The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Diane B

You can set the bottom Fn button also for AEL. I'm experimenting with which one suits me better. The AEL/AFL button on G1, GF1 was in the wrong spot for me so one of these may actually be better. But it depends I suspect on one's hands and how the camera/lens is held.

raist3d

Wow, could this be the first Panasonic JPEG engine whose colors I actually like in a very long long long Looooong time?

How did you feel the camera responded to you when doing all these autofocusing? Does the G3 has the "pinch focus" or is that GF3 only?

- Raist

Terry

Wow, could this be the first Panasonic JPEG engine whose colors I actually like in a very long long long Looooong time?

How did you feel the camera responded to you when doing all these autofocusing? Does the G3 has the "pinch focus" or is that GF3 only?

- Raist
When you say pinch focus are you talking pinpoint focus (true spot focus) or are you talking about touch the screen on the spot you want it to focus? I had the camera set to face detection. I generally don't have the camera set there but decided to try shooting that way and it was still very fast to focus.

In these shots from the parade, I didn't really do anything to the colors with hue/sat/lum my changes were mostly to even out the exposure to boost up the subjects and try and tame the background highlights.

RonSmith

Great shots, Terry, and thanks for the review. You make me glad I placed my order for a G3/14-42 kit last month with Panasonic. It will get here eventually, I suppose. I'm planning on putting the 14-42 on one of my G1s and give it to my 16-year old son. The G3 looks like it will be a good replacement for my GF1 and companion to my GH2.

mach330

anyone have a metabones adapter and confirm if it fits the g3? it looks like the top portion of where it says LUMIX on the camera might not fit the focus ring. can anyone confirm?

Steve Fines

anyone have a metabones adapter and confirm if it fits the g3? it looks like the top portion of where it says LUMIX on the camera might not fit the focus ring. can anyone confirm?
If you had the measurements handy I could check. I've tried the Novoflex adapter on the G3 with M lenses and that works fine.

mach330

If you had the measurements handy I could check. I've tried the Novoflex adapter on the G3 with M lenses and that works fine.
ok so diamater is about 2.75". from the edge of the outer circle (focus ring) to the inner circle (where the lens attaches) is around 0.75".

Steve Fines

The outer diameter if the Novoflex is 58mm, which is a fair bit smaller.

The depth of the Novoflex is 8mm.

Holding a 2.75" piece of tape up to the mount it is going to be close with the part of the camera that says "Lumix", so I guess I really cannot answer your question.

mach330

The outer diameter if the Novoflex is 58mm, which is a fair bit smaller.

The depth of the Novoflex is 8mm.

Holding a 2.75" piece of tape up to the mount it is going to be close with the part of the camera that says "Lumix", so I guess I really cannot answer your question.
no worries. thx for checking. 2.75" equates to 70mm. i hope it fits.

anyone else has a metabones?

mach330

i guess i'll find out myself in a few days. called panasonic to cancel my g3 preorder. i wanted to see how the new olympus e-p3 is first. low and behold..they shipped it yesterday. i guess i'll keep it for a bit then or at least try out the panny controls. i do like the ibis of olympus though which is why i kind'a wanted to wait.

ecsh

Got my 3 today. Had to cancel the order from Panasonic since i got it off ebay. This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder. Nice size, and no problems holding it.
Waiting for the usual battery charge now. I see the batteries are the same as the GF2, which list at 50.00 at B&H.
Joe

Pelao

This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder
That is exactly what I thought when I picked it up at a trade show. Of course, it's really a GF1 with VF and articulating screen...

I was a bit circumspect about the removal of some direct controls, but the two Fn buttons, plus the click wheel I like so much, work well.

I am sorely tempted by the G3 largely because of the VF. Part of me though wants to await the GF that Panasonic spoke about, that will cater to 'enthusiasts'...

Terry

One from this evening. Getting to know the Voigtlander 25mm on the G3. I am really looking forward to RAW support. While the jpegs are now much better, I still am craving the RAW files. Hmmm the upload process is making this seem softer than it really is.

ggibson

Great shot, Terry. Thanks for continuing to share. Weather's been good to us this weekend, eh?

jonoslack

Got my 3 today. Had to cancel the order from Panasonic since i got it off ebay. This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder. Nice size, and no problems holding it.
Waiting for the usual battery charge now. I see the batteries are the same as the GF2, which list at 50.00 at B&H.
Joe
HI There Joe
congratulations!
So - the thousand dollar question.
How does the viewfinder compare with the Olympus VF-2?

all the best

ecsh

Jono
I don't know. I have never had the the Olympus counterpart. The GF unit is not so bad. Even panning at a normal speed seems fine. I also enjoy seeing all the info in the viewfinder as well including the histo, so i can make adjustments without taking my eye from the screen. Of course nothing beats the OVF such as the one on my A900 or K5, but for what this is, it is fine.
Joe

raist3d

HI There Joe
congratulations!
So - the thousand dollar question.
How does the viewfinder compare with the Olympus VF-2?

all the best
I have used the Olympus view finder briefly. I find both the Panasonic G3's and the Olympus pretty good. The Olympus doesn't do any kind of color crawl at all, so on that end it's a notch better. However, I don't like the extending view finder the way the VF2 as much as say built in on the Panasonic in terms of feel (but I do prefer the ability to slim the camera by taking it off).

I understad the Pen 3 has some enchancements in how the VF2 will look in terms of refreshing from the sensor and lower light use. I did find the G3 an improvement here over the G1, the G1 I remember started to get a lot of noise and the refresh rate slower down a lot. The G3 does much better here than the G1.

- Raist

jonoslack

I have used the Olympus view finder briefly. I find both the Panasonic G3's and the Olympus pretty good. The Olympus doesn't do any kind of color crawl at all, so on that end it's a notch better. However, I don't like the extending view finder the way the VF2 as much as say built in on the Panasonic in terms of feel (but I do prefer the ability to slim the camera by taking it off).

I understad the Pen 3 has some enchancements in how the VF2 will look in terms of refreshing from the sensor and lower light use. I did find the G3 an improvement here over the G1, the G1 I remember started to get a lot of noise and the refresh rate slower down a lot. The G3 does much better here than the G1.

- Raist
Thanks Ricardo - That's useful information as I'm pretty familiar with the VF-2 viewfinder.

Interesting if it works better on the Pen 3.

all the best