Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting to know the G3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getting to know the G3

Eventually this thread will die out and we can go back to the fun with 4/3 thread but this will be a good repository for information on the G3. Today was my first outing with the camera. Late afternoon before we got fog but lighting was still a little harsh....the days are still a bit long right now

I like the feel of the camera. I don't yet have the buttons optimally set up. I set it up yesterday but was doing more from the screen and my settings don't work as well for using the EVF (fn1/fn2/Qmenu).

The camera seems like a GF1 in size but definitely benefits from the built in EVF and flip out screen. It doesn't feel too small. It is heavier than I expected. I was shooting it with the 14-140 and it din't feel too big for the camera.

The camera feels very responsive in Medium burst mode.

I only shot jpeg at standard settings. I think they need to be optimized a bit but I would normally shoot RAW but there is no LR support just yet. Jpegs look OK but the past month I've been staring at 80mp Phase files so I've gotten really spoiled.

terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Getting to know the G3

Where did you get one??
    Everyone is still OOS.
    I have $625.00 just waiting for my pre-order to come through.
    Tell me, (by PM) and I'll buy the G3 body tonight!

Nice set of samples btw... lots if detail...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got it last weekend from Kenmore Camera in Seattle. Last I heard they only had red in stock. I think they got a big batch because Panasonic was doing an in store event. I did see it posted somewhere that Amazon had it earlier today. Also 17th street Photo in NY apparently had it (go to their website and not through Amazon it is cheaper).

I had pre-ordered from Panasonic direct but no word from them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, please check some higher ISO shots.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Terry, please check some higher ISO shots.
    I can take some but I don't have access to convert the RAWs and frankly don't want to mess around trying to figure the best jpeg settings that I will never use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I got it last weekend from Kenmore Camera in Seattle. Last I heard they only had red in stock. I think they got a big batch because Panasonic was doing an in store event. I did see it posted somewhere that Amazon had it earlier today. Also 17th street Photo in NY apparently had it (go to their website and not through Amazon it is cheaper).

I had pre-ordered from Panasonic direct but no word from them yet.
    Uhhh, the body is still on back order, and I don't have any more than $630.00 tops for just the body.

Maybe I can wait for the next pay, and get a kit for $699.00, 17th has them in stock for now.. and sell the kit lens, I already have an O/14-42ED, no need for the Panny version.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best deal on body only is through Panasonic. I go through their employee purchase program but the same/or close to the same deal was apparently available through Facebook. Give that a try. At some point I will have a body up for sale but I don't know when it will arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the impressions! The G3 looks like a sweet camera. I'm waiting to see what Olympus announces next week.

In the meantime, do you have any shots of the G3 with the pancake lenses (20mm or 14mm) to show the size? Perhaps next to one of your other m4/3 cameras? We need camera pr0n.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    We need camera pr0n.
    This might interest you:

http://www.lawrencephotographic.com/Articles/G3/g3.htm

Post Thanks / Like

@TEBnewyork

Nice pictures! Close up is excellent!
    Next week I'll get my "chocolate" G3 - now summer can begin
    Amazon couldn't deliver, but another dealer delivered within 24h - 45 cheaper than amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Some quick photos of the G3 with the 20/1.7 alongside the E-PL1 with the kit 14-42. One photo with the two of them and the Panasonic ZS6.
    Attachment 45766

Attachment 45767

Attachment 45768

Attachment 45769

Attachment 45770

Attachment 45771

Post Thanks / Like

Viewer of Olympus is "pure horror"

Post Thanks / Like

I spent the afternoon shooting mostly with an MF 24/2.8 but also 4/3 9-18 and 20/1.7. Its lovely to shoot with and I'm not settled in with it at all. In my hand its a cross between G1 and GF1, with MF focusing even easier with the ability to choose the area to magnify by simply touching it. The PiP is okay but I prefer the larger area.

I can't really say much about IQ--only loaded to Ipad tho' I will load into LR but until there's an upgrade for the G3 I can't say too much since I'm a RAW shooter but the jpegs through ISO look good. i shot interiors with very low light and late afternoon outside. So--so far pretty happy with the G3. I was concerned about ergonomics since I shoot so much with MF but it seems fine. Camera balances nicely with my lenses and handling is quite nice. The camera sits in my left hand, easy to focus, all the buttons
    I need under hand. I put the ones I use a lot on the fn buttons and setting Q menu for touch screen.

I got a brown kit. I've had only black since film days. Gone crazy this year LOL with a purple Tenba and the brown G3. Its towards cordovan under interior lights and metallic milky chocolate in daylight. Quite understated with the broad band of black around the body. I like it a lot--it was a risk that I would hate it but its a keeper.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane the brown looks cool. I was deciding to live on the edge as well and went for screaming white. Like you I WANT raw support (stomps foot).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Diane. I have been following your anticipation on receiving the G3 and I hope it was worth the wait. After reading the high praise from forum members here and elsewhere I bought one today with the 14-42 kit lens. This is my first Pany m4/3d although I had an Oly EP2 a couple of years ago.
    I am finding the menu system a little unusual but I will get use to it and then hopefully be able to concentrate on getting the best out of the camera.
    Have you tried the Silkypix software to convert the raw files yet?

Have fun and post some pics soon.

Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

Post Thanks / Like

I probably won't load the Silkypix since I'm a Lightroom (plus a bit of PS) person. I'm shooting RAW + jpeg but since they are all really just test shooting may not even load to LR unless I shoot some worthwhile ones in meantime.

It appears to be worth the wait but can't comment on IQ until I can compare G1/GF1 processed RAWs to G3 processed RAWs. Jpegs def. better and I am finding pluses to be happy with ergonomic wise and usage wise.

I do like the brown <smile>

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I probably won't load the Silkypix since I'm a Lightroom (plus a bit of PS) person. I'm shooting RAW + jpeg but since they are all really just test shooting may not even load to LR unless I shoot some worthwhile ones in meantime.

It appears to be worth the wait but can't comment on IQ until I can compare G1/GF1 processed RAWs to G3 processed RAWs. Jpegs def. better and I am finding pluses to be happy with ergonomic wise and usage wise.

I do like the brown <smile>
    Hi Diane
    I have been looking forward to your first hand reports. It's good to hear that (so far) you don't regret the purchase.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the next installment (year three) of the Pride Parade in San Francisco. The last two years were shot with Sony (A900 and then NEX). The lighting is always really hard to deal with. Summer midday and hard to get positioned to protect highlight. Again only working with the jpegs.

Don't want to be caught parading without that last minute manicure

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry
    No idea about the camera - but those are great shots - especiall enjoyed these two:
    Here is the next installment (year three) of the Pride Parade in San Francisco. The last two years were shot with Sony (A900 and then NEX). The lighting is always really hard to deal with. Summer midday and hard to get positioned to protect highlight. Again only working with the jpegs.

Don't want to be caught parading without that last minute manicure

Great Stuff

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Great photos and thoughts.

I've had the g3 for a weekend. I have a spot where I do a lot of loon photography - usually with a 600/4 and a pro dslr body. Given the reports of how fast focusing the G3 was I wanted to try it out with the 100-300 and see how it fared. My thoughts are really geared towards this alone and not all the other ways one might use the camera.

It is fast to focus, no doubt. However, after a weekend I'd have to say it is not bif fast or sports fast, but something a little less. The viewfinder blacking out between shots is just a game stopper for fast moving subjects. There is a "medium burst" speed where the viewfinder doesn't black out, but it in all honesty is pretty slow. (about 3fps) Even with birds moving at a steady speed across the field my keeper rate was really really low, and with birds coming directly at me my in focus percent was a solid zero.

Also, with fast moving subjects it is handy to be able to do focus with one button and exposure with another. One can do this by customizing the top button on the G3, but it is in totally the wrong spot on the camera to be ergonomic.

Last big gripe is that they took away the auto on-off of the EVF. Good grief - this is such a stupid omission. I imagine that after some time pressing the button to switch this will become second nature, but the GH2 is worlds nicer in this regard.

Now, all that said this is a fun camera to use. I liked the size, and with the 100-300 it is a tiny, lightweight long lens solution. For subjects moving not too fast the focus speed is excellent and accurate.

Here are a few loons and a beaver. I was in this beaver's territory and she kept false charging me and doing the tail slap on the water. Unfortunately the property tax statement says it is my territory, so we'll have to figure that out.

And of course as Adobe hasn't included this camera yet these are raws converted with Silkypix, which I really don't have a good feel for. Highest iso on these was 500 so I didn't bother with nr.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

Post Thanks / Like

You can set the bottom Fn button also for AEL. I'm experimenting with which one suits me better. The AEL/AFL button on G1, GF1 was in the wrong spot for me so one of these may actually be better. But it depends I suspect on one's hands and how the camera/lens is held.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, could this be the first Panasonic JPEG engine whose colors I actually like in a very long long long Looooong time?

How did you feel the camera responded to you when doing all these autofocusing? Does the G3 has the "pinch focus" or is that GF3 only?

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Wow, could this be the first Panasonic JPEG engine whose colors I actually like in a very long long long Looooong time?

How did you feel the camera responded to you when doing all these autofocusing? Does the G3 has the "pinch focus" or is that GF3 only?

- Raist
    When you say pinch focus are you talking pinpoint focus (true spot focus) or are you talking about touch the screen on the spot you want it to focus? I had the camera set to face detection. I generally don't have the camera set there but decided to try shooting that way and it was still very fast to focus.

In these shots from the parade, I didn't really do anything to the colors with hue/sat/lum my changes were mostly to even out the exposure to boost up the subjects and try and tame the background highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots, Terry, and thanks for the review. You make me glad I placed my order for a G3/14-42 kit last month with Panasonic. It will get here eventually, I suppose. I'm planning on putting the 14-42 on one of my G1s and give it to my 16-year old son. The G3 looks like it will be a good replacement for my GF1 and companion to my GH2.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a metabones adapter and confirm if it fits the g3? it looks like the top portion of where it says LUMIX on the camera might not fit the focus ring. can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    anyone have a metabones adapter and confirm if it fits the g3? it looks like the top portion of where it says LUMIX on the camera might not fit the focus ring. can anyone confirm?
    If you had the measurements handy I could check. I've tried the Novoflex adapter on the G3 with M lenses and that works fine.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    If you had the measurements handy I could check. I've tried the Novoflex adapter on the G3 with M lenses and that works fine.
    ok so diamater is about 2.75". from the edge of the outer circle (focus ring) to the inner circle (where the lens attaches) is around 0.75".

Post Thanks / Like

The outer diameter if the Novoflex is 58mm, which is a fair bit smaller.

The depth of the Novoflex is 8mm.

Holding a 2.75" piece of tape up to the mount it is going to be close with the part of the camera that says "Lumix", so I guess I really cannot answer your question.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    The outer diameter if the Novoflex is 58mm, which is a fair bit smaller.

The depth of the Novoflex is 8mm.

Holding a 2.75" piece of tape up to the mount it is going to be close with the part of the camera that says "Lumix", so I guess I really cannot answer your question.
    no worries. thx for checking. 2.75" equates to 70mm. i hope it fits.

anyone else has a metabones?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Viewer of Olympus is "pure horror"
    Bulky looking, but less panning colour smear than the old G1/G2 EVFs. Don't know how it'll compare to the G3. GH2 was better.

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i'll find out myself in a few days. called panasonic to cancel my g3 preorder. i wanted to see how the new olympus e-p3 is first. low and behold..they shipped it yesterday. i guess i'll keep it for a bit then or at least try out the panny controls. i do like the ibis of olympus though which is why i kind'a wanted to wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my 3 today. Had to cancel the order from Panasonic since i got it off ebay. This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder. Nice size, and no problems holding it.
    Waiting for the usual battery charge now. I see the batteries are the same as the GF2, which list at 50.00 at B&H.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder
    That is exactly what I thought when I picked it up at a trade show. Of course, it's really a GF1 with VF and articulating screen...

I was a bit circumspect about the removal of some direct controls, but the two Fn buttons, plus the click wheel I like so much, work well.

I am sorely tempted by the G3 largely because of the VF. Part of me though wants to await the GF that Panasonic spoke about, that will cater to 'enthusiasts'...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from this evening. Getting to know the Voigtlander 25mm on the G3. I am really looking forward to RAW support. While the jpegs are now much better, I still am craving the RAW files. Hmmm the upload process is making this seem softer than it really is.

terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great shot, Terry. Thanks for continuing to share. Weather's been good to us this weekend, eh?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Got my 3 today. Had to cancel the order from Panasonic since i got it off ebay. This remind me of a GF1 with a built in viewfinder. Nice size, and no problems holding it.
    Waiting for the usual battery charge now. I see the batteries are the same as the GF2, which list at 50.00 at B&H.
    Joe
    HI There Joe
    congratulations!
    So - the thousand dollar question.
    How does the viewfinder compare with the Olympus VF-2?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono
    I don't know. I have never had the the Olympus counterpart. The GF unit is not so bad. Even panning at a normal speed seems fine. I also enjoy seeing all the info in the viewfinder as well including the histo, so i can make adjustments without taking my eye from the screen. Of course nothing beats the OVF such as the one on my A900 or K5, but for what this is, it is fine.
    Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Great shot, Terry. Thanks for continuing to share. Weather's been good to us this weekend, eh?
    Weather is glorious in the city. Hopefully those in the east bay aren't roasting in the heat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Joe
    congratulations!
    So - the thousand dollar question.
    How does the viewfinder compare with the Olympus VF-2?

all the best
    I have used the Olympus view finder briefly. I find both the Panasonic G3's and the Olympus pretty good. The Olympus doesn't do any kind of color crawl at all, so on that end it's a notch better. However, I don't like the extending view finder the way the VF2 as much as say built in on the Panasonic in terms of feel (but I do prefer the ability to slim the camera by taking it off).

I understad the Pen 3 has some enchancements in how the VF2 will look in terms of refreshing from the sensor and lower light use. I did find the G3 an improvement here over the G1, the G1 I remember started to get a lot of noise and the refresh rate slower down a lot. The G3 does much better here than the G1.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I have used the Olympus view finder briefly. I find both the Panasonic G3's and the Olympus pretty good. The Olympus doesn't do any kind of color crawl at all, so on that end it's a notch better. However, I don't like the extending view finder the way the VF2 as much as say built in on the Panasonic in terms of feel (but I do prefer the ability to slim the camera by taking it off).

I understad the Pen 3 has some enchancements in how the VF2 will look in terms of refreshing from the sensor and lower light use. I did find the G3 an improvement here over the G1, the G1 I remember started to get a lot of noise and the refresh rate slower down a lot. The G3 does much better here than the G1.

- Raist
    Thanks Ricardo - That's useful information as I'm pretty familiar with the VF-2 viewfinder.

Interesting if it works better on the Pen 3.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my G3 from Panasonic Direct - finally!

One of my concerns before buying this camera was whether I would miss the automatic LCD/EVF switchover but I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal as I mainly use EVF mode anyway and don't chimp that much.

What I didn't expect is that the lack of automatic switchover creates an issue with the EVF as follows:

If I leave my camera in my bag ready to shoot (ie camera ON and lens cap removed) and whip it out to take a photo, the EVF will "white out" for a few seconds before you can see anything.

This seems to be a repercussion of the EVF gaining up while in the bag since it sees very little light. Once you pull out the camera into proper light, it takes the EVF a while to gain back down to a viewable level. This creates a significant lag when you sometimes need to shoot something that is moving or a scene that is transient in nature.

This does not happen on the G1 where the camera will automatically switch over to LCD mode when thrown into my bag - so the EVF does not gain itself up.

My guess is Panasonic did not envision this problem happening - that or they simply did not think most folks would run into this or care if they did.

The workaround to this would be to leave the camera in LCD and have to press the EVF button when you need the camera - but this also involves a delay (though maybe less than the EVF issue presents). I suppose you could leave the camera in image preview mode and then only need to half press the shutter release button to get back to the EVF but I am not sure what happens when the camera is left in image preview for an extended period of time - will have to experiment with this...

Anyone else experience this problem? Has anyone thought of a good workaround?

Cheers,
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about sleep mode? Is the camera never going to sleep in your bag?

Post Thanks / Like

What about sleep mode? Is the camera never going to sleep in your bag?
    Haven't got to that point yet - still shooting at lots of things so the camera hasn't been idle long enough to go to sleep ;-)

The problem would still exist during the interval before going to sleep.

I suppose the easy answer is not to put it in the bag - but sometimes, that is how I work.
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    Just got my G3 from Panasonic Direct - finally!

One of my concerns before buying this camera was whether I would miss the automatic LCD/EVF switchover but I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal as I mainly use EVF mode anyway and don't chimp that much.

What I didn't expect is that the lack of automatic switchover creates an issue with the EVF as follows:

If I leave my camera in my bag ready to shoot (ie camera ON and lens cap removed) and whip it out to take a photo, the EVF will "white out" for a few seconds before you can see anything.

This seems to be a repercussion of the EVF gaining up while in the bag since it sees very little light. Once you pull out the camera into proper light, it takes the EVF a while to gain back down to a viewable level. This creates a significant lag when you sometimes need to shoot something that is moving or a scene that is transient in nature.

This does not happen on the G1 where the camera will automatically switch over to LCD mode when thrown into my bag - so the EVF does not gain itself up.

My guess is Panasonic did not envision this problem happening - that or they simply did not think most folks would run into this or care if they did.

The workaround to this would be to leave the camera in LCD and have to press the EVF button when you need the camera - but this also involves a delay (though maybe less than the EVF issue presents). I suppose you could leave the camera in image preview mode and then only need to half press the shutter release button to get back to the EVF but I am not sure what happens when the camera is left in image preview for an extended period of time - will have to experiment with this...

Anyone else experience this problem? Has anyone thought of a good workaround?

Cheers,
    Interesting. In the GF1 and attached EVF I have basically the same sat-up, and I don't have this problem. But this is primarily because I work differently. If I am walking around with any intention of shooting I have the camera in hand, usually on a wrist strap. If I do put it into the bag, it's always on occasion when it has enough time to go to sleep.

It would be tedious for me to be constantly reaching into my bag, but of course we each work differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Got today our G3 and so far very pleased:

More images can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPF.../Panasonic-G3/
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

awesome pix. how's the af? how quick is it compare to other mft? is it that much quicker over the g2? compareable with gh2?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    awesome pix. how's the af? how quick is it compare to other mft? is it that much quicker over the g2? compareable with gh2?
    These wer all shot MF with the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 43 Olympus zoom (with slow AF). With the picture-in-picture magnification MF is nice.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

100-300mm zoom at 150mm

Olympus 14-54mm 43 zoom:

Last edited by ustein; 8th July 2011 at 20:49.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

All really nice. Such a nice eye for finding these insignificant details with stories of their own.

Diane