The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-P3, its official now!

raist3d

I think it will be a huge success due to the far faster response from where they were, very fast AF. I am not too hot on the sensor which appears to be same old same old tweaked again.

From dpreview: "But it's inside the camera that the biggest changes have been made: the sensor is still the familiar 12MP unit but the camera's processing is greatly improved. "

As I look at the sample shots at dpreview and dcresource, I am seeing more or less the same kind of tonal range and DR/noise of the same old sensor. I still think it will sell well because having a "very responsive" little cam like that in the market it is, is a big win. So, new sensor probably whenever the pen Pro comes out.

If I had bought an E-5 I wouldn't be sweating about this new Pen.

- Raist

biglouis

If I had bought an E-5 I wouldn't be sweating about this new Pen.

- Raist

... or a G3 or GH-2? The thing which is really exciting to me is that 12/2.0 lens. Just looked through some samples at Dpreview. For jpegs they are nicely crisp and I suspect that as RAW tweaked in LR3 they could be pin sharp. Looked at one which was black telephone cable against a blue sky and I couldn't see any purple fringing. Impressive.

LouisB

Last edited:

raist3d

The lenses are good, it seems, yeah. About time micro four thirds gets nice lenses that are small.

- Raist

jonoslack

Quite agree
It all looks rather positive - a replacement for the X100 which I really didn't like very much?

and the 12 f2 really is right up my street - I agree with you Louis, those samples looked very useable - even the corners for vegetation. I did think the jpgs looked a bit 'painterly' though.

Certainly an interesting proposition.

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is a camera, a real Olympus camera. With the 12, the Leica 25 and the 45... a very nice package. Similar to my OM-3 with 21, 50 and 100, but more versatile. I had a look at the dpr studio shots. The jpegs up to 800 look fantastic. It will be interesting to see what the RAW files are capable of.

emr

I'm so waiting for that compact µ4/3 camera with a built-in viewfinder. As in GF/EP compact, not G or GH "compact".

Terry

Kudos for making it faster with AF adding better screen etc. I was genuinely surprised by the DPReview studio shots. In those the G3 is what stands out in terms of improvement especially considering you have 25% more pixels to work with.

I also read Uwe's overview - for all the teeth gnashing about the Panasonic's losing external control buttons I never realized the E-P2/3 have no button for direct access to ISO.

The lenses are very interesting.

Godfrey

Looking darn nice.
I'll wait for the "Pen Pro" body, but they're filling in the lens line nicely.

Unless I find myself over in the Leica camp, of course. The siren song of an M9 is calling. Waiting for my bank account before it bites me on the neck I bet...

T

thearne3

... I never realized the E-P2/3 have no button for direct access to ISO.

The lenses are very interesting.
Actually, the E-P1/2 had direct access to ISO on the Up Dial. Oly has 5 (five! fn1, fn2, Movie, and two quadrants of the Dial) customizable buttons on the E-P3, any one of which can be ISO. :thumbup:

Best,
Tom

PS I've enjoyed your thread on the G3 - very informative!

rparmar

Actually, the E-P1/2 had direct access to ISO on the Up Dial. Oly has 5 (five! fn1, fn2, Movie, and two quadrants of the Dial) customizable buttons on the E-P3, any one of which can be ISO.
From a review I just read F1 and F2 cannot be ISO. Besides, they need to be configured to EV comp and AE Lock to make up for lack of those buttons.

As for the compass buttons, ISO has been removed so one needs to map it back on to make it as functional as the E-P1.

Still no way to assign ISO to a dial which is the key missing feature. Someone with E-P3 correct me please!

T

thearne3

Thanks for the correction, rparmar. Indeed, dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep3/page9.asp) indicates only the two dial quadrants can be assigned to ISO.

I guess it would be nice to be able to assign ISO directly (without a button press) to one of the dial controls - is that possible on the G3? I've not felt the need for that feature to date.