Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun with the EP3

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with the EP3

Me and my E-P3 (Pana 14 mounted, Ricoh GV-2 on top):

Of course the Oly JPEG colors are nice and natural (PL45):

Can't wait for Lightroom support for the ORF files, though. Meanwhile ISO 3200 isn't so bad for a three year old sensor (PL45):

Anyone else enjoying an E-P3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the EP3

Nice T shirt.

Glad you are having fun with the new toy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pelao .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm. That Ricoh GV-2 has a really low profile. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially on the E-P3, where the hot shoe is a bit more flush with the top as compared with E-P1/2. The other nice thing about the GV-2 is that it has 4:3 aspect ratio brightlines, unlike most of the other 28mm OVFs out there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad you are having fun with it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Terry, I'm looking forward to seeing some others here join the fun .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm guessing you'll have much better NR capabilities with your Lightroom setup Amin, but ISO 3200 certainly looks fine above... are you looking to get the mZD 45mm f1.8?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I'm guessing you'll have much better NR capabilities with your Lightroom setup Amin, but ISO 3200 certainly looks fine above... are you looking to get the mZD 45mm f1.8?
    I'm satisfied with the high ISO performance and general sensor image quality. I'm not sure about the 45/1.8. It's the lens I always wanted for the system, but I got the PL45 in lieu of it and have grown to love that lens. No sure if I want to give up the macro capability for a smaller, lighter lens with an extra 1 1/3 stops of speed, and I don't like having mostly redundant lenses. I'm looking forward to seeing more samples and having a chance to try the new lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How is the PL 45 on the E-P3? any faster to focus than on the GH2? did the GH2 have touch to focus/expose? how about face recognition? does it focus on eyes?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

With all of my lenses (Pana 14/2.5, Pana 20/1.7, PL45), AF speed with E-P3 is not noticeably different than with GH2. In good light the E-P3 may be a hair quicker, while in low light I think the GH2 was unusually good (not only compared to the E-P3 but also compared to the Canon 5D II and the Pentax K-5, both of which I have used quite a bit).

The PL45 focuses quickly and quietly on both E-P3 and GH2, especially with the focus limit switch set to limit. It's really a brilliant lens - sharp, low color fringing (very little bokeh fringing), lovely character, 1:1 macro, fast focusing, compact - it will be a hard one for me to give up.

E-P3 gives you the option to focus on the nearest eye, which is pretty cool. The GH2 had face recognition but not eye recognition. I don't yet have a sense as to whether or how well the E-P3 meters based on detected faces. The GH2 was really good at that.

Touch AF was good with the GH2, but I prefer the light touch implementation with E-P3. I rarely find myself photographing with gloves on and would just as soon use the LCD or EVF/OVF at those times.

It's now officially August, and I expect you and Jono to join the fun in this thread .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm getting there Amin, got my X100 yesterday and had a play with the 12mm f2.0 on the E-P2 (my local store had sold the only E-P3 without informing me it had arrived!)... looking for a 2 lens kit with the 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 - looks like the 45mm prime lens will be in this month also!

In the meantime, I have my hands full with the delightful X100

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the meantime, I have my hands full with the delightful X100

Cheers

Brian
    HI Brian
    I'll be interested to see how long you find it delightful - could be me of course, but I ended up finding it irritating and limiting - even though the IQ and high ISO was good.

@Amin
    Just stop talking about the 45 PL will you - it used to be my favourite lens with the E_P2 last summer . . . . . I guess I'll have to get it back again

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Okay
    My EP3 arrived today - first I thought it was broken as there is an issue with the VF2 clashing with the touchscreen, but now that's sorted I'm a very happy bunny.

The touch shooting is really good fun (and really good too) - it's going to take a bit of time to get used to, but it definitely is NOT a gimmick.

Here are a couple of 'touch snap' shots with the 14-150:

and here two with the lovely (lovely lovely) 12 f2:

Finally, an obligatory wall test with the 12 f2 - shot at f2 - slightly overcooked leaves as all these are from in camera jogs:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Brian
    I'll be interested to see how long you find it delightful - could be me of course, but I ended up finding it irritating and limiting - even though the IQ and high ISO was good.
    Just a bit quirky - I don't have an M9 to compare it with

And yes, the touch to focus/expose combined with fast autofocus/short shutter lag must surely be the game changer for the Pen.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Some nice shots from you guys here. What is the attraction of the EP3 over any Panasonic that has a built-in VF?

I don't get how people can see the LCD well enough in bright sunlight (yes we do have it sometimes) to know what you are shooting at. Maybe it is me and my funny old eyes but I usually can't see anything properly on rear of camera LCDs.

What am I missing here?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

@Amin
    Just stop talking about the 45 PL will you - it used to be my favourite lens with the E_P2 last summer . . . . . I guess I'll have to get it back again
    I'm not Amin. Did I ever tell you how much I like that 45 PL?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The touch shooting is really good fun (and really good too) - it's going to take a bit of time to get used to, but it definitely is NOT a gimmick.
    Congrats on the new camera! I do like the 12mm lens especially the way you move it to manual focus (even if focus is now fast enough to not need to).

As for touch focus and touch shot that's what I've been using with the Panasonics for a while now and I think it works well and has been seriously underrated as a feature. Apparently (according to the reviewers) with slow shutter speeds it can induce some camera shake but I'm just careful in my shutter speeds. I went to the zoo to practice with touch shutter to see how it would work with the 100-300 on my safari and the results shooting that way were very encouraging.

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I suspect the screen on the E-P3 being 'skin sensitive' rather than 'pressure sensitive' will reduce the chances of camera shake.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I suspect the screen on the E-P3 being 'skin sensitive' rather than 'pressure sensitive' will reduce the chances of camera shake.

Cheers

Brian
    I still haven't had a camera shake issue at any shutter speed I was probably being overly cautious based on reviews.

Way too much noise about one being capacitive vs. resistive. it does not take much of a touch to trigger the touch screen on the Panasonics (I think the G3 is better than G2's screen but don't have them side by side). So, little pressure that if you go back to the reviews when the first "touch shoot" camera came out reviewers and users were turning it off because they came home with too many "unwanted" shots. Very little difference in pressure between shooting with my iphone vs. G3.

Either way it is a great feature that purists dismiss but simply works well in many situations.

Where touch shutter works less well is on the old slow focusing lenses. I just got an Oly 14-54 II to have a faster midrange zoom and the less than instant focus is a bit disconcerting with touch shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Some nice shots from you guys here. What is the attraction of the EP3 over any Panasonic that has a built-in VF?
    • It fits in my pocket better.
    • It has IBIS, which is nice to have also with the shorter focal lengths, where even the Panasonic lenses don't have OIS.
    • I don't use the EVF much with a smaller camera like the PEN. I can see pretty fine on the screen on the back. As soon as I use a bigger camera, like my GH2, I don't like shooting with the screen, and use the EVF.
    • Love the classic look.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    • It has IBIS, which is nice to have also with the shorter focal lengths, where even the Panasonic lenses don't have OIS.
    • I don't use the EVF much with a smaller camera like the PEN. I can see pretty fine on the screen on the back. As soon as I use a bigger camera, like my GH2, I don't like shooting with the screen, and use the EVF.
    • Love the classic look.
    +1 on all of this. Added to which, if you want an EVF you just plug it in

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

• Love the classic look.
    +2 on all of this .

Glad you're enjoying the E-P3, Jono. I've got my eye on that Oly 14-150. It's a great little (for a megazoom) lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

• Love the classic look.
    +3 on all of this, and the mZD 14-150 suits the Pen fine Amin

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Today i checked the E-PL3 and to be honest it looked cheap and it felt cheap and me "best of all" wife said: "Sweetheart, that little thingy looks plastic and cheap. Take the other!" Well the other was the E-P3 in shiny silver with 12 mm Lens mounted and VF-2. She said "Looks like Leica M camera" Oh my dear wife you are so clever...... and the E cam has a new companion.

But that little beast is such incredible fast !!!! I am happy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree the E-P3 looks way more sexy, but the E-PL3 is at least as solidly built, and imho more fun to shoot with.

Can't wait to try out the 12mm though! please post some samples soon

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-P3 + mZD 14-150mm f4-5.6
    1/800s f/6.3 at 90.0mm iso200

1/60s f/1.7 at 20.0mm iso400

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Still such a pretty girl. I've enjoyed seeing her as she's grown up.

The top photo is interesting to me besides being a nice photo in itself. The ruins plus the other large stone building and what looks to me like a church and cemetery then with the newer part of the town with the stairs down--I wonder if you can tell a bit more about it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Diane, the top photo is of the 199 steps to Whitby Abbey... it's a very pleasant climb!

Whitby is one of my favourite places in the UK... lovely sunrises and sunsets.

Cheers

Brian

thearne3

Glad to see your E-P3 pics, Brian! Is there a Safari Group chapter in the NY/CT area? Perhaps we can convince you to come over to this side of the pond...

Best,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom, we do have a few members in your area - it's just a case of encouraging a meetup... I would love to get back to the US sometime, but need to get some work first!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Out and about today, getting to grips with the E-P3 for street shooting... this shot was before I switched to centre weighted auto-exposure.

...just about recovered using Lightzone.

E-P3 + Lumix 20mm f1.7
    1/1600s f/3.5 at 20.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 1st September 2011 at 06:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Diane, the top photo is of the 199 steps to Whitby Abbey... it's a very pleasant climb!

Whitby is one of my favourite places in the UK... lovely sunrises and sunsets.

Cheers

Brian
    It's a beautiful shot, Brian. Glad you've got the new Pens in hand!

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent shots with my E-P3 and Pana 14/2.5:

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are rather cool, Amin. Where is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jorgen. The second one is from Boston Public Garden. The rest were from a few days spent at Old Orchard Beach in Maine.