Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 63 of 63

Thread: 45 f1.8 arrived

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Terry,

    What camera are you using the 45mm/f1.8 on?

    BTW, really enjoying the G3. Nice call.

    JT

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    G3 is my only m4/3 camera body right now....waiting for the elusive GF-pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Terry,

    What camera are you using the 45mm/f1.8 on?

    BTW, really enjoying the G3. Nice call.

    JT

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    G3 is my only m4/3 camera body right now....waiting for the elusive GF-pro
    Awesome- I'm busy selling off a ton of gear to afford the NEX-7, will have enough left over to try the Oly 45mm/f1.8 . I don't have a decent AF m4/3 portrait lens at present.

    JT

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Awesome- I'm busy selling off a ton of gear to afford the NEX-7, will have enough left over to try the Oly 45mm/f1.8 . I don't have a decent AF m4/3 portrait lens at present.

    JT
    Oh, I did that too. ....sold GH2, G3 (I had two), 100-300 (I had two) X100, NEX 5 up for sale now.

    Replaced with 45 and Sony 18-200. Waiting for 25 and 14-42x, NEX 7 and Sony 30 macro.

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I am unaware of any modern non-3rd party lens designed as a short telephoto (excludes the normal lenses which are being used as short teles on APS-C) which is less expensive than this one, despite the fact that many of them have simpler designs and need stopping down to be sharp.
    for example Sigma 50/1.4 on Sigma's own cameras (so it is not a 3rd party lens in this case and as Sigma itself has no FF cameras it is a short tele there on purpose) - modern, short telephoto, less expensive.

    Sony 50 f1.8 SAM DT - - modern, short telephoto (it was clearly designed for Sony APS-C cameras, not for A850/A900), less expensive (USD $150).

  6. #56
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    This lens rocks! Have it since today mounted on my EP3 and this little marvel just delivers! I did not do any scientific comparisons, but from what I have seen so far it is pretty much on par IQ wise with a M 2/90 ASPH, which I also own.

    There are some IQ differences, but these are so minimal IMHO, that the at least 12x more expensive M lens just cannot be argued for

    Really like it!

  7. #57
    Member Hauxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Mine has arrived from Tokyo (to Iceland). And the lens is tiny! It's smaller than I had imagined.











    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

  8. #58
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Hauxon View Post
    Mine has arrived from Tokyo (to Iceland). And the lens is tiny! It's smaller than I had imagined.




    Great pics! Did it come with the lens hood?

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    just to confirm this is focus by wire correct? how is the feel? I'm not a fan of the focus by wire on the panny lenses, one too many turns for my liking, especially for video.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post
    for example Sigma 50/1.4 on Sigma's own cameras (so it is not a 3rd party lens in this case and as Sigma itself has no FF cameras it is a short tele there on purpose) - modern, short telephoto, less expensive.

    Sony 50 f1.8 SAM DT - - modern, short telephoto (it was clearly designed for Sony APS-C cameras, not for A850/A900), less expensive (USD $150).
    The Sigma is designed to cover 35mm format (on Canon and Nikon bodies) and happens to act as a short tele on the Sigma cameras. It also costs more than the Olympus lens (both wrt MSRP and typical street price).

    The Sony lens is designed like the Canon and Nikon cheap normal lenses with 6 elements in 5 groups, is no smaller than those lenses, and has very cheap construction. They are selling it as an APS-C short tele, but it isn't designed like other short teles. It also has weaker performance compared to the Olympus.

  11. #61
    Member Hauxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    I did buy the hood seperately for whooping 3054 yens. I'd say it's money not well spent, it's just a small piece of plastic. I just felt the lens would not be complete without it. It's also kind of flimsy how you attach it. The lens has a plasic silver ring in the front to hide the bayonet and make the lens look nicer. Yon need to remove it before attaching the shade. I'm afraid I will loose it.

    The lens is focus by wire but it's silky smooth, the best on a FBW lens i've tried. It somehow feels as if you're moving something. From reviews I've read it's got the same smoothness as the 12/2 lens.

    Hrannar
    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Hauxon View Post
    I did buy the hood seperately for whooping 3054 yens. I'd say it's money not well spent, it's just a small piece of plastic. I just felt the lens would not be complete without it. It's also kind of flimsy how you attach it. The lens has a plasic silver ring in the front to hide the bayonet and make the lens look nicer. Yon need to remove it before attaching the shade. I'm afraid I will loose it.

    The lens is focus by wire but it's silky smooth, the best on a FBW lens i've tried. It somehow feels as if you're moving something. From reviews I've read it's got the same smoothness as the 12/2 lens.

    Hrannar
    That's where I started this thread. Mine arrived with the little plastic bit very loose and not snapped. Not a design decision I would have made. But the focus by wire and lens performance doesn't disappoint.

  13. #63
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

    Thanks for the info on the lens hood, I'm going to order a 3rd party one with a cap.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •