The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 12mm/f2 lenses are now shipping...

Audii-Dudii

I don't know if this is old news or not, but I received an email from B&H today informing me that mine is on its way. Here's hoping it's a better performer than the Panasonic 14mm/f2.5 I tried earlier this year, which I found to be an okay performer, but not great.

Pelao

It will be interesting to hear what you think of it.

I am very happy with my 14 - but I suppose much depends on what and how you photograph. I was reading a review of the 12 the other day, and it was very positive. Interestingly, it was not rated as significantly better than the 14 - and certainly not in any way that is likely to be noticed in actual use. I had hoped for more, given the price.

On the other hand, reviews only tell us so much. We really have to try a lens, and see what it can do for us as individuals.

Hope it gets to you soon!

Audii-Dudii

I am very happy with my 14 - but I suppose much depends on what and how you photograph.
Sample-to-sample variation is a factor as well, so it's certainly possible the one I bought wasn't representative. I would have tried another sample, but I don't need 12mm and 14mm lenses (and of the two, my preference was for 12mm), so I decided to wait and see what Olympus came up with...

On the other hand, reviews only tell us so much. We really have to try a lens, and see what it can do for us as individuals.
Agreed! I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it for a day or two...

Terry

It is nice to use. I had some time with one. The push back of the focus ring to get into manual or zone focus is very cleverly designed. However, not a focal right now where I feel like I need a fast lens.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Joining in to hear the details. Interesting that, in the fine print on the B&H site, the actual aperture is ƒ1.8—what, about 1/3rd of a stop faster or so?. I wonder why they did not market this way?

Audii-Dudii

However, not a focal right now where I feel like I need a fast lens.
I don't really need the f2 speed, either, but the other lens I use is a Voigtlander 12mm/f5.6 and that needs to be shot at f8, which is a bit slow for my purposes. It (combined with the adapter) is also surprisingly heavy and unbalances the camera in use.

No, for me, the primary appeal of this lens is its relatively small size, as I presently use my 4/3-format 7-14mm zoom when I need something wider than 14mm, and it's simply too large for me to carry it around every day. I'm also hoping the 12mm prime outperforms it somewhat as well...

Pelao

Which part of the review did not impress you?
The price... :)

Seems like a pretty awesome lens in many ways, but I just don't shoot enough that wide to justify the investment. The 14 is, in my view, excellent and better value.

But of course value is different for each of us.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The price... :)

Seems like a pretty awesome lens in many ways, but I just don't shoot enough that wide to justify the investment. The 14 is, in my view, excellent and better value.

But of course value is different for each of us.
The 14mm is indeed excellent value, but the 12mm seems to be sharper at f/2.0 than the 14mm at f/2.8. Sometimes, one stop is the difference between a sharp and a blurry photo. Written off over ten years or more, the price difference doesn't amount to much.

roanjoh

I had a chance to shoot with the 12 today attached to the GF1 - just uploaded the photos and I am very impressed - contrast, micro-detail, color and sharpness - it is all there :) Great lens. I was about ready to let go of all my m4/3 system because of the lack of good high quality primes - and then Oly came along to save the day. Certainly looking forward to more.

Pelao

The 14mm is indeed excellent value, but the 12mm seems to be sharper at f/2.0 than the 14mm at f/2.8. Sometimes, one stop is the difference between a sharp and a blurry photo. Written off over ten years or more, the price difference doesn't amount to much.
I am not yet sure I agree regarding the sharpness. Good point about writing off over an extended period. That would be my reality. It's probably not the case with much of the market (it's incredible how often people change systems, never mind cameras and lenses - but I suppose new stuff makes you a better photographer...), but yes, fair point.

I sold my Canon equipment recently as part of a simplify and force some new photographic thinking process. Anyway, most of it was 7+ years old, and on some items I lost nothing, while on others only 10 - 12%. It was good stuff, the best, well cared for.

Now I am down to a small, light, go everywhere camera and 3 lenses.

Audii-Dudii

As a follow-up, the lens arrived today and in terms of cosmetics, it's a perfect match for my (now somewhat scruffy) stainless-steel E-P1:

Unfortunately, I don't expect to have much time to photograph with it until later this week, but if I do and anything jumps out at me, I'll post back.

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Okay, here are two I captured at the building where I work. They were captured in B&W, but have been subject to a bit of post-processing as I was using them for another purpose. Bottom-line: My initial reaction is that I'm quite favorably impressed by its performance!

This weekend, I hope to perform a more rigorous comparison between the 4/3-format Oly 7-14/f2 zoom, the Oly 12mm/f2, and the Voitlander 12mm/f5.6 lenses and will post back with the results.