The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for E-P3?

sagar

Just curious. While I saw lot of enthusiasm about G3s, don't see anyone talking about E-P3. At least from the specs Olympus might have a winner in the hand, but bit surprised to see no one is talking about.

Did anyone here get hands on E-P3? What's your experience so far?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As my EP2 went to my son, I ordered the EP3 kit with 14-45 and 45-150 and hope to get it in 2 weeks. Will keep you updated about my findings, and how I like it. But as I already liked the EP2 very much I assume I will become a real fan of the EP3.

Will see what I will do then with my GH2, maybe sell and get some of the M43 primes for that money.

Amin

I've got lots of love for my new E-P3

My wife being a good sport with the "new camera smile":

(E-P3 and PL45)

jonoslack

Sounds fantastic to me. I have one on order, but all they can say is 'sometime in August'.
We shall see - Amin - please give yourself a smart slap for getting yours before I do!

jonoslack

Dips toes in water again....
Ah - the pot and kettle syndrome! But to be honest Terry, a year ago it was only Sony and Leica - since then everything has hit the fan (Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax) . . . and in 3 months I might predict that it will be . . . only Sony and Leica.

Pelao

Just curious. While I saw lot of enthusiasm about G3s, don't see anyone talking about E-P3. At least from the specs Olympus might have a winner in the hand, but bit surprised to see no one is talking about.

Did anyone here get hands on E-P3? What's your experience so far?
They may well have a winner on their hands, but perhaps via a more traditional route. Most of the major review sites have yet to offer their full reviews, but a lot of previews are somewhat unenthusiastic about the EP3. Certain features are appreciated (fast AF being an example), but there is a lot of "..this is what the EP2 should have been...", going on.

Photographers, on the other hand, are loving it. Sure, image quality doesn't push things forward much, but for the class of camera the EP2 was a winner in this regard. The important thing is that so far, most of the users I know (some personally, some via forums) who take photography seriously really like the camera and enjoy using it.

So it may get very good, but not rave technical reviews. But it's getting some good photographer buzz: it looks good, feels good, it's fast, can capture an excellent file and has a few new features that are opening some creative doors. This is stuff that's hard to headline if you want web traffic, but it can sell a lot of cameras to people who care about such things.

Terry

Ah - the pot and kettle syndrome! But to be honest Terry, a year ago it was only Sony and Leica - since then everything has hit the fan (Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax) . . . and in 3 months I might predict that it will be . . . only Sony and Leica.
Yeah I am waiting to see what the NEX7 brings. For a company that I've had a love/hate relationship with over the years they seem to be pretty thoughtful on the camera side of things. They do slip up now an then like about 2 years ago with a whole mash up of different models but the A77 is going to be an eye opener.

Amin

I don't think the E-P3 is going to get very good reviews from the major sites. There's a lot of emphasis on sensor image quality, and that's a definite weak point for this camera.

For me, the major strength of MFT image quality is the lenses. Sites like DPR and Imaging Resource mention the lenses only in passing when reviewing these cameras.

Scoring on points, the GH2 and G3 would KO the E-P3, but I'm very happy with the Pen. Jono and Brian, hope yours comes sooner than you expect!

Godfrey

LOL! Uh huh, the Wheel Of Magpie Syndrome continues to turn! ;-) (Hey, I'm as susceptible as anyone else.)

I have some interest in the E-PL2, E-P3 and E-PL3 bodies as vehicles to use Leica RF lenses on, it depends on how well the GXR's upcoming M-lens camera unit works. Although what I should do, rather than buying anything else, is just put money away towards acquiring that black M9 body and the lenses I want use on it. But WOMS is hard to defeat ...

Pelao

I don't think the E-P3 is going to get very good reviews from the major sites. There's a lot of emphasis on sensor image quality, and that's a definite weak point for this camera.

For me, the major strength of MFT image quality is the lenses. Sites like DPR and Imaging Resource mention the lenses only in passing when reviewing these cameras.

Scoring on points, the GH2 and G3 would KO the E-P3, but I'm very happy with the Pen. Jono and Brian, hope yours comes sooner than you expect!
Exactly right.

I feel that MFT sensor 'weaknesses' are overstated, and the lenses ignored. It's the overall system that should be considered, but review sites are not set up that way.

I much prefer field reviews by photographers.

Brian Mosley

Sounds fantastic to me. I have one on order, but all they can say is 'sometime in August'.
We shall see - Amin - please give yourself a smart slap for getting yours before I do!
LOL, Jono... Amin would have slapped himself silly by now if he was following that advice - I've already scolded him about that :deadhorse:

Congratulations Amin, you're a lucky man... do you really have to let the GH2 go though? I would have thought the 2 cameras a great match. Lovely photo of your better half too :)

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Thanks, Brian. I can't afford to keep both cameras, unfortunately. Also, I find that I bond better with a camera when it is my one and only. Hopefully the GH2 will bring as much enjoyment to the new owner as it did to me.

LOL, Jono... Amin would have slapped himself silly by now if he was following that advice - I've already scolded him about that :deadhorse:

Congratulations Amin, you're a lucky man... do you really have to let the GH2 go though? I would have thought the 2 cameras a great match. Lovely photo of your better half too :)

Cheers

Brian

hot

MY hierarchic order:

1) camera with viewer
2) camera with viewer
3) camera with viewer
99) camera without viewer (or extra to buy viewer)

DHart

When Oly puts a good EVF into the EP3 and adds an articulating screen, I'll consider getting one! What it loses in sexy form factor, it will more than gain in functionality, versatility, and useability. That's the deal for me and how I like to work. For now, Panny still rules the roost for me (GF1 first foray into m4/3, then added GH2 and now a G3 coming soon).

hot

When Oly puts a good EVF into the EP3 and adds an articulating screen, ..
then it is named LUMIX ...

such things exist ---> conclusio: we don't need Olys with good EVF & articulating screen,

Millsart

I've got the GH2 and the EP3 now (its sort of a loaner) and a EVF and articulating LCD would not make it a GH2

GH2 is a very good hybrid still/video camera. Far outclassing the PEN in that regard.

The PEN though is quite different than the Panny's because of its IBIS and form factor.

If they made a PEN with a built in EVF and kept the RF style body it would still be rather different than the SLR styled G series bodies.

Panny's jpeg's would still be quite different as well.

Similar cameras but often quite different when your shooting with them. The Gh2 is the better overall camera. It does way more, have more features, evf, lcd, video, direct controls, ergonomics with larger glass, and with RAW I think it does have the edge in IQ

However, I really do enjoy the PEN for what it is as well. I tried my 100-300 on it and it was a nightmare (maybe the VF2 would help, dont have it) but with the 14mm f2.5 on it, it handles like a dream and can easily slip into my pocket on my cargo shorts.

Big difference with it and the GH2, and with those faster primes, none of which have IS, the PEN IBIS actually makes a bigger difference than I thought.

I've always been one to say you don't really need it except for long lenses, but given the less than stellar high ISO quality of these cameras, being able to get a sharp handheld shot at a slower shutter speed rather than bumping the ISO a few stops makes a big difference.

I kind of like having it in camera and wish Panny would follow suit.

I really don't think I'll keep both, but sort of want to. I want the Gh2 for video, 7-14, 100-300 and the EVF/LCD for bright sun and tripod work.

EP3 just for its stylish body and handling with a small prime. More of a camera when you want to take just a single lens and head out.

Sadly they both cost $899 so kinda pricey to do that

When Oly puts a good EVF into the EP3 and adds an articulating screen, ..
then it is named LUMIX ...

such things exist ---> conclusio: we don't need Olys with good EVF & articulating screen,