The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

will the oly epl2 do the trick

P

perryg

I have a project to photograph medium size pictures for a text book about sustainable Hospital architecture in Europe. The text will not require high end work but 300 dpi is necessary. Wondering if a 4/3rd camera will do and if so can you suggest some lenses. Interiors and exteriors shots.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Any m4/3 camera will do the trick. If it was me, I would choose one with an articulated LCD (like the G3 or GH2), in case you want low, high or other tricky shooting angles.

You will need a wide lens. The Panasonic 7-14mm is ideal, but expensive. For me, the Olympus 12mm would be the alternative, but maybe not wide enough always. The Olympus 9-18mm is good too, and cheaper than the Panasonic.

For normal zoom, my choice would be the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II. It's a 4/3 lens, so you would need an adapter, but it will AF on all m4/3 camera. It doesn't have IS on Panasonic bodies though. The second alternative is the Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6. It's a stop slower than the Olympus, a little bit less sharp and has built in OIS. It's also considerably cheaper, particularly if you consider that you don't need an adapter.

For architecture, a telephoto lens isn't always necessary, but nice to have sometimes. The Panasonic 100-300mm is the king of the m4/3 territory so far, but it's rather long at 200-600mm eqv. The alternatives from Olympus and Panasonic are ok too, and smaller, shorter and cheaper. Maybe that's good enough for the odd telephoto shot. In that case, I would choose a Panasonic lens for Panasonic camera and Olympus for Olympus to get IS, which is more important for the longer lenses.

Just my 2c :)

P

perryg

in the end I got the NEX5 kit with the additional extra wide angle lens.
I plan to shoot in raw. Any opinions about the image data converter that comes with it on the enclosed CD? Would I be better off using photoshop? I already have the elements program. Sure wish I had the 18-200 but not with my present budget.