The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Q a no-go for enthusiasts

Godfrey

Well, if so many 'enthusiasts' are producing work that people like with an iPhone, I guess some might go for this little system...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Well, if so many 'enthusiasts' are producing work that people like with an iPhone, I guess some might go for this little system...
Me for one! I fell for the Auto 110 and I am still using the lenses on my G1.
Some photographers produce their best work when challenged with limited capability in their tools

Keith

Some photographers produce their best work when challenged with limited capability in their tools

Keith
For decades I've been wondering how to produce my best work.

Great idea.

I'll add noise to all my D700 and X100 RAW files, and reduce the dynamic range before I start post-production work.

simonclivehughes

Hey, it's designed to be "cute"... they'll probably sell them by the boatload, especially in Asia. The bottom line to these guys is the bottom line let's remember. They are not interested in designing and selling to the minority like us. If they bundle this camera with those accessory dogs that you see all the young & chic with these days, they'll make a fortune.

Cheers,

Last edited:

RichA

No in-camera shutter, the viewfinder (which I thought for $250 was a real EVF) turns out to be a rangefinder pointing optical finder and the camera apparently has a second-rate Sony sensor, vastly outclassed by Canon and Panasonic P&S sensors.
For $800!!!

m3photo

Now, now children ...

Look at it this way, the more people get hooked on cute cameras that take small, so-so pictures - the sooner they ditch their DSLRs and we start getting commissioned work again, n'est-ce pas?

Photomorgana

I have to say that Pentax is very smart, cause they found the way to sell bunch of junk toy lenses with a digicam.
Good marketing move for them, indifferent news for majority of us.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
For decades I've been wondering how to produce my best work.

Great idea.

I'll add noise to all my D700 and X100 RAW files, and reduce the dynamic range before I start post-production work.
I think you will like it. There are prize winners out there. The one shot by Capa of the soldier in the water at the D-Day landing comes to mind - lots of noise and no dynamic range. Maybe experiment with the X100 and use the D700 for perfect-pixel-police shots :D

Keith

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't think I'll buy one, but that's for financial reasons. My coffers are shallow and I can't buy anything. But if I could, I would. Looks like a fun camera and if they've got the low ISO image quality right, awesome photos can probably be made.

I can see adapters popping up for this one as well, and for those with telephoto needs, some compact legacy glass, like Olympus OM, would give really impressive reach, if they can resolve enough for this tiny sensor. Am I correct in assuming the crop factor is around 5.5x? That would make my OM Zuiko 100mm a 550mm eqv.

RichA

Re: Pentax Q a go-go for enthusiasts

Well, I don't use my GH2 because it has awesome IQ, so I may have a place for the Pentax Q.

Best,

Bill
So does Pentax; China and Japan. But remember, that's where you can also find $5.00 RCA cables connection $10k audio amps. No, I won't start delving into high-end audio, it's too painful. :) Suffice to say $800 for what will probably be the equivalent image-wise of a $250 P&S is just...wrong. However, Pentax is apparently making some money from their small market share so I hope for the sake of more players in the market this allows them to keep that going.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The price is in the same area as the difference between an M9 and an M9P. Now, which upgrade will be the most fun or the most valuable.

As long as it's not harmful to anything or anybody, it can't be wrong, but it can be fun :)

pellicle

too right ... I would *still* use mine if I could 1) buy film 2) get it developed

its just *soooo* cute

so I make do with the lenses on my G1 which is of course so much bigger

or with whatever camera they happen to have ...

pellicle

Hey, and these features have to be worth something:

Alongside the Q, Pentax has announced a series of lenses, which will become available in the coming months. In addition to the 47mm equiv. '01 Standard Prime' there will be the '02 Standard Zoom.' This $299 28-83mm equivalent F2.8-4.5 lens will, like the Standard Prime, offer a built-in ND filter and lens shutter, allowing flash sync all the way up to 1/2000th of a second.

In addition to these relatively high-end lenses, Pentax will offer three other lens options that highlight the camera's youthful, creative potential, as well as its enthusiast appeal. The manual focus '03 FishEye' offers a 160° field of view and a fixed F5.6 aperture. Meanwhile, the 35mm equiv. '04 Toy Lens Wide' and 100mm equiv. '05 Toy Lens Telephoto' are fixed aperture, manual focus lenses designed to recreate the look of cheaply-made film cameras such as the Diana. Each will cost under $100.