The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 still superior to other m4/3s

RichA

If you look at the G3 shots compared to the other two, there is purple speckles in the blue channel RAWs at 800 ISO and higher with the PEN's and the G's, not so much for the GH2. 1600, it's even more apparent. However, the G3 does appear to have a slightly cleaner image than the new Olympus PEN E-P3.

However, the Sony NEX and Fuji X100 do better in the green and yellow channels.

http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusep3/page12.asp

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure if I care. As long as the camera has PPM (Panoramic Portrait Mode), I'm as happy as can be :)

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro

Tesselator

If you look at the G3 shots compared to the other two, there is purple speckles in the blue channel RAWs at 800 ISO and higher with the PEN's and the G's, not so much for the GH2. 1600, it's even more apparent. However, the G3 does appear to have a slightly cleaner image than the new Olympus PEN E-P3.

Stop already! We're trying to get the prices DOWN you know... Not up... :poke:

Right? Let's hear it... The GH2 is crappy and the Sony will snuff it in short order!

YES, GH2s for $500!!! :D

pellicle

I'm not sure if I care. As long as the camera has PPM (Panoramic Portrait Mode), I'm as happy as can be :)

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro
I gotta say I love the 50mm as a portrait lens too ... I love these cameras with lenses from 50mm and up, just fantastic.

I guess they're pretty darn good at wide settings too ... such as with the Oly 9-18 lens

hot

I dislike GH2 because it has no micro wave oven built in and has no coke holder! Are you all believing dpr writes? They get paid for their writing!
Much fun with your all-believing-dpr-and-hair-splitting-religion! :D

And don't forget:
RAW is lifetime wasting

Godfrey

I think it's time to buy a Holga and forget all this "X is better than Y" contentiousness. With a Holga, you know what you have is pure crap and just work around the problems to make pleasing photos.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wonderful tones in that portrait Jorgen! PPM?? :D
Thanks, Arne. I find the 16:9 format increasingly interesting, also for portraits, and my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating.

Godfrey,
You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion :)

f6cvalkyrie

most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion :)
This is so true, Jorgen, and made me decide so far to go on shooting with my G1 and spend the £$£$£$ on lenses.

Not sure if Panny/Oly will like this, though !

Have a nice day,
Rafael

Godfrey

Thanks, Arne. I find the 16:9 format increasingly interesting, also for portraits, and my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating.

Godfrey,
You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion.
re: 16:9 ... I like it a lot too, but I don't need the camera to enforce the framing. I have a standard 16:9 crop preset in Lightroom that I can apply (and often do as a default on import) when I have been shooting with the format in mind.

Regard camera upgrades vs lenses ... I've been quite happy with the image quality and dynamic range produced by all the 5Mpixel and up DSLRs I've owned ... I haven't really seen much difficulty even with the oldest of them (the E-1, 2003-2004 technology) and been able to produce superbly detailed and beautiful 16x20 and 20x24 inch sized prints from all of them. In general, I've found moving up to the 10-12 Mpixel range has provided a useful and well-worth it added amount of editing flexibility. More's better but comes at the expense of increasing space consumption and higher processing performance requirements.

Where camera body improvements continue to interest me is in the area of responsiveness. I don't mean "blazing fast AF" because I prefer to use Manual focus a lot of the time, I mean reduced shutter lag and fast shot to shot performance, quick writes to storage, etc. The E-5 is there ... I don't need any more than that camera provides ... but I'm more interested in the smaller cameras now. The Micro-FourThirds and NEX are ahead of the GXR in this regard (not sure about the X100), but none of them are quite up to the DSLRs yet. (It's a digression, but this was one of the reasons I moved back to DSLRs last Fall ...)

The Leica M is there already too. Since that's where I'm headed if I observe my current course. Since most of the lenses usable on the Leica M are superb, I'm kowtowing to the lens religion first while I assemble pennies towards the cost of the body.

Funny, but the Holga is there too on the shutter responsiveness ... ;-)

"The Leica M is there already too. Since that's where I'm headed if I observe my current course."

Gosh you got me into shopping mode - for about five minutes..

But for weight (thinking about lenses) and high iso it's got a bit to catch up with the GH2. Yes?

Tony

RichA

Stop already! We're trying to get the prices DOWN you know... Not up... :poke:

Right? Let's hear it... The GH2 is crappy and the Sony will snuff it in short order!

YES, GH2s for $500!!! :D
The current NEX's are too horribly compromised to be considered serious competition for the best of the m4/3rds. No EVF, no sale.

Millsart

The current NEX's are too horribly compromised to be considered serious competition for the best of the m4/3rds. No EVF, no sale.

m4/3 could be said to be just as compromised in regards to DR and high ISO performance.

Either you get the bigger sensor in NEX and give up the EVF or you get the EVF and better range of native glass in m4/3 and give up some IQ

Both are a compromise and I think its pretty darn egocentric of you to expect all other shooters to follow your "no evf = no sale" mentality.

Do you really think every photographer wants an EVF ??

I recently did buy a GH2 after going from NEX to X100 and back to m4/3 for full disclosure but simply because it works best for my own needs and the compromises I'm willing to make.

Its a better camera for ME, but its still just as compromised as any SONY