Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympus E-P3, its official now!

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-P3, its official now!

http://www.myolympuspen.com/index.ph...e-p3-official/

"Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Shuichi Takayama) is July 22, 2011 (Friday) New products are scheduled to "micro-SLR," third-generation OLYMPUS PEN "E-P3"

Looks like it really has interchangeable grip

Disclaimer: I admin myolympuspen I beleive its okay to post such informational links occasionally (this is my first one), if not, mods please delete it ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus E-P3, its official now!

DPR Preview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11...EP3preview.asp

Available in both 17mm and 14-42 kit combos. Price remains same at $899 for both kits all colors (Black/Silver/White) Availability - August 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, and particularly the 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 primes look interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

For all those who are interested, Adorama is accepting pre-orders

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be a huge success due to the far faster response from where they were, very fast AF. I am not too hot on the sensor which appears to be same old same old tweaked again.

From dpreview: "But it's inside the camera that the biggest changes have been made: the sensor is still the familiar 12MP unit but the camera's processing is greatly improved. "

As I look at the sample shots at dpreview and dcresource, I am seeing more or less the same kind of tonal range and DR/noise of the same old sensor. I still think it will sell well because having a "very responsive" little cam like that in the market it is, is a big win. So, new sensor probably whenever the pen Pro comes out.

If I had bought an E-5 I wouldn't be sweating about this new Pen.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    If I had bought an E-5 I wouldn't be sweating about this new Pen.

- Raist

... or a G3 or GH-2? The thing which is really exciting to me is that 12/2.0 lens. Just looked through some samples at Dpreview. For jpegs they are nicely crisp and I suspect that as RAW tweaked in LR3 they could be pin sharp. Looked at one which was black telephone cable against a blue sky and I couldn't see any purple fringing. Impressive.

LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 29th June 2011 at 23:17.

Post Thanks / Like

The lenses are good, it seems, yeah. About time micro four thirds gets nice lenses that are small.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite agree
    It all looks rather positive - a replacement for the X100 which I really didn't like very much?

and the 12 f2 really is right up my street - I agree with you Louis, those samples looked very useable - even the corners for vegetation. I did think the jpgs looked a bit 'painterly' though.

Certainly an interesting proposition.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a camera, a real Olympus camera. With the 12, the Leica 25 and the 45... a very nice package. Similar to my OM-3 with 21, 50 and 100, but more versatile. I had a look at the dpr studio shots. The jpegs up to 800 look fantastic. It will be interesting to see what the RAW files are capable of.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so waiting for that compact 4/3 camera with a built-in viewfinder. As in GF/EP compact, not G or GH "compact".

Post Thanks / Like

nice looking lens ... glad to see that really not much else has changed :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kudos for making it faster with AF adding better screen etc. I was genuinely surprised by the DPReview studio shots. In those the G3 is what stands out in terms of improvement especially considering you have 25% more pixels to work with.

I also read Uwe's overview - for all the teeth gnashing about the Panasonic's losing external control buttons I never realized the E-P2/3 have no button for direct access to ISO.

The lenses are very interesting.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Focus scales!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking darn nice.
    I'll wait for the "Pen Pro" body, but they're filling in the lens line nicely.

Unless I find myself over in the Leica camp, of course. The siren song of an M9 is calling. Waiting for my bank account before it bites me on the neck I bet...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is probably first hands on review by a photographer/enthusiasts with lots of photos taken with 12mm/f2

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2011/0...et-market.html

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sagar View Post
    Here is probably first hands on review by a photographer/enthusiasts with lots of photos taken with 12mm/f2

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2011/0...et-market.html
    WOW... some photos. He would probably make great photos with any camera, but that looks rather convincing, doesn't it?

thearne3

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    ... I never realized the E-P2/3 have no button for direct access to ISO.

The lenses are very interesting.
    Actually, the E-P1/2 had direct access to ISO on the Up Dial. Oly has 5 (five! fn1, fn2, Movie, and two quadrants of the Dial) customizable buttons on the E-P3, any one of which can be ISO.

Best,
    Tom

PS I've enjoyed your thread on the G3 - very informative!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearne3 View Post
    Actually, the E-P1/2 had direct access to ISO on the Up Dial. Oly has 5 (five! fn1, fn2, Movie, and two quadrants of the Dial) customizable buttons on the E-P3, any one of which can be ISO.
    From a review I just read F1 and F2 cannot be ISO. Besides, they need to be configured to EV comp and AE Lock to make up for lack of those buttons.

As for the compass buttons, ISO has been removed so one needs to map it back on to make it as functional as the E-P1.

Still no way to assign ISO to a dial which is the key missing feature. Someone with E-P3 correct me please!
    Listen to my new album "The Drones" free on BandCamp. Visit my Flickr images, website, or blog. Cheers!

thearne3

Thanks for the correction, rparmar. Indeed, dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep3/page9.asp) indicates only the two dial quadrants can be assigned to ISO.

I guess it would be nice to be able to assign ISO directly (without a button press) to one of the dial controls - is that possible on the G3? I've not felt the need for that feature to date.

Post Thanks / Like

E-P3, come fly with me .....

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Olympus Super Control Panel makes it as good as button (not really but very near)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am very happy to see Olympus launching new M4/3 gear. The lenses look good: in my view, the cameras not so much.

The E-P3 looks to be what the E-P1/2 should have been. Now it operates quickly etc. But if you were not missing shots with your E-P2, what is here that would push for an upgrade?

I no longer have my E-P2 (the things I did not like were not changed in this version), but if I did, I would skip a generation.

On the other hand, the two smaller models are appealing if you are in that market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus no Viewer - Again

I hear there's another one on the way, however, so far, do Olympus not realize that many who buy these interchangeable lens cameras (as opposed to the bulk of point-and-shoots) are at an age where squinting at LCDs is not a good idea and that Panasonic is right on the money when they produce the G3? Having to buy an extra piece of camera to put it up to one's eye when the difference in portability is negligible compared to a model that has it built-in is rather self-defeating.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Olympus folks must be doing their homework when investing in the product. While few folks on internet desire EVF and things like that, large market may be vastly different that what we think as the market

For that matter if you see recent Japanse market share Olympus EPLs have substantially more share than sony and Panasonic. Thats when they do not have all the things we think Panasonic is doing right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Olympus folks must be doing their homework when investing in the product. While few folks on internet desire EVF and things like that, large market may be vastly different that what we think as the market

For that matter if you see recent Japanse market share Olympus EPLs have substantially more share than sony and Panasonic. Thats when they do not have all the things we think Panasonic is doing right.

Yes...but

That's current market share, from one particular market. it's an important factor to be sure, but it's also important to measure ad spend, and of course total income: this only measures camera bodies.

In the long run, manufacturers fail to serve enthusiasts at their peril, because it is these people who purchase in greater depth: more frequent upgrades, additional lenses and other peripherals etc. This extra spend is good in itself, but also ties people more closely to a given mount.

The Japanese market does get a larger portion of mirror-less ad spend, and is a bit more mature than that of N. America or Europe in this category. Different markets have different needs.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't expecting much from E-P3 and their new lenses. In fact I was kind of giving up on them and even recently sold my E-P2 in favor of GH2 camera. But oh boy, did I get surprised.

In my honest opinion, Olympus hit a home run with all three new bodies and both lenses. New bodies will compete much better with NEX and Samsung offerings and new lenses looks just great for amateurs and Pros alike.
    Judging by samples I saw, E-P3 has excellent image quality and 12mm f2 looks super hot. This lens should be the hottest item on everyone's shopping list this year. (I wonder how this lens will handle and act on GH2)

Looks like they invest more $ into R&D for 4/3 line up now and finally making well thought through decisions. They are not only improving Form, Fit, Function and Image quality of new cameras, but also revising and redesigning existing lenses. I just love how they slim down the existing lenses to look better on their bodies. This shows tremendous dedication and desire to improve, (and they don't let economics dictate where to go) Olympus once again proving to be a company run by R&D and Engineering instead of an Accounding and Sales departments.

I'm not sure if I'll be buying E-P3 or not, but I'm truly happy for Olympus and I'd like to see them succeed and make pro grade primes with f2 and faster aperture. Also would be nice to see a new E-PP line (Pen-Pro)

Post Thanks / Like

I think the type of person hanging out here or on other forums wishes this was true, but in reality, the enthusiast market is pretty small, and even if the enthusiast does buy multiple lenses etc, its still far less total sales than the p&s mass market.

Additionally, given the r&d etc that goes into making those lenses, the margin is often much lower as well.

For example, a company makes far more profit off selling p&s's for $299 each at the local Best Buy than they do selling 10 $4000 supertelephoto lens a week at a specialty retailer. It sells for a lot more but the cost to product it etc is so high.

Its all about economies of scale and profit margins for shareholders at the end of the day, not producing things that people on a forum like this might think is the best camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    Yes...but

That's current market share, from one particular market. it's an important factor to be sure, but it's also important to measure ad spend, and of course total income: this only measures camera bodies.

In the long run, manufacturers fail to serve enthusiasts at their peril, because it is these people who purchase in greater depth: more frequent upgrades, additional lenses and other peripherals etc. This extra spend is good in itself, but also ties people more closely to a given mount.

The Japanese market does get a larger portion of mirror-less ad spend, and is a bit more mature than that of N. America or Europe in this category. Different markets have different needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    I think the type of person hanging out here or on other forums wishes this was true, but in reality, the enthusiast market is pretty small, and even if the enthusiast does buy multiple lenses etc, its still far less total sales than the p&s mass market.

Additionally, given the r&d etc that goes into making those lenses, the margin is often much lower as well.

For example, a company makes far more profit off selling p&s's for $299 each at the local Best Buy than they do selling 10 $4000 supertelephoto lens a week at a specialty retailer. It sells for a lot more but the cost to product it etc is so high.

Its all about economies of scale and profit margins for shareholders at the end of the day, not producing things that people on a forum like this might think is the best camera.
    Yes, but the chart under discussion was referring to a higher end than P&S. The enthusiasts are critical to sales of higher end, higher margin cameras - not so much because they are so many enthusiasts, but because of their endorsement.

Notice how various manufacturers use Pro photographers to advertise the cameras in the sector we are discussing. Notice how they use phrases such as 'take photos like a pro', and this TV ad was shot with a Pen' etc. The larger market, which aspires to the results and image of enthusiast or pro (but never becomes either) can easily check online how a camera is rated etc.

If a camera or brand is panned by what are seen to be voices of authority, sales suffer.

Of course manufacturers cannot pander to every desire and whim of a vocal few. But neither can they afford to be slammed by them. The communication channels are now short and direct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    WOW... some photos. He would probably make great photos with any camera, but that looks rather convincing, doesn't it?
    In all honesty? Meh. I think some shots are good and a few not so good. As far as the camera goes looking at shots around looks like the sensor performs ballpark same. But I really think the three new pens will sell very well because the whole package- having such a fast response/AF is great for under $1k USD and I think the cameras look very stylish too while packing a lot of functionality.

Whereas the E-5 to me looked a bit of an overpriced ripoff, these Pens look like priced right with a reasonable and then the breakthrough feature to make it all go in a train of gravy.

As for his review- look at what he says with the cat whispers and DR. Come on. What seems overcast light and light background and he's impressed with the DR? That an E-5 can't do that shot? I think the placebo effect took the best of him :-)

- Raist

Kind of sorting out in my head EPL3 vs EP3 and if I really want to go to that party.

Post Thanks / Like

Raist,

while I do agree to some of your comments, I must say that I find the EP3 a great evolution in M43. I would not call it revolution, as this would have at least also required a higher resolution sensor with great high ISO (like GH2 or G3), but the Oly has definitely it's merits, especially when it comes to colors and fine details.

Sure I had no chance so far to test one, but if the details are as good as from the E5 then I would be more than pleased - details ALL the other DSLRs and mirrorless cameras can only dream of today.

Should you join the camp? Sure! I will upgrade my EP2 to an EP3 as soon as it becomes available. For me the EP2 was since many years a camera I bought and did stick with and not sell and change to another model after a few months.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

The two primes look just about perfect for my needs. Will now review LX3 upgrade and only fly in the ointment is Will Pentax bring out an APS-C non DSLR which I could use my Ltd primes on? This would be a better solution for my retirement
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Nice, and particularly the 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 primes look interesting.
    Indeed, and a fast three lens prime kit with these two plus the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 might well be a great Micro Four Thirds solution (especially with in-body stabilization such as the EP3). Historically, Zuikos have had good IQ so I am very optimistic. Good job Olympus.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ptomsu;330176]Raist,

while I do agree to some of your comments, I must say that I find the EP3 a great evolution in M43. I would not call it revolution, as this would have at least also required a higher resolution sensor with great high ISO (like GH2 or G3), but the Oly has definitely it's merits, especially when it comes to colors and fine details.

Sure I had no chance so far to test one, but if the details are as good as from the E5 then I would be more than pleased - details ALL the other DSLRs and mirrorless cameras can only dream of today.
    If you mean resolution we aren't going to agree. A K-5 is ballpark near same resolution at lower iso, and vastly more tonal range/DR, and at high ISO there's no contest. But whatever, each should choose what works for them. I see in the new pens a good set of tradeoffs considering the price, intended market, speed and size.

Should you join the camp? Sure!
    Why so sure? :-) Are you buying me one? :-) I am really trying to stop buying on a whim and getting a Pen probably means selling my Pentax. I also want to see what happens with the Q.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.myolympuspen.com/index.ph...e-p3-official/

"Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Shuichi Takayama) is July 22, 2011 (Friday) New products are scheduled to "micro-SLR," third-generation OLYMPUS PEN "E-P3"

Looks like it really has interchangeable grip
    But still no HQ EVF? That's the only think keeping me from these - Sony's too. So sad... they make a nice camera and then mess it up by being too cheap to put on all the parts. It makes it really difficult to use these things for a lot of people and altogether impossible for someone like me who doesn't want to bring his reading glasses with him everywhere.

Disclaimer: I admin myolympuspen I beleive its okay to post such informational links occasionally (this is my first one), if not, mods please delete it ASAP.
    IMO, it's fine - even all the time. It's not like you're organizing a mutiny - which BTW, I know from recent events that the Admins here approve of doing. To me the net is the net and it's all one big information exchange system. I don't pay too much attention to the logo at top - it's not that important.

It's all good!

I look at it differently. I think it's the "people are sheep" factor. People respond to marketing and marketing always wins over functionality - to the masses. You should see the Oly Pen ads here in Japan! They're everywhere - huge banner posters in every mall, billboards on the roadsides, magazine back covers, etc. It's truly something to behold if you're into marketing. Sony NEX and Panasonic G series, nowhere to be seen. At least that's my take.
    Last edited by Tesselator; 1st July 2011 at 05:08. Reason: Added a quote & reply instead of posting a new reply.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tesselator,

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post and why it should be in this thread

Post Thanks / Like

Tesselator,

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post
    Maybe re-read it?

and why it should be in this thread
    I thought it was relevant, YMMV.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still don't understand why you've cut and pasted all of the logos from different sites into the thread. Wasn't it enough to say yes, linking to a story on a different site is generally OK.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't understand why you've cut and pasted all of the logos from different sites into the thread. Wasn't it enough to say yes, linking to a story on a different site is generally OK.
    Yeah, I guess. It's my overly verbose style showing through again I guess. I'm like that with everything if you haven't already noticed. In this case it adds an element of information as a list, of the places I at least, read regularly. I suppose I could have linked to the forums directly... but then it wouldn't have tied into the remark I made about logos at the top. I guess I wanted to illustrate the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: economies of scale and profit margins

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No. If this were the case why waste time and money on a 12mm f/2 which all the point and shooters neither know what it's for or what to do with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Pentax Mirrorless

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    ... Will Pentax bring out an APS-C non DSLR which I could use my Ltd primes on?
    May the gods hear ye, David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Reading Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    But still no HQ EVF? That's the only think keeping me from these - Sony's too. So sad... they make a nice camera and then mess it up by being too cheap to put on all the parts. It makes it really difficult to use these things for a lot of people and altogether impossible for someone like me who doesn't want to bring his reading glasses with him everywhere.
    Exactly. I also considered the Sony - but not at arm's length.

Post Thanks / Like

If Olympus has resolved AF issues and claim it be fastest in the world, I am confident E-xxx type body is in the works may be for release late this year or next year

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax Mirrorless

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    May the gods hear ye, David
    Offerings have been made.
    Jono thinks there may be something on the way, so I'll wait a while.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Jono

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Offerings have been made.
    Jono thinks there may be something on the way, so I'll wait a while.
    David
    The general consensus around here seems to be that Jono might be one of them ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reading Glasses

Exactly. I also considered the Sony - but not at arm's length.
    Hehehe, yup!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Jono

The general consensus around here seems to be that Jono might be one of them ...
    one of what Michael - one of the things on the way (or should that be in the way!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: He says, and he says ...

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    one of what Michael?
    OK, so David says - 'Will Pentax bring out an APS-C non DSLR which I could use my Ltd primes on?'
    And I say - 'May the gods hear ye, David'
    So he says - 'Offerings have been made.
    Jono thinks there may be something on the way, so I'll wait a while.'
    And my take is: 'The general consensus around here seems to be that Jono might be one of them ...'

them implying one of the "gods", my roundabout way of saying you're one to be reckoned with when it comes to good kit.

Phew!

(Anyway, you know it's your fault I bought a K5 ... )

Post Thanks / Like

Actually interesting how small number of people are obviously interested in the EP3, given all the other threads in 4/3 being heavily followed, but this one is just not of interest.

Interesting, because already EP2 was (and still is) a great camera, I always loved it more than even my GH2. But the EP3 seems to top this by far. And still no interest.

One must go mainstream to get interest ......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I did follow this thread but I was never overwhelmed by the retro design of the EP-2 or 3.
    If it has to be small I am much more interested in the upcoming Olympus E-PL3 in brushed steel.
    Real small and designwise much more to my liking especially with that beautiful 12mm lens on it.
    A real streetcam!

But then there also will be the new 24 MP Nex-7 with EVF in august to make things more complicated.
    And then I will start thinking again.

Meanwhile I am happy with the GH2.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, ptomsu, there seem to be quite a few people who are interested in the E-P3. 43rumors had a poll asking readers which they favored between the G3 and E-P3, and the Olympus was ahead by more than a 2:1 ratio. I was surprised, actually, as I had expected the G3 to come out on top.