Site Sponsors

Thread: 4/3 cameras with Leica lenses

Post Thanks / Like

4/3 cameras with Leica lenses

Any suggestions for the best 4/3 camera to use with adaptor and Leica M lenses? I have to believe that the quality has got to be better with the Leica glass that I already own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 4/3 cameras with Leica lenses

The Sony Nex 5N would probably be top of my list to use with Leica lenses, or perhaps the Ricoh with Leica M module. Maybe the Sony Nex 7 would also be worth a look.

If you really want to go with a 4/3rds sensor cam, I'd recommend the E-PL3 which has a tilting LCD for waist level shooting as well as in-body-image-stabilisation.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using my Leica lenses with a pair of G3's and a G1. I am hoping that the NEX7 will be a winner because I would prefer a 1.5x crop with my lenses. I have had a NEX5, but just do not care for the experience of focusing Leica glass on an LCD. In the meantime, I am very satisfied with my G3's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 5N has the port for Sony's high res EVF - with focus peaking and (according to tests I saw by Amin Sebet) arguably better sensor this is still looking good.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eshotwell View Post
    Any suggestions for the best 4/3 camera to use with adaptor and Leica M lenses? I have to believe that the quality has got to be better with the Leica glass that I already own.
    You might consider the Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount and its VF-2 accessory viewfinder if your intent is to use your Leica M lenses exclusively. This GXR camera unit was designed specifically for M-bayonet (and by adaptation, LTM) RF camera lenses. See the discussions and photos posted in the "Other Cameras" forum on this site ... most of them have "Ricoh GXR" in the title, they're easy to find.

This Ricoh GXR camera unit is just now arriving at retailers for delivery, but evaluation units have been available for a couple of weeks. I had the pleasure of testing one that Uwe Steinmueller had ... It is truly an excellent performer and works brilliantly with both my and his M-bayonet and other lenses (via adapters).

I had a Panasonic G1 for two years and used it with a lot of adapted manual lenses, and was pleased with the results. But from what I see in my quickie test exposures, the GXR out-performs it by a good margin.

My A12 Camera Mount is due to ship to me tomorrow ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Godfrey, that makes sense... What sensor does the Ricoh use? What crop factor do you get, and how would you say it compared with that of the Sony Nex 5N towards high iso?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Leitz Summaron 35mm F3.5 (LTM)