Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: I think I like the G3

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    I think I like the G3

    I bought the G3 with the 14-42 kit lens on June 25th and have been struggling with the menu and downloaded instruction manual. This morning I decided using the camera and learning from my mistakes would be more fun than reading.
    I shot in raw plus jpeg and converted the raws in the free version of Silkypix.

    What do you think of the results? ( I do have thick skin
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  2. #2
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Look pretty familiar to what comes out of the GH2, although the G3 sensor should be a different beast?

    Anyway I would be happy with those results.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: I think I like the G3

    I would also be happy with those. If you have questions on using the camera, the number of people having the G3 is growing and we can all learn together.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Look pretty familiar to what comes out of the GH2, although the G3 sensor should be a different beast?

    Anyway I would be happy with those results.
    Thank you for looking Ptomsu. I am not overly familiar with the Panasonic cameras so what do you mean about the G3 sensor being a different beast? I thought the effective pixels were both about the same. I am aware of the different aspect ratios of the GH2.

    A Panasonic newbie eager to learn
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    They look good Leo. You have more interesting subject matter at hand than I do LOL. I would be happy with the results.

    I think what he meant about sensor is this is a newer sensor in the G3, not the same as GH2 but expectations are that we all will be quite pleased withu RAW results. Now if only LR would get that upgrade out.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I would also be happy with those. If you have questions on using the camera, the number of people having the G3 is growing and we can all learn together.
    Thanks Terry. I will keep reading the downloaded manual and trying various setting before I bore you all with stupid questions or I should say a ton of questions.
    BTW I was pleased to view your Gay Pride pictures. The colors were much better than the jpegs I shot this morning.
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  7. #7
    Member Steve Fines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    These look good to me.

    Getting to know how to use a raw converter well takes time - every time I get a new Panasonic camera I have to live with Silkypix for a few weeks, but it has never struck me as being in the big leagues.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    These look encouraging - the G3 handles leaf detail quite well - much better than my G1.

    The second and third shots have a blue cast to them from the water and sky - were you using auto-WB?

    Thanks for posting - I've been looking for some G3 RAW examples. Now I just wish my G3 would arrive someday before they announce the G4 ;-)

    Cheers,

    Joe

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Diane it's your turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    They look good Leo. You have more interesting subject matter at hand than I do LOL. I would be happy with the results.

    I think what he meant about sensor is this is a newer sensor in the G3, not the same as GH2 but expectations are that we all will be quite pleased withu RAW results. Now if only LR would get that upgrade out.
    Diane your subject matter has always been interesting to me. Since you have the free special edition of Silkypix why not try it ? You can always delete it when LR support is available. My favorite converter is C1 but since I don't expect an upgrade with G3 support for a long time I had to use Silkypix and the results are much better than the jpegs OOC. Since I have Photoshop I don't need LR because I think they have the same converter so I am also looking forward to Adobe's support for the G3. In the meanwhile I will use SP.
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    These look good to me.

    Getting to know how to use a raw converter well takes time - every time I get a new Panasonic camera I have to live with Silkypix for a few weeks, but it has never struck me as being in the big leagues.
    Hi Steve. I agree SP is not in the big leagues but I also have to live with it until C1 or Adobe comes out with support for the G3.
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    These look encouraging - the G3 handles leaf detail quite well - much better than my G1.

    The second and third shots have a blue cast to them from the water and sky - were you using auto-WB?

    Thanks for posting - I've been looking for some G3 RAW examples. Now I just wish my G3 would arrive someday before they announce the G4 ;-)

    Cheers,

    Joe
    Thanks for looking Joe. I think the blue cast that you see is because I was experimenting in SP with a color called Memory Color 1. I used that because the standard color made the sky a little washed out. Yes I was using auto WB
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  12. #12
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo R View Post
    Thank you for looking Ptomsu. I am not overly familiar with the Panasonic cameras so what do you mean about the G3 sensor being a different beast? I thought the effective pixels were both about the same. I am aware of the different aspect ratios of the GH2.

    A Panasonic newbie eager to learn
    It was posted in a number of news about the G3, I think even by Panasonic sometimes, that the G3 sensor is a complete new development. Which I also hardly understand, as the GH2 sensor was already a new development a few months ago and in my opinion producing already great results. So who knows?

    I like the M43 lineup of latest cameras and lenses - meanwhile already decent amount of glass out there. And the GH2 with 14-140 became my everyday reportage camera I really like this thing!

    Enjoy the G3 and keep posting results.

    Peter

  13. #13
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fines View Post
    These look good to me.

    Getting to know how to use a raw converter well takes time - every time I get a new Panasonic camera I have to live with Silkypix for a few weeks, but it has never struck me as being in the big leagues.
    I am using either LR3 or C1 Pro as RAW converters. Aperture is another option if on a Mac. Anything else for me always proved to be a waist of time.

    Maybe that helps

  14. #14
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Any RAW converter for me always proved to be a waste of lifetime. :-)
    I'm ONLY using IrfanView - make simple things simple

  15. #15
    Member Steve Fines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am using either LR3 or C1 Pro as RAW converters. Aperture is another option if on a Mac. Anything else for me always proved to be a waist of time.

    Maybe that helps
    Hi,

    Just a misunderstanding - I (and I suspect most others here) use LR or C1 and would really rather use them, but Adobe hasn't updated its raw converter yet to read G3 files.

    So in the mean time if one wants to shoot raw Silkypix is the only game in town. I really wish they'd just have the camera write dng and skip the Silky business, but in a few weeks Adobe will release an update and I won't have to worry about it again until the G4.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    One's I've tried (forced myself to learn well) which are not a waste of time and that also have a free trial:



    Interestingly enough the two recommended at photography forums most often (LR and Aperture) are among the weakest. Luckily CaptureOne is also recommended often and that rocks pretty hard. Anyway, I've spent actually hundreds of hours learning and comparing the above and none of these are a waste of time. I bounce around between them but spend most of my time in either Bridge/Photoshop where I have nearly 200 plug-ins installed and many scripts at the ready, or CaptureOne which I've also "filled out" so to speak. Mostly (for me) this kind of editing is reserved for print. What I post on-line is mostly just a RAW conversion or maybe with a few tweaks if it's themed thread or etc. I want my on-line posted images to be useful as lens samples so that someone can look at them and know pretty much what the lens is likely to be like on their camera.

    Additionally there are other photo editors which I've heard or read about but don't know well or haven't used at all, so they're not included in the list. A few of the above are quite scientific in nature and as such shine for those who don't mind scripting and who know a little bit of theory.

    Finally there's enough of them there who's demo is fully featured (only time limited) that you could go from one to another consecutively for about 2 or 3 years and never have to fork out any money.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    I have a few questions

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I would also be happy with those. If you have questions on using the camera, the number of people having the G3 is growing and we can all learn together.
    I have looked in the G3 owners manual ( downloaded version ) but could not find clear answers to these items.
    1. Shading Comp. What does it do?
    2. I.DYNAMIC. How is this different from above?
    3. Menu Exit. When I first press the menu set button I can exit by pressing the
    EXIT item that has the arrow beside it however once I enter one of the 5
    choices ( eg REC ) I can't exit the menu without turning off the camera.
    What am I overlooking?
    4. Adobe DNG. I downloaded V. 5.5.0.97 but it does not recognize G3 raws. Do
    you know if there is another version or do we have to wait until a newer
    version is available?

    Meanwhile I still think I like the G3
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Leo, can only answer 3 definitively LOL but will look into the others. To exit menu touch the shutter button. I know--sounds too simple for Panasonic LOL.

    Reading about shading it seems to me its correcting for vignetting with certain lenses. I have mine off. I'll correct in LR if I want. It would probably be helpful for jpeg shooters I'm guessing. IDynamic seems more like its attempting to balance highlights and shadows but its saying correcting differences in contrast and exposure between subject and background. I may have to experiment with this to see if I'm right--not necessarily so LOL, just my reading of it.

    I still like my G3 too---a lot.
    Last edited by Diane B; 3rd July 2011 at 06:16.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: I have a few questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo R View Post
    I have looked in the G3 owners manual ( downloaded version ) but could not find clear answers to these items.
    1. Shading Comp. What does it do?
    2. I.DYNAMIC. How is this different from above?
    3. Menu Exit. When I first press the menu set button I can exit by pressing the
    EXIT item that has the arrow beside it however once I enter one of the 5
    choices ( eg REC ) I can't exit the menu without turning off the camera.
    What am I overlooking?
    4. Adobe DNG. I downloaded V. 5.5.0.97 but it does not recognize G3 raws. Do
    you know if there is another version or do we have to wait until a newer
    version is available?

    Meanwhile I still think I like the G3
    I will answer #4. Until there is RAW support you don't get DNG support.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Leo, can only answer 3 definitively LOL but will look into the others. To exit menu touch the shutter button. I know--sounds too simple for Panasonic LOL.

    Reading about shading it seems to me its correcting for vignetting with certain lenses. I have mine off. I'll correct in LR if I want. It would probably be helpful for jpeg shooters I'm guessing. IDynamic seems more like its attempting to balance highlights and shadows but its saying correcting differences in contrast and exposure between subject and background. I may have to experiment with this to see if I'm right--not necessarily so LOL, just my reading of it.

    I still like my G3 too---a lot.
    Thanks Diane. I should have experimented more because after posting my questions I noticed that the Fn2 button has the curved arrow under it and it will also close the menu.
    I noticed that I.Dynamic moves the histogram considerably to the left when Standard is selected but Low does not seem to have any noticeable effect.
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: I have a few questions

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I will answer #4. Until there is RAW support you don't get DNG support.
    Thanks for the reply Terry.
    Cheers,
    Leo Reinhard

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I think I like the G3

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo R View Post
    Thanks Diane. I should have experimented more because after posting my questions I noticed that the Fn2 button has the curved arrow under it and it will also close the menu.
    I noticed that I.Dynamic moves the histogram considerably to the left when Standard is selected but Low does not seem to have any noticeable effect.
    I played a bit with it trying to find shots it made a difference but in the end I decided, being a RAW shooter, that I preferred to control any changes like this myself.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •