added a couple of additional shots to the comparison.
    ... and in one where they kept aperture apples to apples they did not keep perspective apples to apples, while in other they did not keep neither aperture nor perspective apple to apple, nor was seemingly white balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Perspective Change

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Don't you think big part of that perspective change, if not all of it, is attributable to DPR's getting closer to subject with 20 than they did with 25? It is obvious they are closer because person occupies more percentage of real estate in shot with 20 even though opposite would have been true if both were shot from same distance.
    OK but only very slightly closer so as to fill the frame with the same amount; it's the difference between a 40mm and a 50mm, it doesn't warrant such a variation in distortion. I'm not knocking the 20mm for what it is, an excellent lens which I also use, I am however still surprised at the comparison with a lens that is only marginally longer in declared focal length.
    I say 'declared' because now we can see more comparisons in DPR's article it seems to me that in 35mm terms it looks more like the difference between a 35mm lens and a 50mm, the increased depth of field, albeit taking into account the f/1.7 to f/1.4 factor, is also significant.

Post Thanks / Like

I was never the slightest bit interested in Canon bodies/lenses but the Canon 1D series body plus Leica/Zeiss lenses suits me perfectly. Go figure.
    feel a bit that way about the oly lenses I have ... keeps me thinking of a 5D