The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 came -- Just not sure -- ergonomics

greypilgrim

I haven't even charged the battery yet. It seems like the buttons are in the wrong places for my hands. AE/AF on the Display button doesn't work; perhaps not a huge deal for that one. The Quick Menu button is awkward down below.

Trying to talk myself into it, but....

I am a big fan of getting the ergonomics right as part of choosing a camera.

Grrrrr. Decisions...

Doug

Terry

How will you be shooting all from EVF? What are your most used functions? I have very little that I need to get to on the quick menu.

Also, if you use the LCD, you don't need AE/AF lock as much because of touch focus.

greypilgrim

How will you be shooting all from EVF? What are your most used functions? I have very little that I need to get to on the quick menu.

Also, if you use the LCD, you don't need AE/AF lock as much because of touch focus.
I am about an 80/20 EVF/LCD user. I absolutely love having the LCD for tough angle shots, but otherwise I use the EVF. This means I like to have the controls to hand so I do not have to take my eye away from the EVF to change settings.

The Quick Menu does quite well combined with the command wheel; I've come to use it a fair bit on my current cameras, but having it down on the bottom on the G3 seems awkward.

I switch metering mode, AF mode, ISO using the Quick Menu although I also use the ISO button for that equally as often.

I also use the mode switch on top to switch between timer/bracketing/continuous/single.

The display button as a replacement for AE/AF is also really awkwardly placed and not raised. I do not use the AE/AF button that much, though.

I use the display button a fair bit in playback mode, but I am assuming it still behaves as the display button when in playback even if you have reassigned it.

Doug

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I put 'Select AF/MF' on the Qmenu/Fn2 button. I put 'AF' on the DISP/Fn1 button. The half press of the shutter button meters for me.
I was having trouble feeling the Fn1 button, so I cut 2 layers of gaffers tape and made a spot for over the button. It has really helped. I have ordered some 5mm dots which I'm hoping will work even better. If they don't work, the gaffers tape will suffice. Besides, I don't use AF too often, so it is not a deal breaker. I liked the ergonomics of the G2 a little better, but I like the IQ of the G3 better...so I will adjust.

Terry

Timer bracketing etc is on the bottom of the four way now.

Dipslay works as display should when in playback even if reassigned for shooting.

EVF will auto switch to LCD if you set Play on LCD to on in the menu. to get out of playback and start using EVF again tap shutter.

I've got the Quick menu set for my favorite 5 things right in a row and fast to get to.

greypilgrim

Timer bracketing etc is on the bottom of the four way now.

Dipslay works as display should when in playback even if reassigned for shooting.

EVF will auto switch to LCD if you set Play on LCD to on in the menu. to get out of playback and start using EVF again tap shutter.

I've got the Quick menu set for my favorite 5 things right in a row and fast to get to.
But you cannot get to the Quick Menu via a button with your settings, correct? You have to go to the touchscreen?

Thanks,

Doug

greypilgrim

I liked the ergonomics of the G2 a little better, but I like the IQ of the G3 better...so I will adjust.
That is why I posted this.

I would like the IQ, and the faster AF, and that is why I bought the G3 without handling it first, but now the ergonomics are worrying me.

I guess I need to ask myself if I would have bought it after having handled it in a store first.

Doug

Terry

But you cannot get to the Quick Menu via a button with your settings, correct? You have to go to the touchscreen?

Thanks,

Doug
I didn't change quick menu.

four way controller
top ISO
left Focus (face-detect/single etc)
right WB
bottom bracket/burst/self timer

pellicle

I would like the IQ, and the faster AF, and that is why I bought the G3 without handling it first, but now the ergonomics are worrying me.

I guess I need to ask myself if I would have bought it after having handled it in a store first.

Doug
interesting post Doug. I use the qmenu button quite a bit. Ever since my Pentax MX I liked seeing everything I needed through the viewfinder. But when cameras got more complex (like my EOS) I needed to refer to the top for some changes (like mode) which I don't mind. Perhaps its just that?

I still find myself looking at the back for adjustment of some things on my GH1. I'll be interested to see how you go, but I advise don't jump ship just yet, igve it a little while

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Try putting a dot on the button. It really helps. Give it some time, I really like the camera now that I've used it a while.

Doug

Millsart

Well simply solution is to try a GH2 if you feel the ergonomics don't work for you.

Both are very good cameras, and both have their fans.

I personally hated the G3's feel in hand, but the images and everything else was very nice.

I don't do movies or anything so spending $300 extra for a GH2 maybe is a little silly, as a $599 G3 takes images just as nice as $899 GH2, but I'd rather have spent more money on a camera want to use rather than $600 on one thats going to just sit and gather dust because it feels uncomfortable in my hand.

The lack of grip just didn't work for me. I know I'm in the minority and many don't have a problem with it, but I also know I'm not the only one.

Simple solution is to get your hands on a GH2 or even an older G series and see if you find it that much better.

If you do, well, then either pay the extra money or see if you can live with the G3

No choice is right or wrong, but knowing is rather priceless.

Maybe you will find the Gh2 is not any better for you and you can happily go back to the G3 (or somethign else all together)

As it sounds now, your probably just going to always be wondering if you should of got something else and that can certainly eat at you, taking the fun away from shooting because all your going to be thinking about is the ergonomics over and over.

Been there, done that.

Knowing is half the battle

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I haven't even charged the battery yet. It seems like the buttons are in the wrong places for my hands. AE/AF on the Display button doesn't work; perhaps not a huge deal for that one. The Quick Menu button is awkward down below.

Grrrrr. Decisions...

Doug
It would be so easy - just sell it and get an EP3 :D

Diane B

Interesting but due to individuality I guess. I shot all day yesterday with G3 and find it just right for handling. (I do have a G1 and GF1). I've set up my Fn buttons to suit with preview on Fn 1. I really only use that for MF lenses occasionally and display is on screen--don't use that much either. I use AEL a lot so have put it on Fn2 bottom and its much more ergonomically pleasing than on G1 on top row. I have my Q menu pared down to essentials and found it not difficult to use on screen in bright Southern light. I keep my LCD turned in except for occasional use of Q menu or display and for review just turn it out and its displayed.

I carried the camera on my Y strap with the small and very flexible Lowepro Terra clime underneath with 2 more lenses and for a whole day found this to be a lovely way to shoot. Hardly knew I was carrying anything and when I did, after 3 weeks, the camera felt quite right to me, buttons that I use often are on the 4 way or the Fn buttons, my custom is set up for 3 ways I like to shoot, grip felt good in hand so I'm happy.

Diane

Steve Fines

I was having trouble feeling the Fn1 button, so I cut 2 layers of gaffers tape and made a spot for over the button. It has really helped. I have ordered some 5mm dots which I'm hoping will work even better. If they don't work, the gaffers tape will suffice.
What a great idea - thanks very much for posting this. Several times now I've been looking through the evf and I need to focus quickly and so I just start my thumb pressing on the back of the camera figuring I'll hit the button. Some type of tape or textured dot will fix this.

Brian Mosley

Grrrrr. Decisions...

Doug
Me too Doug - I always try a camera in the hand before purchase these days... saves a lot of grief :)

Cheers

Brian

greypilgrim

Well simply solution is to try a GH2 if you feel the ergonomics don't work for you.

Both are very good cameras, and both have their fans.

I personally hated the G3's feel in hand, but the images and everything else was very nice.

I don't do movies or anything so spending $300 extra for a GH2 maybe is a little silly, as a $599 G3 takes images just as nice as $899 GH2, but I'd rather have spent more money on a camera want to use rather than $600 on one thats going to just sit and gather dust because it feels uncomfortable in my hand.

The lack of grip just didn't work for me. I know I'm in the minority and many don't have a problem with it, but I also know I'm not the only one.

Simple solution is to get your hands on a GH2 or even an older G series and see if you find it that much better.

If you do, well, then either pay the extra money or see if you can live with the G3

No choice is right or wrong, but knowing is rather priceless.

Maybe you will find the Gh2 is not any better for you and you can happily go back to the G3 (or somethign else all together)

As it sounds now, your probably just going to always be wondering if you should of got something else and that can certainly eat at you, taking the fun away from shooting because all your going to be thinking about is the ergonomics over and over.

Been there, done that.

Knowing is half the battle
Sorry, I should have been clear. I have been on the M4/3 bandwagon since the G1. I have a G1 converted to IR, a G2 which got purloined by my wife (which led me to ordering the G3 sooner than I would have :), and a GH1 I picked up on the cheap. I know the G1/G2 form factor works for me. Not sure I want to spend the extra for the GH2 given that I have the GH1 (yes, I know the advantages of AF speed, greater resolution, not sure the IQ is that much better than the GH1, but possibly IQ).

Doug

greypilgrim

It would be so easy - just sell it and get an EP3 :D
Heh, don't think that hasn't occurred to me. I've been with Panny since the G1, and I am used to their menu system (such as it is).

I really like the flip out screen, Not sure the VF-2's ability to go vertical would make up for that enough. I am primarily a viewfinder person, so possibly an okay compromise.

Of course, the EP3's IQ is supposedly pretty comparable to the G2, so no G3'esque improvement there, but no loss.

Doug