The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 still superior to other m4/3s

biglouis

Thanks, Arne. I find the 16:9 format increasingly interesting, also for portraits, and my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating.

Godfrey,
You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion :)
Jorgen, that is a great capture and I totally agree about the 16:9 format. I started using it on my GH-2 back in May and I still haven't changed back to 4x3!

Mind you, I haven't had potraits quite as attractive as that one to take!

LouisB

Amin

Beautiful portrait, Jorgen

I bought an E-P3 yesterday from B&H and sold my GH2 today to fund it. I loved the GH2. It's my favorite digital camera EVER, and that includes countless Canon/Nikon/Oly/Pentax DSLRs and many fixed lens compacts.

I'll miss the high ISO ability, dynamic range, multi-aspect sensor, great video capability, and automatic correction of color fringing with my Panasonic primes.

So why switch? My reasons:

-Want to try something new. I've been using Panasonic G1/GH1/GH2 since the beginning

-E-P3 is beautiful. It reminds me of old, loved Olympus cameras from the past. I want to hold, use, and show it off. It'll make me carry it and use it more. I bought it in black to match my Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes

-The touch AF implementation on the E-P3 looks really fun and useful. If you don't know what I mean, check out the DigitalRev review on YouTube

-In-body IS will be useful for the upcoming Oly 45mm f/1.8

-Sensor image quality doesn't matter much to me. All of these cameras have good enough sensor image quality for me. Lens character is much more important in meeting my "image quality" standards

-I shoot 99% RAW but like the option of shooting Oly JPEG. It's like an old favorite film stock which I haven't had a chance to use in years.

So... I think the GH2 sensor still reigns supreme, but there are plenty of reasons to choose one camera or another ;).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Beautiful portrait, Jorgen

I bought an E-P3 yesterday from B&H and sold my GH2 today to fund it. I loved the GH2. It's my favorite digital camera EVER, and that includes countless Canon/Nikon/Oly/Pentax DSLRs and many fixed lens compacts.

I'll miss the high ISO ability, dynamic range, multi-aspect sensor, great video capability, and automatic correction of color fringing with my Panasonic primes.

So why switch? My reasons:

-Want to try something new. I've been using Panasonic G1/GH1/GH2 since the beginning

-E-P3 is beautiful. It reminds me of old, loved Olympus cameras from the past. I want to hold, use, and show it off. It'll make me carry it and use it more. I bought it in black to match my Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes

-The touch AF implementation on the E-P3 looks really fun and useful. If you don't know what I mean, check out the DigitalRev review on YouTube

-In-body IS will be useful for the upcoming Oly 45mm f/1.8

-Sensor image quality doesn't matter much to me. All of these cameras have good enough sensor image quality for me. Lens character is much more important in meeting my "image quality" standards

-I shoot 99% RAW but like the option of shooting Oly JPEG. It's like an old favorite film stock which I haven't had a chance to use in years.

So... I think the GH2 sensor still reigns supreme, but there are plenty of reasons to choose one camera or another ;).
Congratulations Amin!

I will get my EP3 in hopefully a week or so :)

And I also prefer the Oly handling and all to the Panasonic - although Pana might be technically better :cool:

Diane B

Amin, Look forward to hearing and seeing results. Will you add the EVF or shoot entirely with the LCD?

I understand your switch and wanting to try the Oly m4/3s but I would have a hard time selling off a GH2 if I owned one LOL, altho' I admit in the end I chose to buy a G3 instead.

Diane

Amin

Thanks, Peter and Diane. Diane, it's strange - I used the EVF for the vast majority of what I shot on the GH2, and all my life I've favored eye level viewfinders... but I think the touch focus is going to make me a believer with the E-P3. Also, the VF-2 seems a very bulbous affair compared to the G3 or GH2 integrated EVF.

My current plan is to put a small OVF such as a Ricoh GV-2 on the E-P3 and use that for rough framing when I want the eye level view.

Diane B

Well, I do like the touch focus on the G3 though I don't use it all the time. I haven't tried an Oly m4/3 since the EP1 so look forward to real life reports.

Diane

davemillier

I would normally agree, but I have found my cheap refurb NEX 3 with Contax G lenses to be a fine tripod camera. Makes going out with the tripod a breeze...

The current NEX's are too horribly compromised to be considered serious competition for the best of the m4/3rds. No EVF, no sale.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks, Peter and Diane. Diane, it's strange - I used the EVF for the vast majority of what I shot on the GH2, and all my life I've favored eye level viewfinders... but I think the touch focus is going to make me a believer with the E-P3. Also, the VF-2 seems a very bulbous affair compared to the G3 or GH2 integrated EVF.

My current plan is to put a small OVF such as a Ricoh GV-2 on the E-P3 and use that for rough framing when I want the eye level view.
Maybe your solution is here - VF-3

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11072705olyepl3pricingvf3.asp

I personally am not happy about that announcement, as I had waited for a higher resolution EVF from Oly (3MP or more).

DHart

Amin... I can totally understand your interest in having an E-P3. As a dedicated Panny guy since Feb 2010, I wouldn't mind adding an E-P3 to the stable to check it out and for having a totally different camera experience. No doubt it's a great camera, given it's design parameters.

I couldn't bring myself to give up a GH2 or a G3, though. But I also totally understand how you can relate much better to a camera when it's your only body... you get to know it so well and get so much like it's an extension of you... something that's harder to do when you've got two, three, four, five different bodies and two or three different formats. Urghhhh.