Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: How long have i got?

  1. #1
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    How long have i got?

    Hi All,
    After waiting and saving for an E30 + 14-54 II it has got to the stage where no one here in CZ stocks the kit. The lens is still available (for the moment).
    Im gutted about this.. The E30 would fit my needs at a price i could consume.
    So plan B would be to get the lens seperately and maybe another lens OR, put the remaining cash towards an E5.
    Now i remember Godfrey saying on a previous post of mine "Fit a great lens even on an ancient E-1 and magic happens... !" this can be said for almost all cameras i guess. Now whilst lenses still seem to be in supply it would make sense to aquire a few new ones and then later get the E5 however, i think i read somewhere that Olympus will only continue to manufacture the E5 until the mirrorless system can equal what the DSLR can deliver.
    This has me concerned as the new EP-3 is very impresive and if they do develop a micro 4/3rds PRO camera body soon then im assuming this will make the E5 obsolete.
    So heres the question (finally i get to the point) What are your thoughts as to the time frame one would have to purchase an E5. I mean olympus could bring out the PRO m4/3rds body at the end of the year and its goodbye E5 and no more OVF bodys or do you think it will be a couple of years before the demise of the E5?
    As i will have to go to plan B im hoping a couple of years before mirrorless rules the roost in the Olympus house.

    Thanks

    J

  2. #2
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Myself using an E5 and being very happy indeed with it, I am no longer sure what Olympus strategy is. Some sales reps told me there will always be a model like the E5 I start to doubt about this. And also about the future of Oly and their cameras.

    I am actually a bit disappointed that Oly still plays around with the 12MP sensors in their top models, I refer to the EP3 and then it becomes totally quiet about a Pro M43. Man, how long can it take to get a Pro body developed from Olympus.

    Also I am concerned about EVF. While I really enjoy the VR2 it is still far away from what a mirror can produce in quality. And even the next generation LCDs or OLEDs with 3MP cannot come close to an OVF. So I always feel kind of disconnected when looking through an EVF, even if it is one of the best.

    So why wait any longer for whatever Oly will come up with in the future? Either take an E5 and be happy for now, or just forget Oly and choose some other brand.

    Maybe Pentax - they seem to get their game right with the latest FW for the K5?
    Maybe a Nikon D5100 or D7000?
    Maybe a Canon or maybe a Sony?

    Waiting for Oly to come out with the miracle next thing has become a bad thing again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: How long have i got?

    I'm kind of in a similar situation to you. I've been shooting film this year, but I have some nice lenses sitting in the dry box (7-14,12-60,PL25,50-200SWD) and I'm debating if I should jump back in with the E-30 again or the E-5. I'm not really sure what Olympus is planning. I'm more of a prime person right now so m4/3s or possibly Pentax is looking ok. The 11-22 would cover all my shooting needs though. Even a pro m4/3s body wouldn't replace the E-5. Focus on 4/3s lenses are still slow and there aren't replacements for the SHG lenses. I think we'll probably see an E-7, although things can change quickly. The E-P1 came out just two years ago.

    I'm going to stay away from Nikon and Canon (Sony too?) crop sensor cameras. It's been over 10 years and they are still poorly supported as far as lenses. I think they be endangered as mirror-less continue to improve. I guess that basically leaves E-5, FF cameras, m4/3s and Pentax. At least 4/3 lenses and accessories have some compatibility with m4/3s looking forward.

    Are you sure you can't find a E-30 used somewhere? They are a loads of them here in Japan and the E-3 is actually a little cheaper than a used E-30.

    For me, I think the E-5/D700/5D are larger than I want to haul around. I think I'll be investing in m4/3s in addition to any more film gear I pick up. Guess I should sell off those lenses.
    Charles - flickr

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    The E-5 is still a new model as pro grade cameras go. I don't expect a replacement for the E-5 from Olympus for at least two years, whether FT or mFT. They're not there yet, and won't be for a while. Nikon and Canon are no different on their pro bodies either. It's the consumer bodies that change constantly. Look how long the D700 has been in the market, and note that it still is one of the best performers out there ... and, yes, it's also still "only" 12 Mpixels.

    This mania for more pixels and ever higher ISO is crazy, far as I'm concerned.

  5. #5
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Well I think that some more MP are not bad and as a G3 shows this can be pretty good results today with 16MP and up to 3200 ISO. I do not like the debate that this is not needed. If these capabilities are there then they can be used. And I actually expect from a leading vendor to keep their pro line up to date as good and timely as possible. No excuses.

    Why Nikon and Canon cannot come up with something better is because obviously there is nothing better available today. But WRT 43 / M43 there are better and more advanced sensors form Panasonic and Oly has this cooperation with Pana as we all know and see again in their latest EP3. So I actually expect to do something as fast as possible with their top of the range model - period.

    I invested tons of money in their high end glass (14-35 and 35-100), I am really liking these lenses on the E5, but if there is a possibility to bring this to the next level with an E7 (or however called) then I expect them to deliver - right? And BTW I would also expect a new FW release for the 14-35 in combo with E5, because AF speed and accuracy with that lens is still a shame - even in good light. How difficult can it be to get a new and better release? This is a SHG lens anyway. Even the 35-100 is faster and more accurate in my eyes.

    And also to mention - I waited 5 months before my 14-35 was delivered - again something not really acceptable for a pro line lens.

    If someone does not need more MP or more ISO or faster follow up with FW and delivery then ok, but judging from their own needs to the needs of others is a bit short sighted - sorry!

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Well I think that some more MP are not bad and as a G3 shows this can be pretty good results today with 16MP and up to 3200 ISO. I do not like the debate that this is not needed. If these capabilities are there then they can be used. And I actually expect from a leading vendor to keep their pro line up to date as good and timely as possible. No excuses.

    Why Nikon and Canon cannot come up with something better is because obviously there is nothing better available today. But WRT 43 / M43 there are better and more advanced sensors form Panasonic and Oly has this cooperation with Pana as we all know and see again in their latest EP3. So I actually expect to do something as fast as possible with their top of the range model - period.

    I invested tons of money in their high end glass (14-35 and 35-100), I am really liking these lenses on the E5, but if there is a possibility to bring this to the next level with an E7 (or however called) then I expect them to deliver - right? And BTW I would also expect a new FW release for the 14-35 in combo with E5, because AF speed and accuracy with that lens is still a shame - even in good light. How difficult can it be to get a new and better release? This is a SHG lens anyway. Even the 35-100 is faster and more accurate in my eyes.

    And also to mention - I waited 5 months before my 14-35 was delivered - again something not really acceptable for a pro line lens.

    If someone does not need more MP or more ISO or faster follow up with FW and delivery then ok, but judging from their own needs to the needs of others is a bit short sighted - sorry!
    It seems that any discussion of why one might or might not need more megapixels always incites an inappropriate emotional response like yours. I'll state my opinions just for the record:

    - I have nothing against having more megapixel resolution and dynamic range, am glad to get it when it is available and serves me to advantage. I like to understand what advantage I gain and at what cost, evaluate the pros and cons vs the costs, understand what I'm paying for and why, before I spend money for "more and more". In many cases, "more and more" serves me little advantage and I'm better off not spending my limited resources on it. That's all.

    - What you pay for your gear is irrelevant. Buying camera equipment is a purchase, not an entitlement. The company doesn't owe you anything other than what you paid for. If Olympus does not offer the service you're looking for, buy products from someone else. Olympus has already delivered the products you paid for; if they haven't, take them to court.

    - It takes time to develop camera equipment. If you can do it faster than Olympus, more power to you.

    I'll beg off from further debate, but

    .. If someone does not need more MP or more ISO or faster follow up with FW and delivery then ok, but judging from their own needs to the needs of others is a bit short sighted - sorry!
    If we are to refrain from expressing an opinion as potentially applicable to others based on the observations of our own experience, our own evaluations of advantage and disadvantage from our actions, what on earth are we going to talk about?

    The whole purpose of a discussion board, the process of posing a thought and engaging in the objective discussion of that thought, is to take what we as individuals learn from our personal experience and observation, generalize it as appropriate to the question at hand, and express that in the pursuit of understanding the subject matter of the thought more fully, in the context of exchange of several people's combined opinions and expressions.

    If you feel that doing this is "short-sighted" or inappropriate, you do not want to participate in a discussion of ideas.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 16th July 2011 at 07:04.

  7. #7
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It seems that any discussion of why one might or might not need more megapixels always incites an inappropriate emotional response like yours. I'll state my opinions just for the record:

    - I have nothing against having more megapixel resolution and dynamic range, am glad to get it when it is available and serves me to advantage. I like to understand what advantage I gain and at what cost, evaluate the pros and cons vs the costs, understand what I'm paying for and why, before I spend money for "more and more". In many cases, "more and more" serves me little advantage and I'm better off not spending my limited resources on it. That's all.

    - What you pay for your gear is irrelevant. Buying camera equipment is a purchase, not an entitlement. The company doesn't owe you anything other than what you paid for. If Olympus does not offer the service you're looking for, buy products from someone else. Olympus has already delivered the products you paid for; if they haven't, take them to court.

    - It takes time to develop camera equipment. If you can do it faster than Olympus, more power to you.

    I'll beg off from further debate, but



    If we are to refrain from expressing an opinion as potentially applicable to others based on the observations of our own experience, our own evaluations of advantage and disadvantage from our actions, what on earth are we going to talk about?

    The whole purpose of a discussion board, the process of posing a thought and engaging in the objective discussion of that thought, is to take what we as individuals learn from our personal experience and observation, generalize it as appropriate to the question at hand, and express that in the pursuit of understanding the subject matter of the thought more fully, in the context of exchange of several people's combined opinions and expressions.

    If you feel that doing this is "short-sighted" or inappropriate, you do not want to participate in a discussion of ideas.
    Sorry Godfrey, but I did not even answer to you directly, but made some general statements. If you feel offended, then that tells me something

    I do want to discuss why not more MP in current Oly 43 and M43 cameras when Panasonic shows it can be done and even shows the resulting high IQ.

    I do want to discuss why a Oly Pro user like me cannot get more appropriate support WRT high grade lenses and their top camera model.

    I do want to discuss why it takes Oly 5 months to deliver a 14-35, when I was told the time I ordered it, it would be delivered in 2 weeks.

    And I do want to discuss what a next gen Pro M43 would be able to deliver without stopped down by others insisting on "more MP is not necessary" - same for higher ISO BTW. That does not mean that everybody will need these features, but could be kind of interesting to see a bit of the future coming? Agree?

    I do want to discuss these topics in a forum like that and especially if people asking for opinions.

    I made my decision for Olympus because I like what the E5 delivers in combination with top glass, but I also want to be able to discuss shortcomings I feel are there and what could be expected from a certain vendor.

    Sure Oly does not owe me anything than delivering the products I ordered in time and working to the specs they offered, but on the other side I am the customer in this game and if I feel they do not right it so easy to go away and to another vendor / product and then they lost that customer. I am sure this is NOT in the intent of Olympus.

    And above all I do not want to fight in such a place and forum and I do not want being forced to accept others religious views - I think this is something every member can expect - right? I want to be able to discuss openly and of course also be questioned, but not offended.

  8. #8
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Guys please...!!!!!
    i didnt want this to turn into some kind of war about more mega pixels or not.
    but whilst we are on the subject i will have my say. 10 MP is fine for me but 12 would be nice and thats what im aiming for. I thought about changing to Nikon back in November to the D7000 but as it seems that people are saying the sensor out resolves some of the consumer lenses then i dont really see the point in more MP. So to reiterate for the record 12 MP is ok for me.

    NOW, back to the actual question, which was, and i will re word it: (Godfrey already answered this BTW) Would anyone like to speculate how long the E5 will remain in production as they stated it would remain available until m4/3 was able to match its performance or surpass it and given the fact that the EP-3 is an impresive bit of kit this COULD become a reality sooner than alot of us expect.

    Back to you forum peeps

    J.

    PS, thanks Godfrey for your earler post. Voice of reason and much appretiated.
    Last edited by JGH; 16th July 2011 at 10:33. Reason: addition

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Sorry Godfrey, but I did not even answer to you directly, but made some general statements. If you feel offended, then that tells me something
    Looking at the threaded view seems to indicate that you were responding directly to my post, although you didn't quote me.

    I'm not offended, I'm just amazed at how vitriolic your response is. It demonstrates that you feel very entitled and affronted by how your vendor treated you and feel that Olympus ought to bless you for the privilege of doing business with you. I'm sorry, but I don't feel that way at all. I'm very happy with the Olympus gear I've purchased: it's not perfect, nothing is, but it works very well for my purposes.
    And it is exactly what I expected when I placed the order. My vendor called me as soon as stock was delivered, which was a several week wait.

    But as I said, I will not participate in any further debate on this subject with you as you seem to be emotionally involved. I've made my opinions known as clearly and as objectively as I can. I don't have to infer, as you do, that you want to pick a fight: you've made that patently clear with your second post. Please don't get any more personal with your disparagement: I will just put you on my ignore list so I don't have to be annoyed or motivated to respond to your posts.

    My apologies to the original poster. I hate it when the discussion that was hoped for is distracted by nonsensical emotionalism. I hope you found my first response of some value in your thoughts on this subject.

  10. #10
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    Guys please...!!!!!
    i didnt want this to turn into some kind of war about more mega pixels or not.
    but whilst we are on the subject i will have my say. 10 MP is fine for me but 12 would be nice and thats what im aiming for. I thought about changing to Nikon back in November to the D7000 but as it seems that people are saying the sensor out resolves some of the consumer lenses then i dont really see the point in more MP. So to reiterate for the record 12 MP is ok for me.

    NOW, back to the actual question, which was, and i will re word it: (Godfrey already answered this BTW) Would anyone like to speculate how long the E5 will remain in production as they stated it would remain available until m4/3 was able to match its performance or surpass it and given the fact that the EP-3 is an impresive bit of kit this COULD become a reality sooner than alot of us expect.

    Back to you forum peeps

    J.

    PS, thanks Godfrey for your earler post. Voice of reason and much appretiated.
    My speculation (opinion) is as follows: the E5 will stay in production (low volume) till a newer and better (I hate to say but - more MP and better high ISO and better DR) available. Then we might see

    a) a M43 Pro and no longer an E5 (or successor) - which means adapting 43 glass to a M43 body, which I tried already but this is at least no fit for me (sizes are too different between lenses and body). In this case E5 will be gone and the last 43 camera model from Oly.

    b) a M43 Pro and a E7 with that new sensor will be there and this is what I actually hope, because then the 43 lenses would have a real life for me in the future. Again this is just my take, but I do not like the pro grade 43 glass on a M43 body (or this would have to be the size of a E5, which makes no sense IMHO).

    When will a) or b) that happen? I try to be positive and assume Oly is quick this time - then maybe in some 6-12 months. If I am more realistic (with all my background experiences about Olympus over the past decades) then I would say between 18-24 months.

    Hopefully answers your question.

    Enough speculation for me now. In your case (at least with your current requirements on MP and high ISO) I would try to get hold of a E5, even if this is the last mirror 43 DSLR, you will not regret.

  11. #11
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Looking at the threaded view seems to indicate that you were responding directly to my post, although you didn't quote me.

    I'm not offended, I'm just amazed at how vitriolic your response is. It demonstrates that you feel very entitled and affronted by how your vendor treated you and feel that Olympus ought to bless you for the privilege of doing business with you. I'm sorry, but I don't feel that way at all. I'm very happy with the Olympus gear I've purchased: it's not perfect, nothing is, but it works very well for my purposes.
    And it is exactly what I expected when I placed the order. My vendor called me as soon as stock was delivered, which was a several week wait.

    But as I said, I will not participate in any further debate on this subject with you as you seem to be emotionally involved. I've made my opinions known as clearly and as objectively as I can. I don't have to infer, as you do, that you want to pick a fight: you've made that patently clear with your second post. Please don't get any more personal with your disparagement: I will just put you on my ignore list so I don't have to be annoyed or motivated to respond to your posts.

    My apologies to the original poster. I hate it when the discussion that was hoped for is distracted by nonsensical emotionalism. I hope you found my first response of some value in your thoughts on this subject.
    Godfrey,

    there seems to be quite a substantial general misunderstanding here, plus a diverging view on what one might need for whatever photography. Plus a different view on how one would like to be treated by a vendor (or the representation of that vendor in a specific region).

    What makes me even more worried is, why you become so religious when it comes to MP and high ISO "This mania for more pixels and ever higher ISO is crazy ..." - as I got lot of good recommendations from you and finally bought my E5 based on your recommendations and experiences - which I did not regret a day so far! But obviously things like that happen, I feel really sad for that!

    Having said that - and I think you agree that all above is the case - I will no longer follow these discussions here as they will not bring us any further.

    Regards

    Peter

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    ...back to the actual question, which was, and i will re word it: (Godfrey already answered this BTW) Would anyone like to speculate how long the E5 will remain in production as they stated it would remain available until m4/3 was able to match its performance or surpass it and given the fact that the EP-3 is an impresive bit of kit this COULD become a reality sooner than alot of us expect.

    ...
    PS, thanks Godfrey for your earler post. Voice of reason and much appretiated.
    You're welcome, JGH.

    I didn't give a recommendation before, but I would suggest that you go for the E-5, particularly if you have intent to buy another lens or two. If you do intend to buy more lenses, save up and get the HG or SHG series lenses. They are significantly better quality than the already-good-quality standard series lenses, worth the premium price.

    The E-5 body is the best FourThirds DSLR made to date and is built like a tank, the lenses are fantastic, and it will last for a long long time in heavy service unless you need a higher resolution camera.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    Hi All,
    After waiting and saving for an E30 + 14-54 II it has got to the stage where no one here in CZ stocks the kit. The lens is still available (for the moment).
    Im gutted about this.. The E30 would fit my needs at a price i could consume.

    So plan B...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-E-30-12-...item1c1d54080c

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-E-30-12-...item2eb6928115

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-E-30-DSL...item5ae13bcc0e

  14. #14
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Hi All,
    Tesselator, thanks for the links. I looked at them and one is very tempting but the others wont ship to CZ, think im gonna have to wait again as i have my wedding anniversary soon and my wifes birthday so if i go on a spending spree for myself i could be selling all my gear for lawyers fees !!!!!

    Godfrey, i would dearly love SHG lenses but they are most definitly beyond my price range and i dont think my photos would be any better for spending thousands rather than hundreds, however some of the HG lenses are possible but not all at the same time obviously
    So keeping my fingers crossed Olympus keep the E5 around for another 16 months at least and i might be able to get one. For the time being i will look to get a couple of lenses. I should get my lightmeter in the next couple of weeks so i will be back to experimenting with flash but this time i can meter the ratios properly.

    Many thanks

    J

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: How long have i got?

    My somewhat uneducated guess is that Olympus will be selling the E-5 until there's a replacement available, be it another 4/3, an m4/3 or some kind of hybrid. Although they might not make much profit from the bodies, they probably do from the top pro glass, and getting back what they've invested in that must be high on their priority list. I've just ordered an E-620 myself, which will later become backup camera for the E-5(s) that I'll buy as soon as my shallow coffers permit. I look forward to carry 2-3 kilograms less around the race courses, compared to the Nikon gear I carry today.

    Another consequence of changing to Olympus is that I can consider real-time uploading to web galleries from races (using a wifi card and a netbook or MBA). Olympus jpegs are of very high quality and the AWB mostly spot on. With Nikon, there's no way around shooting RAW.

  16. #16
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Hello Jorgen,
    It would seem that the E5 will be around until the replacement my worry is, is that replacement might be rather soon and that it will not have an OVF. Im still kicking myself about the E30 because the VF on that is not as big as the E5 and believe it or not i actually like the VF in the E520 because i can see the whole frame. When i looked into the VF of a D300s it was amazingly large, bright and clear BUT i couldnt see the corners at all ( i wear glasses - strong ones!!) so the E30 having a slightly larger one would of been ideal. Oh well, missed it now move on....
    So fingers crossed the E5 is with us for some time and if i manage to get one in time then i will learn to live with the larger VF. I understand your comment on the weight of the Nikon gear. When i picked up the D300s i couldnt believe its weight and im concerned that the E5 being only slighty lighter could be an issue but again it will be a while before i can afford one.
    Thanks for your thoughts

    J.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Somewhat OT, perhaps, but this is a question at least as old as the Biblical book of Job...

  18. #18
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    My somewhat uneducated guess is that Olympus will be selling the E-5 until there's a replacement available, be it another 4/3, an m4/3 or some kind of hybrid. Although they might not make much profit from the bodies, they probably do from the top pro glass, and getting back what they've invested in that must be high on their priority list. I've just ordered an E-620 myself, which will later become backup camera for the E-5(s) that I'll buy as soon as my shallow coffers permit. I look forward to carry 2-3 kilograms less around the race courses, compared to the Nikon gear I carry today.

    Another consequence of changing to Olympus is that I can consider real-time uploading to web galleries from races (using a wifi card and a netbook or MBA). Olympus jpegs are of very high quality and the AWB mostly spot on. With Nikon, there's no way around shooting RAW.
    Jorgen,

    I have some problems with what you state here WRT weight of E5 and pro grade lenses versus Nikon. I am using the E5 and the 14-35 and 35-100 with 1.4 extender and while I love this combo I must say that it is more bulky and heavy than the D700 with 24-70 and 70-200 also with 1.4 extender. So if you talk about the pro grade glass this means definitely NOT less weight in that case.

    Also WRT JPEG OOC - I agree that Oly does maybe best in class here, but in order to unleash the real potential of the E5 you need to use it in combination with Pro grade glass and shooting ORF and converting in C1 Pro - this becomes then a totally different game WRT exceptional IQ (close to 24MP resolution at least).

  19. #19
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    Hello Jorgen,
    It would seem that the E5 will be around until the replacement my worry is, is that replacement might be rather soon and that it will not have an OVF. Im still kicking myself about the E30 because the VF on that is not as big as the E5 and believe it or not i actually like the VF in the E520 because i can see the whole frame. When i looked into the VF of a D300s it was amazingly large, bright and clear BUT i couldnt see the corners at all ( i wear glasses - strong ones!!) so the E30 having a slightly larger one would of been ideal. Oh well, missed it now move on....
    So fingers crossed the E5 is with us for some time and if i manage to get one in time then i will learn to live with the larger VF. I understand your comment on the weight of the Nikon gear. When i picked up the D300s i couldnt believe its weight and im concerned that the E5 being only slighty lighter could be an issue but again it will be a while before i can afford one.
    Thanks for your thoughts

    J.
    I would not worry about a soon replacement - unfortunately I am pretty sure that will not happen in the next 18 months. And if the replacement is a M43 Pro body, I have my doubts (as already stated more than often) that the necessary smaller size of the M43 Pro body will really match the size of the Pro grade lenses.

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: How long have i got?

    Peter,
    I won't use the heavy lenses for racing, since large apertures are rarely needed. The 50-200 is perfect for that and has similar reach to the 80-200 plus 300mm that I use now. The alternatives for Nikon would be the 80-400, which focuses too slowly or the Bigma, which is a beast to handle, particularly when doing pan shots all day long. Front-heavy lenses are no fun for pan shots, since they put too much strain on the left arm.

    For shorter focal lengths, the 14-54/II is perfect, and is much lighter and has more reach than the Nikkor 17-55. The Nikkor also lacks VR.

  21. #21
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Peter,
    I won't use the heavy lenses for racing, since large apertures are rarely needed. The 50-200 is perfect for that and has similar reach to the 80-200 plus 300mm that I use now. The alternatives for Nikon would be the 80-400, which focuses too slowly or the Bigma, which is a beast to handle, particularly when doing pan shots all day long. Front-heavy lenses are no fun for pan shots, since they put too much strain on the left arm.

    For shorter focal lengths, the 14-54/II is perfect, and is much lighter and has more reach than the Nikkor 17-55. The Nikkor also lacks VR.
    Understand, maybe I should also consider the 50-200

    WRT 14-54/II, why not take the 12-60? This is really UNIQUE and also not too heavy

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    If you definitely want/need the E-30 or E-5 and a new model is released... What's wrong with a lightly used E-30 or E-5?

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Understand, maybe I should also consider the 50-200

    WRT 14-54/II, why not take the 12-60? This is really UNIQUE and also not too heavy
    The 12-60 is an alternative that I consider, particularly for the wide end, but it's 50% more expensive (I try to save up for the 14-35mm as well) and a bit bigger/heavier. It's mostly a financial question, but I also suspect that the 14-54 will handle better on m4/3 bodies. I haven't tried any of them on the smaller bodies yet though, but will borrow the 12-60 later this summer to check it out.

  24. #24
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The 12-60 is an alternative that I consider, particularly for the wide end, but it's 50% more expensive (I try to save up for the 14-35mm as well) and a bit bigger/heavier. It's mostly a financial question, but I also suspect that the 14-54 will handle better on m4/3 bodies. I haven't tried any of them on the smaller bodies yet though, but will borrow the 12-60 later this summer to check it out.
    I have borrowed the 12-60 and own the 14-35. Despite the higher speed of the 14-35 I prefer the 12-60: much lighter, much faster AF and tack sharp!

    With my knowledge today I would not buy the 14-35 again, because I actually prefer some primes for fast lenses, e.g. the 1.4/25, 1.4/30, 1.4/50 etc. Much faster than 2.0 and much more compact. Although the 14-35 for sure is very flexible as a zoom. But you carry a huge weight.

  25. #25
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by ekoe View Post
    If you definitely want/need the E-30 or E-5 and a new model is released... What's wrong with a lightly used E-30 or E-5?
    Nothing wrong with the E5, only that it is not as small and light as the other Olympus 43 bodies. Depends very much on your needs (size, lenses, robustness) what you prefer.

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    ... Godfrey, i would dearly love SHG lenses but they are most definitly beyond my price range and i dont think my photos would be any better for spending thousands rather than hundreds, however some of the HG lenses are possible but not all at the same time obviously
    So keeping my fingers crossed Olympus keep the E5 around for another 16 months at least and i might be able to get one. For the time being i will look to get a couple of lenses. I should get my lightmeter in the next couple of weeks so i will be back to experimenting with flash but this time i can meter the ratios properly.
    The SHG lenses are all wonderful performers, but I don't own any of them either as they are simply more expensive than I need/want to spend money on, and their speed makes them bulky and heavy.

    The HG lenses are what I was thinking of: the 14-54, 11-22, and 50-200 make for an extremely capable and high quality system, that is also reasonably compact and modest in weight. And f/2.8-3.5 is generally fast enough. Some primes as well ... the Summilux 25, 35 and 50 Macros ... are super quality and sensible in size/weight/price.

    My kit is the E-5 plus 11-22, Summilux 25, 35 Macro, 50 Macro, Nikkor 85 plus the EC14 telextender. It's a great setup and everything I need to carry (body+lens+three additional lenses) fits with plenty of room to spare for other stuff in a Tenba Mini Messenger (along with iPad or even MBP 13" in a pinch).

    (Even with that said, I'm debating whether I need all this gear. My photography is moving to a "simpler" subject domain using fewer lenses, even lighter and smaller equipment is becoming more appropriate. Since I bought the GXR, I've hardly touched the SLR kit, and when I have I've mostly used the E-1 body and the macro lenses for tabletop work. I'd like to complement the GXR with a Leica M8 or M9 body some time in the nearish future. So I might well have some gear for sale ...)

  27. #27
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: How long have i got?

    Godfrey,
    Have you tried the 1.4x TC with the 11-22? Yes, I know, odd combo, but if it works well, it might save me a few dimes and a few hundred grams as well.

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Godfrey,
    Have you tried the 1.4x TC with the 11-22? Yes, I know, odd combo, but if it works well, it might save me a few dimes and a few hundred grams as well.
    I tried it once. Results didn't thrill me. It's a superb telextender, and not cheap, but it is definitely optimized for longer focal length lenses. It works best with the 35 and 50 macros, the 50-200, and the 150 Oly lenses that I've used it with. I use it now with the Macros and with the Nikkor 85.

  29. #29
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Godfrey,
    Have you tried the 1.4x TC with the 11-22? Yes, I know, odd combo, but if it works well, it might save me a few dimes and a few hundred grams as well.
    The TC 1.4 works in general much better with longer focal lengths. I use it with the 35-100, actually it is constantly on this lens meanwhile and I am VERY PLEASED with the results.

    Just to put this statement in context: I always had a 1.4 TC from all other brands I worked with like Nikon and Canon, but i rarely used it because IQ degraded significantly - not so with the Olympus TC and lenses! And for the 50-200 it works just fine!

  30. #30
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: How long have i got?

    Thanks, Godfrey and Peter. That was what I suspected.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGH View Post
    Hi All,
    Tesselator, thanks for the links. I looked at them and one is very tempting but the others wont ship to CZ, think im gonna have to wait again as i have my wedding anniversary soon and my wifes birthday so if i go on a spending spree for myself i could be selling all my gear for lawyers fees !!!!!
    Surre NP. There are many sources to check out before you give up tho - I just checked one out. I mean, if you're set on the E›30 then might as well. I'd be asking myself what the price and feature differences were about now - but what is the E›5 anyway, double or triple the E›30 price?

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Surre NP. There are many sources to check out before you give up tho - I just checked one out. I mean, if you're set on the E30 then might as well. I'd be asking myself what the price and feature differences were about now - but what is the E5 anyway, double or triple the E30 price?
    The E-30, body only, was $1149 when last available new at B&H, the E-5 body is $1699 at present. That's a $550 or roughly 30% premium for the full magnesium-clad body, weather sealing, dual-slot IO setup, video capture, faster responsiveness, much larger and brighter SLR viewfinder, a bazillion more features, pro-grade build quality, etc etc.

    I thought long and hard about buying the E-30 before buying the E-5. The premium was well worth it to me.

  33. #33
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How long have i got?

    Just found a used E30 with a 50-200 SWD, EC14 and a std 14-42 for 1300 uk pounds (40,000 CZK) but the wife said no...
    AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  34. #34
    Member JGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech Republic
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: How long have i got?

    Hi All,
    An amazing thing happened on thursday evening. I was looking on Aukro (Czech Ebay equivelent) for some lenses and thought i would see what cameras people were selling, well to my suprise there was an E30 body which looked in mint condition.
    I checked to see if there were any bids on it as i had just lost out on some other items i wanted as was a bit miffed but the item was a "buy now" only.
    Well the adrenalin was pumping then i can tell you and i had to make a quick call to my wife (she was in England at the time) to see if she was in agreement.......she was
    So as she said "yeah, ok" i hit the buy now button.
    It arrived today and came with an extra battery and a remote trigger and the good part is it was only 12650 CZK (about 422) inc postage. This is about half the price of a new body here except there are no new bodys here...!
    The really good part is when i checked the shutter actuation count in the menu. It had 10953 its barely run in... fantastic !!!
    Im very grateful to the woman who sold it and i even bought an Olympus backpack from her too so i can keep all my gear together. My wife says i have spent my camera allowance for this year
    I still cant believe i found a like new hardly used E30. So the E5 plan is probably scrubbed now and it will be HG lenses next year.

    Im a happy camper now and will be learning the new layout and metering over the next few weeks. I love the viewfinder. It is perfect for my dodgy eyes and the lenses i have seem to focus faster too.
    Im glad i didnt go to Nikon last year now.

    Thanks

    J

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •