The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 vs 2 and 3

pellicle

Hi

with the GF-2 out and the GF-3 on the way, I confess I'm a bit curious on why the GF-1 used prices remain at not far from what they were new (body only) while the new prices of the 2 and 3 are quite the same as the used prices of the GF-1.

What makes the GF-1 better than the GF-2 or 3?

just wondering what I'm missing

Diane B

People seem to prefer the aesthetics, control knobs and buttons and size of the GF1 it seems to me. I've heard it said more than once that the GF2 and especially the GF3 are "dumbed down" and not aimed at the serious photographer. So--the GF1 is becoming a bit of a "cult" body ( my terminology for want of better). The GF3 doesn't have a hot shoe, very few controls and has the clicker dial like P&S instead of the dial. Also very tiny and the dreaded term, "cute".

biglouis

Not that I've handled one but the G3 appeals a lot more to me as a successor to the GF-1 than the GF-2 or the new GF-3. The G3 looks like a GF-1 with a bump on it, if you know what I mean. If I was a GF-1 owner I'd upgrade to that. Instead, I sold my Gf-1 and got a GH-2 back in January.

LouisB

ReeRay

People seem to prefer the aesthetics, control knobs and buttons and size of the GF1 it seems to me. I've heard it said more than once that the GF2 and especially the GF3 are "dumbed down" and not aimed at the serious photographer. So--the GF1 is becoming a bit of a "cult" body ( my terminology for want of better). The GF3 doesn't have a hot shoe, very few controls and has the clicker dial like P&S instead of the dial. Also very tiny and the dreaded term, "cute".
Good summary - totally agree

apicius9

I keep looking at these small ones, wondering if I want one to replace my LX3 as a small companion to the GH2. And I keep thinking, what I really want is an LX3 with the 12MP m4/3 sensor and mount. As it is, I think I am better off just keeping it. If I weren't so spoiled by the convenience (and low price) of digital, I might just buy an Olympus XA again...

Stefan

R

radatax

There's also the hackability factor ;) The GF1/GH1 can be hacked to output lovely 720p/1080p video at high quality, far above the original bitrates. The latest patches also allow full manual controls, NTSC/PAL switching and multiple language support. The GF1's a beast of a camera in a pretty small package.

Diane B

Not that I've handled one but the G3 appeals a lot more to me as a successor to the GF-1 than the GF-2 or the new GF-3. The G3 looks like a GF-1 with a bump on it, if you know what I mean. If I was a GF-1 owner I'd upgrade to that. Instead, I sold my Gf-1 and got a GH-2 back in January.

LouisB
I haven't handled one either but have the same feeling. I was planning to buy a GH2 but made myself wait until the G3 announcement. The one control I use all the time is missing but is able to be added to one of the function buttons so I feel that will do fine. Otherwise, size is similar to the GF1 which I like but not nearly as much as my G1 with the very good EVF, tilt LCD and grip. The grip on the G3 is greatly diminished but more than GF1 so I hope I see mine next week to decide. If I find size or lack of manual controls bothers me I'll buy a GH2 or wait for the GH3. The fact that the GF1 Is hackable doesn't mean anything to me since I'm a still shooter. I will remember that tho' if I decide to sell my GF1 LOL.

Diane

usathyan

I am not ready to give up GF1 yet - Looking at the specs, it feels like the GF1 users will downgrade their functionality by upgrading the camera :).

Diane B

I am not ready to give up GF1 yet - Looking at the specs, it feels like the GF1 users will downgrade their functionality by upgrading the camera :).
I think that's true if you upgrade to GF3 but following the rumors it appears that there will be a GF1 form body for enthusiasts later in the year. However, much as I like my GF1 in many ways, I miss a good EVF and tilt screen so functionally it misses the mark for me. I don't tend to use the left hand top knob at all and the one button I use for almost every shot, the AEL, will be set to one of the two Fn buttons and will (should) be in a better place ergonomically for me. So-functionally the G3 will work better for me in a similar size/shape to my GF1--though not as "traditional" aesthetically. I also like the fact that the G3 has a bit more functional grip than my GF1. Without it in hand tho' I can't be sure. I'll still be open to the purported new GF for enthusiasts or the GH3 but the reported better sensor and processing engine of the G3 should be a nice upgrade for now.

Diane

Pelao

I think that's true if you upgrade to GF3 but following the rumors it appears that there will be a GF1 form body for enthusiasts later in the year. However, much as I like my GF1 in many ways, I miss a good EVF and tilt screen so functionally it misses the mark for me. I don't tend to use the left hand top knob at all and the one button I use for almost every shot, the AEL, will be set to one of the two Fn buttons and will (should) be in a better place ergonomically for me. So-functionally the G3 will work better for me in a similar size/shape to my GF1--though not as "traditional" aesthetically. I also like the fact that the G3 has a bit more functional grip than my GF1. Without it in hand tho' I can't be sure. I'll still be open to the purported new GF for enthusiasts or the GH3 but the reported better sensor and processing engine of the G3 should be a nice upgrade for now.

Diane

Diane, thanks for posting this. It's what I wanted to write, but you are much more articulate. You saved me some typing...
Stephen

ggibson

Each GF is very similar. I think others pinpointed the differences that have kept the GF1 so popular: physical controls and the manual video hack. Part of the popularity came from the 20mm kit, for sure.

Besides that, the GF2 and GF3 bodies have some nice advantages over the GF1. Smaller size, and bounce-able flash are a couple. Also the GF2 has a stereo mic (MUCH improved audio from the sample comparison I heard). Some people say the touchscreen is a downside, but most opinions I've read from people who have used the GF2 for extended periods say that they like it. I've played with the touch-to-focus/shoot on the GF2 and it's really cool.

So most of the differences are ergonomics & controls. The RAW output & performance is 99% the same between all three cameras, which is why the GF1 can still hold its own. I've thought about upgrading before, but the improvements aren't really enough until there's a better performing sensor. The G3 is pretty intriguing for that reason.

gfspencer

People seem to prefer the aesthetics, control knobs and buttons and size of the GF1 it seems to me.
That's why I'm keeping my GF-1. Besides, the GF-1 looks like a rangefinder and I'm partial to Leica Ms. (On numerous occasions people have confused my GF-1 for my Leica M8.)

T

taphapy

I'm keeping my gf1 also. However, since I got the gf2 I haven't used the gf1 at all.
Go figure.

Diane B

I'm keeping my gf1 also. However, since I got the gf2 I haven't used the gf1 at all.
Go figure.
I bought the G3 which has essentially replaced my GF1 (and G1) but I'm hanging onto the GF1 since it fits so nicely in the corner of a bag as a backup body for travel. My husband is deciding also whether he wants to use the G1 or GF1 to replace a G9. I also haven't used my GF1 (nor the G1 for that matter) since I got the G3.

DHart

My GF1 has been sitting idle since the G3 and GF3 arrived, but I am having a hard time getting it up for sale. I love it, but the newer models are prevailing. The G3 is an especially capable, full featured camera.... It has kept my GH2 idle as well.

gfspencer

LouisB
I hadn't even thought about a G3 until you mentioned it but you're right, if I were going to upgrade from a GF-1 I would go to a G3.

Pelao

I would agree that currently the G3 is the only Panasonic successor to the GF1.

I am sticking with the GF1 until the current crop of updates are finished, including clarity around the rumoured new GF.

W

Willabeast

I only recently got a GF1 (on sale for $1K with the 20mm pancake and the 45-200mm zoom) and I love it! I can't remember loving a camera before since I've always thought of a camera as a tool. There's something about the design of the GF1 that just seems "right". If I had to buy a new camera, however, it would be the G3 or the EP3. I'm hoping Panasonic will come up with a real upgrade to the GF1... keeping the buttons and clickable wheel functionality.

I'm not keen about touch screens. The one on the iphone works wonderfully well but when I tried the GF2 I found I had to push buttons several times to get a response and that I had to push quite hard. I couldn't keep focus and composition balanced.

I also wonder how the touch screen would work with an EVF. If I switch to the EVF is the touch screen disabled? I also work that the tilt hinge on the LCD is likely to fail. What are your experiences?

What I'd like to see is a GF1 with improved high ISO performance (I'd accept fewer pixels) and an EVF built in to the body like some of the old 110 cameras, not like the hump on an SLR. The hump makes sense for a mirror SLR but without the mirror there is no need for the EVF to be above the lens. The information is electronic so the information gathered by the lens can easily be sent to the EVF. The EVF could be in a different country, for that matter, so it should be no problem to put it off to the side.

Here's hoping for some more imaginative thinking!

mediumcool

I keep looking at these small ones, wondering if I want one to replace my LX3 as a small companion to the GH2. And I keep thinking, what I really want is an LX3 with the 12MP m4/3 sensor and mount. As it is, I think I am better off just keeping it. If I weren't so spoiled by the convenience (and low price) of digital, I might just buy an Olympus XA again...

Stefan
I went from an LX3 to a GF1 and while I miss the fast (but limited) zoom, the GF1 is much more of a serious camera AFAIAC.