The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3, frustrating "feature"

C

carlweese

Very happy with first look at the G3. However, when you switch the LCD to review recent pictures, the screen is obscured by a set of instructions on how to use it, as though it's the first time you've looked. These instructions block your view of the screen for several seconds, which is incredibly frustrating when what I actually want to do is spend like half a second to glance at the histogram of the last shot.

So far I can't find anywhere, in the manual or the menus, a way to turn this thing off. There must be a way to make it stop, anybody know the answer?

RonSmith

I had the same question. Diane just pointed out to me that you can disable that overlay by going to the 6th page of the custom menu and turn off the TOUCH GUIDE.

clay stewart

Ha ha, thanks, Ron and Diane. I've been putting up with that for months on my GH2 and just turned it off. Thanks again.:banghead:

hot

More and more people can not read - secondary illiteracy.
You will be punished with displays full help text ...

les

About the touch display - a good revelation - thanks.
A catalog of hints like that would be a great boon - 'cos as has been said before, the documenation leaves a bit to be desired. It's like one of these Russian Dolls, there are a lot of layers of secrets to discover.

DHart

Thanks to Diane, I'm going to follow the same step on my GH2. I'm sure the info is in the documentation... just a matter of digging deeply enough for it.

BTW, I find the PDF form of the Owner's Manual to be much easier to use than the paper book as you can do searches and such and can access it on any computer you have at hand. You can download the PDF version of the owner's manual from Panasonic's website and save it to your HDD.

Diane B

I agree about the pdf version. I dled the G3 pdf a week or so before I got the camera and I have mine on my Ipad since its generally with me. Searchable and easier to move from page to page than flipping through them.

DHart

I agree about the pdf version. I dled the G3 pdf a week or so before I got the camera and I have mine on my Ipad since its generally with me. Searchable and easier to move from page to page than flipping through them.
:thumbup:

henningw

All my camera manuals are on my iPhone and iPad. Easier to use and find than the paper ones. The Panasonics have enough things which aren't intuitive that having the manuals handy is a really good idea.

Henning

biglouis

OT but related: on the GH-2 I cannot seem to turn off the feature that allows you to control the position of the focus frame by touch. I tried turning off all the touch features but I still end up accidentally moving the frame - sometimes I suspect when the camera touches my body when it is around my neck. Any ideas?

LouisB

Amin

Ha ha, thanks, Ron and Diane. I've been putting up with that for months on my GH2 and just turned it off. Thanks again.:banghead:
Man, I wish I had realized that. Always found it really annoying on the GH2 (but not annoying enough to make me read the manual :rolleyes:).

M5-Guy

OT but related: on the GH-2 I cannot seem to turn off the feature that allows you to control the position of the focus frame by touch. I tried turning off all the touch features but I still end up accidentally moving the frame - sometimes I suspect when the camera touches my body when it is around my neck. Any ideas?

LouisB
You will have to switch to the EVF mode, or turn LCD in the closed position..

I find, it a bit annoying also, I am used to the Auto Eye Switch from my G1, and if I keep the LCD on as my way of framing and let it hang on my belly, it happens to me also.

One other thing, after you use the touch/af/shoot feature, turn it off by touching the button again. To reset the center AF point, I use the 23 point AF mode, and then when I am back at the normal LCD view, I touch the center, and and switch back to Center AF point mode.. it resets it reasonably well.