The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Q a no-go for enthusiasts

raist3d

No in-camera shutter, the viewfinder (which I thought for $250 was a real EVF) turns out to be a rangefinder pointing optical finder and the camera apparently has a second-rate Sony sensor, vastly outclassed by Canon and Panasonic P&S sensors.
For $800!!!
No in camera shutter is actually good here. Look at the flash sync speed- all the way up to 1/2000th with the built in flash, 1/250th with external one. I am not saying there are other cons but I don't get why lens shutter is supposed to be so bad.

- Raist

pellicle

Hi

There should be some in-camera shutter mechanism because the cheaper manual focus, fixed aperture, fish-eye and toy lenses don't have built in ones:
I would wonder how many (as a percentage) Panasonic G and Oly Pen owners use these? I would think its something like 5% at most. I work with a number of people who own SLR cameras and none of them grasp this concept.

For example, I show them what I've done with my camera and mention they can do similar things with theirs (say Canon EOS with OM lenses).

"Oh can you"

They say things like they'd like a lens for portraits and I say sure, so I buy them a cheapo adaptor and bring in a lens like a 50 f1.8 and let them try it.

they then don't really get good results because they orget to focus or something like that.

So Eastman hit the maket on the head with the Box Brownier which sold under the moniker "You push the button, we do the rest." Although now its you take the camera and the magic box does the rest.

Pat Donnelly

But forums like this and the many blogs inspire us don't they?

Don't forget the Kenko and the Nikon patents for a similar (?) system?
The competition and proliferation of bodies and lenses just means more opportunities for whatever, but overall, an increase of fun?

Pat Donnelly

Pellicle

I offered three manual focus lenses to a friend of my son on sale or return.

All three came back with no comments! 180mm 2.8 Nikkor, not ED, an Elicar 90mm 2.5 macro and Tamron 30-210mm. He uses a Nikon 7000...... AF clearly too easy? I'll never know.

Amateurs are rare. Lovers of photography or pixelpeepers, we are a rare breed. I foresee a depression and many will have less money and more time ... so hobbies will increase.

Tesselator

hwoodmancy said:
Me for one! I fell for the Auto 110 and I am still using the lenses on my G1.
Some photographers produce their best work when challenged with limited capability in their tools

Keith

G1 with Pentax-110 24mm/2.8 :watch:

So "their best work" would be a portfolio called "Smeary Reality", "Seeing Life Through The Eyes of Those Who Need Glasses", or "A Burst of Blur" ?

:D

RichA

Re: Cheap Look

err ... well yes ... but after you've paid that its cheap :)

anyway ... what have the romans ever done for *us*
I'd rather (if the camera could use it) use a nice used c-mount lens for $40 or so, or a normal prime used from any one of many camera families. IMO, the Sony NEX is a better solution than the novelty Pentax if ultimate size is an issue.

hakkalo

too right ... I would *still* use mine if I could 1) buy film 2) get it developed

its just *soooo* cute

so I make do with the lenses on my G1 which is of course so much bigger

or with whatever camera they happen to have ...
A giant and a dwarf:ROTFL: