The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The perfect m4/3rds has yet to appear

RichA

For now, for me, the G3 is a solution that fits best. But if I could spec one...

1. Metal body with some enviro-sealing.
2. Articulated, 1M OLED (or quantum dot) screen.
3. 16 meg sensor.
4. 2.1M fast refresh EVF
5. In-body I.S.
6. Fast focus with all lenses.
7. Horizon gauge like the Nikon D7000
8. Lots of buttons instead of menus, but not cluttered so you hit them by accident.
9. AF illuminator light.
10. Rubber (real, not molded plastic) grips in strategic areas.
11. One-button electronic image zoom for easy MF.
12. Interval timing. (like Nikon)
13. 1080P video.
14. An optional grip for those who want it.
15. Max $1k price tag for body.

emr

I'm not expecting a perfect one, but having planned buying a compact m43 camera for quite some time now, I'm still waiting for one with a built-in viewfinder, OVF or decent EVF. Not just the backside TV. The models that have it are close to a small DSLR in size and that won't cut it for me in search for a compact option.

ustein

Contributing Editor
For me the Panasonic G3 is close to ideal (not video though, the GH2 would be better).

RichA

For me the Panasonic G3 is close to ideal (not video though, the GH2 would be better).
I tend to agree. I'd have said the GH2 but the video is secondary for me and I prefer the 4:3 format for stills so the G3 makes more sense. The EVF is mandatory and I prefer it built-in rather than clip-on. The one thing that would be great (and isn't going to happen) in the Panasonics would be I.B.I.S., which I found invaluable in my older Olympus DSLRs. It saved many shots.

Diane B

I'm not expecting a perfect one, but having planned buying a compact m43 camera for quite some time now, I'm still waiting for one with a built-in viewfinder, OVF or decent EVF. Not just the backside TV. The models that have it are close to a small DSLR in size and that won't cut it for me in search for a compact option.
The G3 really is not small DSLR sized. Its about as small as one could want ergonomically and I'm not the only one to say this. Just because it has an EVF and not brick shaped doesn't make it that similar to DSLR.

ecsh

Diane is correct there. Its just the right size for the average size hands i believe, to get to what you need. There still is room for a couple more exterior buttons, but, they probably will not materialize on this body.
Joe

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Its about as small as one could want ergonomically and I'm not the only one to say this.

Shot the second day with it and it feels really nice (I used even a bigger lens - 14-54mm Olympus 43 zoom).

Sorry but this thread needed a picture:

Diane B

Love this one Uwe. I should have said a bit more. I'm finding the G3 just right in many respects. The concerns I had before getting mine didn't materialize: size (too small for larger lenses) and easy access to controls I use all time (AEL/AFL). I really had planned to buy a GH2 but decided to wait until the announcement of the G3--still expecting to hunt down the GH2. When it was announced, since video isn't that important for me, the specs looked close to what I wanted but until I had one in hand I couldn't be sure. After shooting with it for almost 2 weeks its as close to just right in handling as I could hope right now. Just waiting for LR support.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
>After shooting with it for almost 2 weeks its as close to just right in handling as I could hope right now.

+1

I wait for m43 fast mid range zoom now. The search for the camera is over (if video is not priority).

emr

The G3 really is not small DSLR sized. Its about as small as one could want ergonomically and I'm not the only one to say this. Just because it has an EVF and not brick shaped doesn't make it that similar to DSLR.
I have not seen or touched a G3, but it looks fairly big. Perhaps the looks deceive. I had a GH2 for some weeks before selling it and it was certainly too big for my compact camera needs and IMO not significantly smaller than a small DSLR. But perhaps the G3 is smaller.

Terry

I have not seen or touched a G3, but it looks fairly big. Perhaps the looks deceive. I had a GH2 for some weeks before selling it and it was certainly too big for my compact camera needs and IMO not significantly smaller than a small DSLR. But perhaps the G3 is smaller.
The G3 is considerably smaller. While the pictures don't always portray this difference very well in use you can certainly feel the difference I don't really want smaller than what we've now got in the G3. The G3 looks a large because of the viewfinder but in reality it really handles like a GF1 with a better grip. The EVF really just feels so low profile natural in use and to me very different than an add on from Panny or Oly. The EVF and flip out LCD combined with the smaller form factor make it a compelling camera for me. Better IQ is also welcome.

My original plan for my Africa trip was to go with 2xGH2 and 1 GF2. I sold the GF2 to fund the G3. Now I'm seriously considering selling one GH2 and going with 2xG3 and 1 GH2.

m3photo

Re: 3 Bodies

My original plan for my Africa trip was to go with 2xGH2 and 1 GF2. I sold the GF2 to fund the G3. Now I'm seriously considering selling one GH2 and going with 2xG3 and 1 GH2.
Why three bodies, Terry? One for slide film, one for colour negative and one for black and white? :D

apicius9

Oh boy, you are really not making this any easier. I like my GH2 but when I briefly had a GF1 I thought this would be a great size if it had a VF - and that's what the G3 seems to be now. And the fact that so many here who are much better photographers than I am seem happy with it is also a great sign. I am seriously thinking about selling the GH2 and getting the G3. With the money I should have left over, I am half way to paying for the 100-300 and then I would be done with it for a while... I just wish I could handle the camera before ordering it. Anybody here in Honolulu who has one? :) Richard? ;)

From everything I have read, I think my main open questions are:

- how is the handling for manual focusing with 'legacy' lenses in real life compared to the GH2?
- Is the missing auto LCD/EVF switch as annoying as I fear?
- I could probably find that info somewhere, but is the EVF the same/as good as the one in the GH2 and does the G3 also have ETC?
- is there anything else that the GH2 has and that you really wish the G3 would have also?

Would anybody please care to comment on those questions?

I find that I am much less interested in the intricacies of video than I had expected, so I don't think I would miss too much there. And I have yet to print large format photos, so I am sure I can live with the smaller sensor.

Thanks for your comments.

Stefan

Terry

Re: 3 Bodies

Why three bodies, Terry? One for slide film, one for colour negative and one for black and white? :D
My intent was the GH2's back each other up and were my primary. 16 days of dusty shooting and I really didn't want to take any chances. One would have the 100-300 on it. The other would have the 14-140 (or 4/3 14-54). I did not want to be doing lens changes too often (or at all) out in the field.

I will have the same Land Cruiser for the entire trip so there was not to be a real hassle factor of lugging around extra gear in a shoulder bag and cursing that I brought too much gear.

The third body was going to have a fast prime or something similar living on it. The original intent being a GF2 with the 20mm. i was going to use that at the camp at dinner.

Is the strategy ultra conservative, yes. Have I seen cameras go down on trips, yes. Also, I will be the only one shooting m4/3 and there is no possibility of sharing systems with someone else if something goes down. Finally, once back from the trip it was always my intent to sell off at least one if not two of the bodies.

Diane B

I can tell you how I FEEL about the LCD/EVF switch but that's only my opinion LOL. You can try this. When I learned that the G3 wouldn't have the sensor I turned mine off on the G1 and used the switch in the same place on the G1 for about a month. But even that wasn't the full answer. If you keep your LCD facing in as I do then if you need the LCD for touch purposes (i.e.; Q menu, etc depending how you decide to use the touch screen) you simply open it and the EVF switches to LCD without touching the switch. Also if you choose to review on the LCD and are using the EVF, if you open the LCD for the review its automatically switches. This works just fine for me and I haven't used the switch but once in two weeks.

I shoot quite a lot with MF lenses and (see above). I'm finding the handling quite nice. Can't say more than that. My holding techique is somewhat different but that seemed intuitive and I didn't think much about it. I also have the G1 with a similar grip to the GH2 so that was a concern of mine also (see above post).

Yes, the G3 has the ETC.

Others with both GH2 and G3 will have to answer the other questions LOL.

Diane

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The G3 is considerably smaller. While the pictures don't always portray this difference very well in use you can certainly feel the difference I don't really want smaller than what we've now got in the G3. The G3 looks a large because of the viewfinder but in reality it really handles like a GF1 with a better grip. The EVF really just feels so low profile natural in use and to me very different than an add on from Panny or Oly. The EVF and flip out LCD combined with the smaller form factor make it a compelling camera for me. Better IQ is also welcome.

So you make it serious with M43 - great decision, I am almost on this path!

Why do you not consider 1 EP3 instead of a second GH3? The EP3 seems to be a really good camera and with the VR2 you would have a great EVF plus it brings in body IS.

My path is clear at least for the moment: EP3, GH2 and I will add a G3.

Terry

So you make it serious with M43 - great decision, I am almost on this path!

Why do you not consider 1 EP3 instead of a second GH3? The E-P3 seems to be a really good camera and with the VR2 you would have a great EVF plus it brings in body IS.

My path is clear at least for the moment: EP3, GH2 and I will add a G3.
Because:
The easy answer is E-P3 isn't available yet.
Then I don't want to take 3 different chargers for 3 different kinds of batteries.
I don't need IBIS with the lenses I'm taking
The built in viewfinders of the GH2 and G3 is just are just as good as the VR2.
Finally, the price: G3 costs me $500. E-P3 is $899 + $250 for the viewfinder more than double! the price for arguably IQ that is at best no better than the G3.