Site Sponsors

Thread: GH2 still superior to other m4/3s

Post Thanks / Like

GH2 still superior to other m4/3s

If you look at the G3 shots compared to the other two, there is purple speckles in the blue channel RAWs at 800 ISO and higher with the PEN's and the G's, not so much for the GH2. 1600, it's even more apparent. However, the G3 does appear to have a slightly cleaner image than the new Olympus PEN E-P3.

However, the Sony NEX and Fuji X100 do better in the green and yellow channels.

http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusep3/page12.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GH2 still superior to other m4/3s

it has been pretty quiet here hasn't it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    it has been pretty quiet here hasn't it
    Hm .... pretty quiet.

Not sure about the real future of M43 when Sony next generation APSC sensors become available - just to put some oil in the fire

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure if I care. As long as the camera has PPM (Panoramic Portrait Mode), I'm as happy as can be

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    If you look at the G3 shots compared to the other two, there is purple speckles in the blue channel RAWs at 800 ISO and higher with the PEN's and the G's, not so much for the GH2. 1600, it's even more apparent. However, the G3 does appear to have a slightly cleaner image than the new Olympus PEN E-P3.

Stop already! We're trying to get the prices DOWN you know... Not up...

Right? Let's hear it... The GH2 is crappy and the Sony will snuff it in short order!

YES, GH2s for $500!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm not sure if I care. As long as the camera has PPM (Panoramic Portrait Mode), I'm as happy as can be

I gotta say I love the 50mm as a portrait lens too ... I love these cameras with lenses from 50mm and up, just fantastic.

I guess they're pretty darn good at wide settings too ... such as with the Oly 9-18 lens

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike GH2 because it has no micro wave oven built in and has no coke holder! Are you all believing dpr writes? They get paid for their writing!
    Much fun with your all-believing-dpr-and-hair-splitting-religion!

And don't forget:
    RAW is lifetime wasting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful tones in that portrait Jorgen! PPM??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's time to buy a Holga and forget all this "X is better than Y" contentiousness. With a Holga, you know what you have is pure crap and just work around the problems to make pleasing photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Wonderful tones in that portrait Jorgen! PPM??
    Thanks, Arne. I find the 16:9 format increasingly interesting, also for portraits, and my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating.

Godfrey,
    You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I think it's time to buy a Holga and forget all this "X is better than Y" contentiousness. With a Holga, you know what you have is pure crap and just work around the problems to make pleasing photos.
    You asked for Holga photos:

14970011 by photosmart42, on Flickr

14970008 by photosmart42, on Flickr

14970009 by photosmart42, on Flickr
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

"my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating."

My xPan did not evaporate. It was stolen at London Thiefrow airport.

But I am moving back to 16:9 a lot with my GH2.

http://www.tonygamble.org/Croquet%20...2011/index.htm

It's not an easy sport to photograph and show the setting - hence the unusual framing.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm, that's a turn-on! Damn, if only I were 60 years younger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Mmmm, that's a turn-on! Damn, if only I were 60 years younger!
    We can pretend, Tess. You won't know the reality until you look in the mirror

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion
    This is so true, Jorgen, and made me decide so far to go on shooting with my G1 and spend the $$$ on lenses.

Not sure if Panny/Oly will like this, though !

Have a nice day,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Holgology there, Dragos! :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Arne. I find the 16:9 format increasingly interesting, also for portraits, and my dream of an Xpan is slowly evaporating.

Godfrey,
    You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion.
    re: 16:9 ... I like it a lot too, but I don't need the camera to enforce the framing. I have a standard 16:9 crop preset in Lightroom that I can apply (and often do as a default on import) when I have been shooting with the format in mind.

Regard camera upgrades vs lenses ... I've been quite happy with the image quality and dynamic range produced by all the 5Mpixel and up DSLRs I've owned ... I haven't really seen much difficulty even with the oldest of them (the E-1, 2003-2004 technology) and been able to produce superbly detailed and beautiful 16x20 and 20x24 inch sized prints from all of them. In general, I've found moving up to the 10-12 Mpixel range has provided a useful and well-worth it added amount of editing flexibility. More's better but comes at the expense of increasing space consumption and higher processing performance requirements.

Where camera body improvements continue to interest me is in the area of responsiveness. I don't mean "blazing fast AF" because I prefer to use Manual focus a lot of the time, I mean reduced shutter lag and fast shot to shot performance, quick writes to storage, etc. The E-5 is there ... I don't need any more than that camera provides ... but I'm more interested in the smaller cameras now. The Micro-FourThirds and NEX are ahead of the GXR in this regard (not sure about the X100), but none of them are quite up to the DSLRs yet. (It's a digression, but this was one of the reasons I moved back to DSLRs last Fall ...)

The Leica M is there already too. Since that's where I'm headed if I observe my current course. Since most of the lenses usable on the Leica M are superb, I'm kowtowing to the lens religion first while I assemble pennies towards the cost of the body.

Funny, but the Holga is there too on the shutter responsiveness ... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

"The Leica M is there already too. Since that's where I'm headed if I observe my current course."

Gosh you got me into shopping mode - for about five minutes..

But for weight (thinking about lenses) and high iso it's got a bit to catch up with the GH2. Yes?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Stop already! We're trying to get the prices DOWN you know... Not up...

Right? Let's hear it... The GH2 is crappy and the Sony will snuff it in short order!

YES, GH2s for $500!!!
    The current NEX's are too horribly compromised to be considered serious competition for the best of the m4/3rds. No EVF, no sale.

Post Thanks / Like

The current NEX's are too horribly compromised to be considered serious competition for the best of the m4/3rds. No EVF, no sale.

m4/3 could be said to be just as compromised in regards to DR and high ISO performance.

Either you get the bigger sensor in NEX and give up the EVF or you get the EVF and better range of native glass in m4/3 and give up some IQ

Both are a compromise and I think its pretty darn egocentric of you to expect all other shooters to follow your "no evf = no sale" mentality.

Do you really think every photographer wants an EVF ??

I recently did buy a GH2 after going from NEX to X100 and back to m4/3 for full disclosure but simply because it works best for my own needs and the compromises I'm willing to make.

Its a better camera for ME, but its still just as compromised as any SONY

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey,
    You are right of course, although a Holga would be inconvenient for some kinds of work. What I do know, and this was part of the reason for my first post in this thread, is that most camera upgrades would mean marginal improvements to my photography, if any at all. Lenses on the other hand... lenses are religion
    Jorgen, that is a great capture and I totally agree about the 16:9 format. I started using it on my GH-2 back in May and I still haven't changed back to 4x3!

Mind you, I haven't had potraits quite as attractive as that one to take!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful portrait, Jorgen

I bought an E-P3 yesterday from B&H and sold my GH2 today to fund it. I loved the GH2. It's my favorite digital camera EVER, and that includes countless Canon/Nikon/Oly/Pentax DSLRs and many fixed lens compacts.

I'll miss the high ISO ability, dynamic range, multi-aspect sensor, great video capability, and automatic correction of color fringing with my Panasonic primes.

So why switch? My reasons:

-Want to try something new. I've been using Panasonic G1/GH1/GH2 since the beginning

-E-P3 is beautiful. It reminds me of old, loved Olympus cameras from the past. I want to hold, use, and show it off. It'll make me carry it and use it more. I bought it in black to match my Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes

-The touch AF implementation on the E-P3 looks really fun and useful. If you don't know what I mean, check out the DigitalRev review on YouTube

-In-body IS will be useful for the upcoming Oly 45mm f/1.8

-Sensor image quality doesn't matter much to me. All of these cameras have good enough sensor image quality for me. Lens character is much more important in meeting my "image quality" standards

-I shoot 99% RAW but like the option of shooting Oly JPEG. It's like an old favorite film stock which I haven't had a chance to use in years.

So... I think the GH2 sensor still reigns supreme, but there are plenty of reasons to choose one camera or another .
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Beautiful portrait, Jorgen

I bought an E-P3 yesterday from B&H and sold my GH2 today to fund it. I loved the GH2. It's my favorite digital camera EVER, and that includes countless Canon/Nikon/Oly/Pentax DSLRs and many fixed lens compacts.

I'll miss the high ISO ability, dynamic range, multi-aspect sensor, great video capability, and automatic correction of color fringing with my Panasonic primes.

So why switch? My reasons:

-Want to try something new. I've been using Panasonic G1/GH1/GH2 since the beginning

-E-P3 is beautiful. It reminds me of old, loved Olympus cameras from the past. I want to hold, use, and show it off. It'll make me carry it and use it more. I bought it in black to match my Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes

-The touch AF implementation on the E-P3 looks really fun and useful. If you don't know what I mean, check out the DigitalRev review on YouTube

-In-body IS will be useful for the upcoming Oly 45mm f/1.8

-Sensor image quality doesn't matter much to me. All of these cameras have good enough sensor image quality for me. Lens character is much more important in meeting my "image quality" standards

-I shoot 99% RAW but like the option of shooting Oly JPEG. It's like an old favorite film stock which I haven't had a chance to use in years.

So... I think the GH2 sensor still reigns supreme, but there are plenty of reasons to choose one camera or another .
    Congratulations Amin!

I will get my EP3 in hopefully a week or so

And I also prefer the Oly handling and all to the Panasonic - although Pana might be technically better

Post Thanks / Like

Amin, Look forward to hearing and seeing results. Will you add the EVF or shoot entirely with the LCD?

I understand your switch and wanting to try the Oly m4/3s but I would have a hard time selling off a GH2 if I owned one LOL, altho' I admit in the end I chose to buy a G3 instead.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Peter and Diane. Diane, it's strange - I used the EVF for the vast majority of what I shot on the GH2, and all my life I've favored eye level viewfinders... but I think the touch focus is going to make me a believer with the E-P3. Also, the VF-2 seems a very bulbous affair compared to the G3 or GH2 integrated EVF.

My current plan is to put a small OVF such as a Ricoh GV-2 on the E-P3 and use that for rough framing when I want the eye level view.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do like the touch focus on the G3 though I don't use it all the time. I haven't tried an Oly m4/3 since the EP1 so look forward to real life reports.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would normally agree, but I have found my cheap refurb NEX 3 with Contax G lenses to be a fine tripod camera. Makes going out with the tripod a breeze...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Thanks, Peter and Diane. Diane, it's strange - I used the EVF for the vast majority of what I shot on the GH2, and all my life I've favored eye level viewfinders... but I think the touch focus is going to make me a believer with the E-P3. Also, the VF-2 seems a very bulbous affair compared to the G3 or GH2 integrated EVF.

My current plan is to put a small OVF such as a Ricoh GV-2 on the E-P3 and use that for rough framing when I want the eye level view.
    Maybe your solution is here - VF-3

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11...pricingvf3.asp

I personally am not happy about that announcement, as I had waited for a higher resolution EVF from Oly (3MP or more).

Post Thanks / Like

Amin... I can totally understand your interest in having an E-P3. As a dedicated Panny guy since Feb 2010, I wouldn't mind adding an E-P3 to the stable to check it out and for having a totally different camera experience. No doubt it's a great camera, given it's design parameters.

I couldn't bring myself to give up a GH2 or a G3, though. But I also totally understand how you can relate much better to a camera when it's your only body... you get to know it so well and get so much like it's an extension of you... something that's harder to do when you've got two, three, four, five different bodies and two or three different formats. Urghhhh.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."