The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-P3, its official now!

Pelao

I am very happy to see Olympus launching new M4/3 gear. The lenses look good: in my view, the cameras not so much.

The E-P3 looks to be what the E-P1/2 should have been. Now it operates quickly etc. But if you were not missing shots with your E-P2, what is here that would push for an upgrade?

I no longer have my E-P2 (the things I did not like were not changed in this version), but if I did, I would skip a generation.

On the other hand, the two smaller models are appealing if you are in that market.

m3photo

Olympus no Viewer - Again

I hear there's another one on the way, however, so far, do Olympus not realize that many who buy these interchangeable lens cameras (as opposed to the bulk of point-and-shoots) are at an age where squinting at LCDs is not a good idea and that Panasonic is right on the money when they produce the G3? Having to buy an extra piece of camera to put it up to one's eye when the difference in portability is negligible compared to a model that has it built-in is rather self-defeating.

sagar

I think Olympus folks must be doing their homework when investing in the product. While few folks on internet desire EVF and things like that, large market may be vastly different that what we think as the market

For that matter if you see recent Japanse market share Olympus EPLs have substantially more share than sony and Panasonic. Thats when they do not have all the things we think Panasonic is doing right.

Pelao

I think Olympus folks must be doing their homework when investing in the product. While few folks on internet desire EVF and things like that, large market may be vastly different that what we think as the market

For that matter if you see recent Japanse market share Olympus EPLs have substantially more share than sony and Panasonic. Thats when they do not have all the things we think Panasonic is doing right.

Yes...but

That's current market share, from one particular market. it's an important factor to be sure, but it's also important to measure ad spend, and of course total income: this only measures camera bodies.

In the long run, manufacturers fail to serve enthusiasts at their peril, because it is these people who purchase in greater depth: more frequent upgrades, additional lenses and other peripherals etc. This extra spend is good in itself, but also ties people more closely to a given mount.

The Japanese market does get a larger portion of mirror-less ad spend, and is a bit more mature than that of N. America or Europe in this category. Different markets have different needs.

Photomorgana

I wasn't expecting much from E-P3 and their new lenses. In fact I was kind of giving up on them and even recently sold my E-P2 in favor of GH2 camera. But oh boy, did I get surprised.

In my honest opinion, Olympus hit a home run with all three new bodies and both lenses. New bodies will compete much better with NEX and Samsung offerings and new lenses looks just great for amateurs and Pros alike.
Judging by samples I saw, E-P3 has excellent image quality and 12mm f2 looks super hot. This lens should be the hottest item on everyone's shopping list this year. (I wonder how this lens will handle and act on GH2)

Looks like they invest more $ into R&D for µ4/3 line up now and finally making well thought through decisions. They are not only improving Form, Fit, Function and Image quality of new cameras, but also revising and redesigning existing lenses. I just love how they slim down the existing lenses to look better on their bodies. This shows tremendous dedication and desire to improve, (and they don't let economics dictate where to go) Olympus once again proving to be a company run by R&D and Engineering instead of an Accounding and Sales departments.

I'm not sure if I'll be buying E-P3 or not, but I'm truly happy for Olympus and I'd like to see them succeed and make pro grade primes with f2 and faster aperture. Also would be nice to see a new E-PP line (Pen-Pro) :)

Millsart

I think the type of person hanging out here or on other forums wishes this was true, but in reality, the enthusiast market is pretty small, and even if the enthusiast does buy multiple lenses etc, its still far less total sales than the p&s mass market.

Additionally, given the r&d etc that goes into making those lenses, the margin is often much lower as well.

For example, a company makes far more profit off selling p&s's for $299 each at the local Best Buy than they do selling 10 $4000 supertelephoto lens a week at a specialty retailer. It sells for a lot more but the cost to product it etc is so high.

Its all about economies of scale and profit margins for shareholders at the end of the day, not producing things that people on a forum like this might think is the best camera.

Yes...but

That's current market share, from one particular market. it's an important factor to be sure, but it's also important to measure ad spend, and of course total income: this only measures camera bodies.

In the long run, manufacturers fail to serve enthusiasts at their peril, because it is these people who purchase in greater depth: more frequent upgrades, additional lenses and other peripherals etc. This extra spend is good in itself, but also ties people more closely to a given mount.

The Japanese market does get a larger portion of mirror-less ad spend, and is a bit more mature than that of N. America or Europe in this category. Different markets have different needs.

Pelao

I think the type of person hanging out here or on other forums wishes this was true, but in reality, the enthusiast market is pretty small, and even if the enthusiast does buy multiple lenses etc, its still far less total sales than the p&s mass market.

Additionally, given the r&d etc that goes into making those lenses, the margin is often much lower as well.

For example, a company makes far more profit off selling p&s's for $299 each at the local Best Buy than they do selling 10 $4000 supertelephoto lens a week at a specialty retailer. It sells for a lot more but the cost to product it etc is so high.

Its all about economies of scale and profit margins for shareholders at the end of the day, not producing things that people on a forum like this might think is the best camera.
Yes, but the chart under discussion was referring to a higher end than P&S. The enthusiasts are critical to sales of higher end, higher margin cameras - not so much because they are so many enthusiasts, but because of their endorsement.

Notice how various manufacturers use Pro photographers to advertise the cameras in the sector we are discussing. Notice how they use phrases such as 'take photos like a pro', and this TV ad was shot with a Pen' etc. The larger market, which aspires to the results and image of enthusiast or pro (but never becomes either) can easily check online how a camera is rated etc.

If a camera or brand is panned by what are seen to be voices of authority, sales suffer.

Of course manufacturers cannot pander to every desire and whim of a vocal few. But neither can they afford to be slammed by them. The communication channels are now short and direct.

raist3d

WOW... some photos. He would probably make great photos with any camera, but that looks rather convincing, doesn't it?
In all honesty? Meh. I think some shots are good and a few not so good. As far as the camera goes looking at shots around looks like the sensor performs ballpark same. But I really think the three new pens will sell very well because the whole package- having such a fast response/AF is great for under $1k USD and I think the cameras look very stylish too while packing a lot of functionality.

Whereas the E-5 to me looked a bit of an overpriced ripoff, these Pens look like priced right with a reasonable and then the breakthrough feature to make it all go in a train of gravy.

As for his review- look at what he says with the cat whispers and DR. Come on. What seems overcast light and light background and he's impressed with the DR? That an E-5 can't do that shot? I think the placebo effect took the best of him :)

- Raist

Kind of sorting out in my head EPL3 vs EP3 and if I really want to go to that party.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Raist,

while I do agree to some of your comments, I must say that I find the EP3 a great evolution in M43. I would not call it revolution, as this would have at least also required a higher resolution sensor with great high ISO (like GH2 or G3), but the Oly has definitely it's merits, especially when it comes to colors and fine details.

Sure I had no chance so far to test one, but if the details are as good as from the E5 then I would be more than pleased - details ALL the other DSLRs and mirrorless cameras can only dream of today.

Should you join the camp? Sure! I will upgrade my EP2 to an EP3 as soon as it becomes available. For me the EP2 was since many years a camera I bought and did stick with and not sell and change to another model after a few months.

Peter

DavidL

The two primes look just about perfect for my needs. Will now review LX3 upgrade and only fly in the ointment is Will Pentax bring out an APS-C non DSLR which I could use my Ltd primes on? This would be a better solution for my retirement:watch:
David

Nice, and particularly the 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 primes look interesting.
Indeed, and a fast three lens prime kit with these two plus the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 might well be a great Micro Four Thirds solution (especially with in-body stabilization such as the EP3). Historically, Zuikos have had good IQ so I am very optimistic. Good job Olympus.

Paul

raist3d

Raist,

while I do agree to some of your comments, I must say that I find the EP3 a great evolution in M43. I would not call it revolution, as this would have at least also required a higher resolution sensor with great high ISO (like GH2 or G3), but the Oly has definitely it's merits, especially when it comes to colors and fine details.

Sure I had no chance so far to test one, but if the details are as good as from the E5 then I would be more than pleased - details ALL the other DSLRs and mirrorless cameras can only dream of today.
If you mean resolution we aren't going to agree. A K-5 is ballpark near same resolution at lower iso, and vastly more tonal range/DR, and at high ISO there's no contest. But whatever, each should choose what works for them. I see in the new pens a good set of tradeoffs considering the price, intended market, speed and size.

Should you join the camp? Sure!
Why so sure? :) Are you buying me one? :) I am really trying to stop buying on a whim and getting a Pen probably means selling my Pentax. I also want to see what happens with the Q.

- Raist

Tesselator

http://www.myolympuspen.com/index.php?/topic/545-olympus-e-p3-official/

"Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Shuichi Takayama) is July 22, 2011 (Friday) New products are scheduled to "micro-SLR," third-generation OLYMPUS PEN "E-P3"

Looks like it really has interchangeable grip :thumbup:
But still no HQ EVF? :( That's the only think keeping me from these - Sony's too. So sad... they make a nice camera and then mess it up by being too cheap to put on all the parts. It makes it really difficult to use these things for a lot of people and altogether impossible for someone like me who doesn't want to bring his reading glasses with him everywhere.

Disclaimer: I admin myolympuspen I beleive its okay to post such informational links occasionally (this is my first one), if not, mods please delete it ASAP.
IMO, it's fine - even all the time. It's not like you're organizing a mutiny - which BTW, I know from recent events that the Admins here approve of doing. To me the net is the net and it's all one big information exchange system. I don't pay too much attention to the logo at top - it's not that important.

It's all good! :)

I look at it differently. I think it's the "people are sheep" factor. People respond to marketing and marketing always wins over functionality - to the masses. You should see the Oly Pen ads here in Japan! They're everywhere - huge banner posters in every mall, billboards on the roadsides, magazine back covers, etc. It's truly something to behold if you're into marketing. Sony NEX and Panasonic G series, nowhere to be seen. At least that's my take.

Last edited:

Terry

Tesselator,

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post and why it should be in this thread

Terry

I still don't understand why you've cut and pasted all of the logos from different sites into the thread. Wasn't it enough to say yes, linking to a story on a different site is generally OK.

Tesselator

I still don't understand why you've cut and pasted all of the logos from different sites into the thread. Wasn't it enough to say yes, linking to a story on a different site is generally OK.
Yeah, I guess. It's my overly verbose style showing through again I guess. I'm like that with everything if you haven't already noticed. :D In this case it adds an element of information as a list, of the places I at least, read regularly. I suppose I could have linked to the forums directly... but then it wouldn't have tied into the remark I made about logos at the top. I guess I wanted to illustrate the point. :)

m3photo

Re: economies of scale and profit margins

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No. If this were the case why waste time and money on a 12mm f/2 which all the point and shooters neither know what it's for or what to do with?