The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A rather convincing experiment

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I shot some motorsports this weekend. After shooting in the rain for 10 consecutive hours on Saturday and most of Sunday starting before 7 in the morning, I was getting tired of hauling 5-6 kilograms of gear around under my raincoat, which was just as wet on the inside as on the outside anyway. So when the rain stopped on Sunday afternoon, I dumped the Nikon gear in the car and picked up the GH1 with the Pana 7-14mm and an OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro. That's around 1 kilogram. To get the same flexibility as with the Nikon gear, I would need to add around 1 kilogram more.

The purpose of the exercise was to see if it is possible to do good pan shots using the EVF of the Panasonic. I tried two different approaches; multiple shots, checking the pan speed as the photos popped up in the viewfinder, and single shots. Both worked, but single shots worked better, partly due to the very responsive shutter release of the camera.

I mostly do four kinds of shots at the races: people, starting grid, head-on telephoto work and pans. Below are examples of 1, 2 and 4. I'm buying a GH2 next week. Some of my Nikon gear is up for sale.

Another approach for pan shots would be an external optical viewfinder. I'll try that next time around. Please excuse the colours. The Panasonic jpegs suck and the photos are edited on an uncalibrated monitor.

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro

GH1 with Pana 7-14mm @ 9mm and f/5.6

GH1 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro @ 1/80s

Terry

If you are using image stabilization on the GH2 and panning, switch to mode 3. The camera then knows not to try and correct for the panning motion and only the vertical jitter. Sorry if you already know this but it did come up as a conversation on a different forum over the weekend.

edit- reread my comment a bit later and a bit more wide awake.....they all look good and my comment wasn't meant to be negative in any way. Just trying to be helpful if you hadn't read the fine print of the manual.

Last edited:

pellicle

I shot some motorsports this weekend.

The purpose of the exercise was to see if it is possible to do good pan shots using the EVF of the Panasonic. I tried two different approaches; multiple shots, checking the pan speed as the photos popped up in the viewfinder, and single shots. Both worked, but single shots worked better, partly due to the very responsive shutter release of the camera.

I mostly do four kinds of shots at the races: people, starting grid, head-on telephoto work and pans. Below are examples of 1, 2 and 4. I'm buying a GH2 next week. Some of my Nikon gear is up for sale.

Another approach for pan shots would be an external optical viewfinder. I'll try that next time around. Please excuse the colours. The Panasonic jpegs suck and the photos are edited on an uncalibrated monitor.
nice work and thanks for the feedback.

f6cvalkyrie

Very nice work, Jorgen !

I'll work on a homemade optical viewfinder during my holidays that start next Thursday !

C u,
Rafael

MRfanny

If you are using image stabilization on the GH2 and panning, switch to mode 3. The camera then knows not to try and correct for the panning motion and only the vertical jitter. Sorry if you already know this but it did come up as a conversation on a different forum over the weekend.

edit- reread my comment a bit later and a bit more wide awake.....they all look good and my comment wasn't meant to be negative in any way. Just trying to be helpful if you hadn't read the fine print of the manual.
these modes only work with lumix lenses correct? they wont work with manual lenses yeah?

here are some shots i shot earlier this year at the top gear show. excuse the heavy grading. gh1 with kit 14-140 lens i think, that or the contax zeiss 85mm...i can't remember now..lol

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for your feedback, all of you. I've now calibrated my monitor, and see that the reds and yellows are rather off.

Terry,
I'll remember that if I ever buy a stabilised lens. So far, there's always been some old, manual focus lens that seem to get higher on the list. My pusher just told me that he has the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 in stock. Need I say more? :)

Rafael,
Are you planning to sell viewfinders as well? Those available are mostly in typical rangefinder focal lengths (and the long lengths, like 90 and 135mm are mostly discontinued). I'm looking primarily for 100 and 200mm eqv.

MRfanny,
Cool shots, particularly the first one.

biglouis

Jorgen

Very impressive work. I can't think of a better place for a GH-2 than in your hands! I can't recall if you own the 100-300 but that is a must-have lens with the GH-2.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot, Louis.

Some unexpected costs came up (trip to Sapa, Vietnam next week) (Oh, and rent and electricity. "This month too?" I asked them. "Yes, this month and every month!" they replied, staring at my wallet with cold, black eyes.), so I have to postpone the GH2 until I'm back or longer. The 100-300 is on the list as well, but the list is crowded, very, very crowded. And the pusher doesn't want to sell my Nikon gear. "Too worn", he says. How can he say that? It works. I have proof too :confused:

I could sell the Zeiss lenses of course, but one doesn't sell Zeiss lenses, does one? I believe that's against one of the commandments; "Thou Shalt Not Sell Perfectly Good Zeiss Lenses."

Orsomething

f6cvalkyrie

Rafael,
Are you planning to sell viewfinders as well? Those available are mostly in typical rangefinder focal lengths (and the long lengths, like 90 and 135mm are mostly discontinued). I'm looking primarily for 100 and 200mm eqv.
I have no intention to make something that would be worth selling, Jorgen.
My sports viewfinder is going to be very very basic, something that will help me keep the subject on one place while I'm panning !

have a nice day,
Rafael