The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-2 build quality (vs GF1)

pellicle

Hi

well having held a GF-1 I know I like the feel of it, and the metal shell. I was a bit 'miffed' that the rubber started rubbing off my G1 in key areas quite quickly. So I wonder if the GF2 is as nice to 'feel' as the GF1 is?

I'm seeing the GF2 quite well priced at the moment and its quite tempting to get that over the GF1 (I mean they're nearly the same price!! Used Gf1 vs new GF2 WTH)

thanks

PS Oh just spotted an annoyance ... no remote release .. hmmm definately have to keep the GH1 now!

ggibson

I've played with the GF2 a bit, and build quality seemed very similar to my GF1. A bit smaller, somehow a bit 'boxier' to me, but still nice. Touchscreen was easy to use, touch-to-focus & shoot was cool, it's a small advantage to me. The flash felt a little more flimsy on the GF2, BUT you could angle it up to the ceiling as a bounce flash which is impossible with the GF1.

Video is an interesting comparison: GF2 with higher resolution or GF1 hacked with manual controls and possibly cleaner noise. GF2 has a stereo mic which is much better (there is a youtube video which compared the two).

Given the option to pick one or the other I would probably go for the GF2, but it's only a hair different to me so I've stuck with my GF1.

pellicle

I've played with the GF2 a bit ...
Given the option to pick one or the other I would probably go for the GF2, but it's only a hair different to me so I've stuck with my GF1.
thanks for the input ... if I could get a GF cheaply I'd go that way, but since it seems there are so few hassles with the GF2 and I can get a good deal on it new, seems I'll move that way