The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Viewfinder blackout, Panny G1 vs. GH2/G3

Peter Klein

I have the autoreview turned off on my G1. The G1's electronic viewfinder blackout as the shot takes place is annoying. With flash, the shutter delay and blackout is excruciating.

In the newer models, has Panasonic improved the time that the viewfinder blacks out during a shot? I'm talking about single shots, not burst mode.

Last edited:

pjphoto59

I am new to the Panny, having bought a G2 back in July, so I do not have much experience with it yet.

So I just tried shooting with the on camera flash in a fairly dark room.

Review, like yours turned off. Exposure shown as 1/60 at f5.6 ISO 100. Black out time on the EVF almost nothing.

I hope this answers your question...

PeterJ

pellicle

I have the autoreview turned off on my G1. The G1's electronic viewfinder blackout as the shot takes place is annoying. With flash, the shutter delay and blackout is excruciating.
define excruciating?

mine (GH1) is blacked out only for the duration of the mechanical operation of the shutter ... flash or no flash

In the newer models, has Panasonic improved the time that the viewfinder blacks out during a shot? I'm talking about single shots, not burst mode.
I'm expecting no, because the shutter sort of operates twice. The sensor is retasked and reset for exposure then back again.

http://youtu.be/-dK6Qa1Iy4Y

I used to find SLR mirror flopping annoying (coming from range finders) I used to have an EOS RT (gosh I regret selling that) with a pellicle mirror.

if you need less 'blackout' then SLR will be the way to go. I understand they are working on pellicle mirror types again now.

RonSmith

I used to find SLR mirror flopping annoying (coming from range finders) I used to have an EOS RT (gosh I regret selling that) with a pellicle mirror.

if you need less 'blackout' then SLR will be the way to go. I understand they are working on pellicle mirror types again now.

I think you just like saying "pellicle."

Peter Klein

Thanks, all! I figured out part of my issue--I had "review" off but I had somehow turned "zoom" back on and didn't realize it. The flash delay seems to happen as the camera is figuring out the flash exposure. That takes about a half second--noticeably longer than a non-flash shot. I think it takes longer to figure out a fill flash exposure than a simple flash shot in a dark room.

And "pellicle" is a good word. Rolls off the tongue in a most satisfying way...

pellicle

That takes about a half second--noticeably longer than a non-flash shot. I think it takes longer to figure out a fill flash exposure than a simple flash shot in a dark room.
not related to the shutter time for the ambient exposure value is it?

Peter Klein

I'm relying on my memory here. Tonight I took a couple of test flash shots in my den, and they were very quick. But when I was on a hike a couple of weeks ago, I remember the flash seeming to take forever to go off when I used it for fill in a contrasty situation in the woods.

RichA

Thanks, all! I figured out part of my issue--I had "review" off but I had somehow turned "zoom" back on and didn't realize it. The flash delay seems to happen as the camera is figuring out the flash exposure. That takes about a half second--noticeably longer than a non-flash shot. I think it takes longer to figure out a fill flash exposure than a simple flash shot in a dark room.

And "pellicle" is a good word. Rolls off the tongue in a most satisfying way...
I prefer the term, "ersatz neutral density filter" to pellicle.

kds315

"ersatz" - means replacement in German. Did you damage yours - happens easily as it is just a few microns thick (but I guess this wasn't it ;) )