The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image from new 12mm 2.0 Oly

leuallen

Got my 12mm 2.0 Oly the other day and this is the first serious image I have taken. Just after sunrise this morning. Using GH2.

Three exposure Enfuse at 5.6 processed in LR. Used the manual focus by sliding the focusing ring back and set the focus using the depth of field scales - 5' to infinity. Very nice.

The first set of images I processed, I screwed up. Had serious chromatic abberations, halos, not sharp, etc. Was disappointed. Tried second set of images and processed correctly this time. Results were MUCH better. I now like this lens!

Colors look very good on my calibrated monitor and it prints very close to what the monitor shows. Conversion from Prophoto to sRGB leaves something to be desired so the colors you see are not that hot.

Larry

Audii-Dudii

I've been using mine all week on my E-P1 and can't foresee swapping it for another lens any time soon, as I'm a wide-angle kinda guy and absolutely love the 24mm FoV...

All of the images below were captured hand-held in monochrome (with the "red filter" digitally applied), processed from RAW to 16-bit .TIF in Olympus' Master 2, and then exported to CS2, where they were post-processed (a bit more heavily than my usual, truth be told, but appropriate to the project I'm working on right now).

As an aside, one thing that's really great about using a very short focal-length lens such as this one with the E-P1's IS, is that if I shoot in bursts of three or four exposures, I can usually manage at least one sharp image from the group despite using shutter speeds as slow as 1/3 to 1/2 second. This is especially great for the low-light photography I'm doing inside the parking garage at the building where I work for my current project.

Needless to say, I'm very favorably impressed by the performance of this lens ... well done, Olympus! Here's hoping the performance of the upcoming 45mm/f1.8 and the as-yet-unannounced 20-25mm/f1.X lenses -- surely Olympus is eventually going to fill the gap between 12mm and 45mm in this new series of lenses? -- perform equally as well! :)

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

No. 4 is worth the lens alone :clap:

Thanks for sharing :)
You're welcome ... and thanks for the kind words! I've done a few comparisons today between my 4/3-format 7-14/f4 zoom set at 12mm and the 12mm/f2 prime and, not surprisingly, the prime has won each one.

Below is another one from yesterday afternoon that I've just processed. I'm surprised how well the 12mm/E-P1 combo is holding up compared to my Contax 645/35mm Distagon/P30+ combo ... if only there existed a 24mm FoV equivalent available for the Contax body, I'd be a happy man indeed.

Pelao

I realize that the 12 is pricey, but if that FOV is important to you, this looks like a worthwhile investment. Thanks for sharing.

Super shot in all respects - sharp, impactful, and great tones! That lens looks like a winner - must restrain myself!!!

Cheers,

Terry

Joe -

Just to be clear on my inventory. I do not have it and haven't ordered it yet.

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Audii-Dudii

Super shot in all respects - sharp, impactful, and great tones! That lens looks like a winner - must restrain myself!!!
It's interesting how assembling a medium-format digital outfit can reset one's beliefs as to what constitutes an expensive piece of gear. A year after making that not inconsiderable outlay, $799 for a lens now strikes me as actually being quite reasonable...:bugeyes: