Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 45 f1.8 arrived

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

45 f1.8 arrived

Nice lens but two really annoying things.....

Oly still refuses to include lens hoods with their lenses....but they do include a silly little decoration ring that hides the bayonet for the hood.

Should be interesting to find the right sized hood. ......

By the way "decoration ring" is what Oly calls it on their website.

On the plus side the focus ring is silky smooth.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 45 f1.8 arrived

Congrats! I've only seen great results from that lens. I've gone a different way for portrait lens on m4/3, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in 4/3 mount. It looks a bit silly with that huge, circular panorama window attached to the GH1, but the lens hood was included

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Should be interesting to find the right sized hood. ......
    Hi Terry,

Is it a 37mm filter size?

Maybe this one will fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Lens_Hood.html

Look forward to seeing some photos with this lens.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for mine. Lens hood already arrived ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That lens hood might work. I also got a 37mm ND filter for it so I need to figure out if I get a 37mm hood or the Oly bayonet. I don't see the Oly OEM one on the site.

Post Thanks / Like

That lens hood might work. I also got a 37mm ND filter for it so I need to figure out if I get a 37mm hood or the Oly bayonet. I don't see the Oly OEM one on the site.
    Terry,
    this is from the Olympus Italian web site.

http://www.olympus.it/consumer/21693...-40b_24722.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures! I'm still deciding whether I want to buy this one or not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry
    I didn't know it was shipping - congratulations.

t think lens hoods are over-rated, actually, especially on zooms. But I've always felt that if you are using an LCD/EVF, the one's hand is a much better lens hood - you can direct it carefully, and with respect to the actual direction of the sun.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I knew there wasn't a hood but it is annoying that they spend time on designing and manufacturing a plastic ring that hides the bayonet.

I have a 37mm 2 stop ND to give me some more latitude shooting more open out of doors 37mm is really tiny LOL.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I knew there wasn't a hood but it is annoying that they spend time on designing and manufacturing a plastic ring that hides the bayonet.

I have a 37mm 2 stop ND to give me some more latitude shooting more open out of doors 37mm is really tiny LOL.
    It's rather sweet isn't it - some of the Leica lenses are 39mm

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 45mm f/1.8 looks nice! That's a great focal length and speed for Micro-FourThirds.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... think lens hoods are over-rated, actually, especially on zooms. But I've always felt that if you are using an LCD/EVF, the one's hand is a much better lens hood - you can direct it carefully, and with respect to the actual direction of the sun. ...
    A rigid lens hood helps to protect the front of the lens and often reduces overall flare as well. Shading the lens with your hand or hat helps in more extreme situations as a supplement to the standard use of a good hood. They're clumsy, bulky, get in the way, and often expensive. But I wouldn't be without good, deep lens hoods on my lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    They're clumsy, bulky, get in the way, and often expensive.
    Hi Godfrey - are you talking about my hands

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Godfrey - are you talking about my hands
    Of course he is
    Didn't know that they were expensive though

Post Thanks / Like

So, how does it compare to the Panasonic Leica 45mm f2.8? I realize the Panny is a macro, and a bit slower. But for anyone who has used both, what are your impressions. I really like the Panasonic and always have it in my bag for more than macro.

thearne3

I just got this lens as well. As a temporary measure, got an inexpensive hood on ebay - about 2cm deep and less than $10. Here is a shot taken with my iphone (lousy light, sorry!):

Didn't have a good subject so I did a handheld self portrait - pretty much at close focus minimum - f2.5:

The Oly macro adapter also works with this lens; again, close focus:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Of course he is
    Didn't know that they were expensive though
    Oh, just try buying replacements some time ... ! ]'-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The results look very nice!
    The Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8 is a wonderful lens, I expect this 45/1.8 is too. I guess it boils down to which one works better for your uses ... 1:1 macro and OIS for those cameras without in body IS, or a stop and a third more speed. It's a win-win situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The results look very nice!
    The Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8 is a wonderful lens, I expect this 45/1.8 is too. I guess it boils down to which one works better for your uses ... 1:1 macro and OIS for those cameras without in body IS, or a stop and a third more speed. It's a win-win situation.
    I can see the virtue in owning both. The 45/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens. Never fails to deliver sharp and beautifully coloured results. However, I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I can see the virtue in owning both. The 45/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens. Never fails to deliver sharp and beautifully coloured results. However, I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.

LouisB
    I can see someone owning both as well. That extra 1.3 stops can be very useful for both keeping the ISO lower, and a better portrait background. The price on the Oly 45 isn't too bad either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.
    would love to see this side by side with an OM 50 f1.8 as a comparison. I love my OM 50 and wonder if in portrait work the AF would be an issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    would love to see this side by side with an OM 50 f1.8 as a comparison. I love my OM 50 and wonder if in portrait work the AF would be an issue?
    Not only does AF work great, but you've got the options to not only have face detect AF, but actually select which eye is in focus (which even with the lesser amount of DoF m4/3 gives still can make a difference)

Likewise, with the newer models with touch screens, you can simply touch the point o the display to select focus and move it around at will in the frame without having to recompose

Nothing wrong with a OM 50mm, but the ultra compact size and feather weight, in addition to a beautiful rendering, all on top of AF and a mere $400 price tag make it pretty tough to justify messing with a legacy lens and adapter when that native glass is getting this good

Post Thanks / Like

If I was going micro four thirds, I would buy the two new Olympus lenses and call it done. Maybe add the Panny-Leica F1.4 and use that for pretty much everything. Those three lenses are good, avoid the s*ck of the initial lenses I saw in micro four thirds, are well built and it's virtually all the focal lengths I need.

I would even dare shoot a wedding with those primes (would need two cameras).

The cameras to me need to change (the pens, for a wedding). I really want to see what Olympus chooses as their "next gen" sensor.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    Not only does AF work great, but you've got the options to not only have face detect AF, but actually select which eye is in focus (which even with the lesser amount of DoF m4/3 gives still can make a difference)

Likewise, with the newer models with touch screens, you can simply touch the point o the display to select focus and move it around at will in the frame without having to recompose
    good points

and a mere $400 price tag make it pretty tough to justify messing with a legacy lens and adapter when that native glass is getting this good

meer? well I don't know about that part, its about the same price as a Canon EF100 f2.8 which will give you a shallower DoF rendering on a FF camera and signicantly more than a 50mm which gives very similar Angle of View and DoF on a APS camera ... personally I wish we'd see some of that promise of cheaper lenses in the Micro 4/3 than we do. After all a 45mm lens is not hard to design, expecially one which covers a smaller area than it does on 35mm ...

but I agree that its good to encourage sales of native lenses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

good points

meer? well I don't know about that part, its about the same price as a Canon EF100 f2.8 which will give you a shallower DoF rendering on a FF camera and signicantly more than a 50mm which gives very similar Angle of View and DoF on a APS camera ... personally I wish we'd see some of that promise of cheaper lenses in the Micro 4/3 than we do. After all a 45mm lens is not hard to design, expecially one which covers a smaller area than it does on 35mm ...

Sorry for pointing this out, but I think that is the weirdest comparison I've seen in many hours. To start with, the Canon lens is around 40% more expensive than the Zuiko. Then, it weighs 40% more than the 45mm and the E-PL3 combined, the latter including IS, which the cheap version of the Canon lens doesn't offer. Now, add a 5DII to the equation

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for pointing this out, but I think that is the weirdest comparison I've seen in many hours. To start with, the Canon lens is around 40% more expensive than the Zuiko. Then, it weighs 40% more than the 45mm and the E-PL3 combined, the latter including IS, which the cheap version of the Canon lens doesn't offer. Now, add a 5DII to the equation
    Not a really fair comparison, as the Canon equipment will deliver much more outstanding results.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy's where did you order your 45/1.8 from?
    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Precision Camera in Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got mine from a brick and mortar camera store in Honolulu....and in spite of agreeing with Jono in principle, I ordered the hood from Shueido Camera in Tokyo.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Sure the EF100 is a good lens, as is the 85mm f1.8 and especially the 135mm f2, however, once we introduce a FF camera into the equation we are talking about a pretty big investment in the body, in addition to the size and weight of the system.

45mm f1.8 weights just a few ounces and can be easily carried in a pocket without even knowing its in there. Just a bit apples to oranges really.

Coming from a Leica M9 system, I personally find $400 for a 90mm equiv to be a great value, as my Elmarit M f2.8 cost me about $1500.

Not that $400 is chump change, but in the realm of camera lenses, especially in the enthusiast market and in regards to less than the mainstream systems, its an outright steal IMHO.

good points

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Sorry for pointing this out, but I think that is the weirdest comparison I've seen in many hours.
    well from my persepctive the comparison was (as I stated) on the price for the same angle of view. It was a reaction to the "meer" tag of the price and my feeling that many people appear to have too much money. I'm not sure why you are unclear on that but when comparing lenses I feel its critical to compare them in terms of field of view as well as f-stop.

do you not see that? If not can you explain why that comparison is invalid?

Its like people saying how much of a steal the 20mm f1.7 is ... cos its a 20mm and a 20mm (made for full frame) normally costs so much more.

now THAT is an invalid comparison if you ask me.

To start with, the Canon lens is around 40% more expensive than the Zuiko.
    BhPhoto shows the EF100 as $464 and the Oly as $399

I make that 16% extra for the EF

Then, it weighs 40% more than the 45mm and the E-PL3 combined,
    the latter including IS,
    well sure, but I don't recall saying anything about it not being light ... or are you just wanting to find more things to justify why you don't like my justification for why I don't think its bloody cheap.

which the cheap version of the Canon lens doesn't offer. Now, add a 5DII to the equation
    sure ... I agree, have you read my blog post where I compare G1 to 5D and call it bambi vs godzilla?

still doesn't make the lens cheap even if in general the m4/3 system remains more attractive.

so now its me ing

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Sure the EF100 is a good lens, as is the 85mm f1.8 and especially the 135mm f2,
    Not that $400 is chump change,
    my point exactly

but in the realm of camera lenses, especially in the enthusiast market and in regards to less than the mainstream systems, its an outright steal IMHO.
    I disagree, but I perhaps think that people talk themselves into spending more and companies are happy to oblige with prices. I think its only a wee bit cheaper than the Pentax pancake series of lenses for their digital cameras

however, once we introduce a FF camera into the equation we are talking about a pretty big investment in the body, in addition to the size and weight of the system.
    which was not the point I took issue with. Heck we may as well start talking about any other tangential point in defence.

Coming from a Leica M9 system, I personally find $400 for a 90mm equiv to be a great value, as my Elmarit M f2.8 cost me about $1500.
    this point seems hard to grasp for people who are only used to a single format. If I get a 90mm for my LF 4x5 camera it will cost about $900 but if I go for one which will cover 8x10 it will cost a LOT more ... if I only use it on the smaller format (the 4x5 ) then I'll be missing out on some aspects of the lens. Just as using the Elmarit M on the 4/3 you are missing out on some of the aspects of what it was designed for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

That's not the price for the 100mm f/2.8 that you mentioned in your mail, but the 100mm f/2.0, a lens that was introduced in 1991. Do you think that lens would have been as cheap if it had been developed and introduced today, 20 years later? The more recently introduced 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS lists at $979 from the same source.

I would love to see lower lens prices too, but development costs are rising like everything else, and making a lens smaller doesn't always make it cheaper. Nikon's 24mm f/1.4 lists at $1,879, 5 times as much as the older f/2.8 version. Is it worth it? For some it is. If it isn't for anybody, they won't sell and Nikon knows that. Olympus does too, as does Canon.

There is an AF portrait lens alternative available for m4/3 btw; the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in 4/3 mount. It will AF on the most recent m4/3 cameras, but it's bigger, bulkier and more expensive, even though it's from a third party supplier (and it's been discontinued, but it is possible to find it still).
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 29th September 2011 at 17:41.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Canon 100mm Macro IS because:

- very good
    - fast AF on 60D. Try shooting poppies floating in even a mild wind with the 45mm macro.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the Canon 100mm is $464 vs $399 for the Oly, I don't really follow the cost logic.

$399 isn't a good deal on m4/3 but $464, or even $399 if its an EF lens is okay then ?

Isn't $400, $400 regardless of what its spent on ? A dollar value is a dollar value regardless of whats its for. $400 either is or isn't a sizeable purchase based upon ones own finances.

As to if something is "worth" it is a totally subjective measure of course and some could find a $4000 lens well "worth it" and others a $40 lens at a garage sale they don't really use was a waste.

Im still of the opinion though as far as photo gear goes, $400 is on the lower end of the spectrum. Others will disagree of course but most gear I've bought usually cost well over that.

If that means myself or others have too much money, whos to say. This is a pretty high end enthusiast forum as a whole with lots of people easily having tens of thousands of dollars of equipment. Thats not average for the whole but it is around this fourm. Other sites maybe have younger or less experienced photographers, people for whom its more of a casual hobby than a passion etc and they may have more modest kits.

I think bottom line is though, that as far as the world of m4/3, and lenses such as the $800 oly 12mm, or the $600 Panny 25mm, the $650 Panny 45mm, or the $900 Panny 7-14, being able to get a really sharp and fast 90mm for $400 is a relative steal, WITHIN THE FORMAT

Aside from the 20mm, the rest of my M4/3 kit all cost well over the 45mm 1.8 so as such for me, its a mere $399 because its my second cheapest lens and one that I probably would of paid more for

Cheers

Hi

well from my persepctive the comparison was (as I stated) on the price for the same angle of view. It was a reaction to the "meer" tag of the price and my feeling that many people appear to have too much money. I'm not sure why you are unclear on that but when comparing lenses I feel its critical to compare them in terms of field of view as well as f-stop.

do you not see that? If not can you explain why that comparison is invalid?

Its like people saying how much of a steal the 20mm f1.7 is ... cos its a 20mm and a 20mm (made for full frame) normally costs so much more.

now THAT is an invalid comparison if you ask me.

well sure, but I don't recall saying anything about it not being light ... or are you just wanting to find more things to justify why you don't like my justification for why I don't think its bloody cheap.

sure ... I agree, have you read my blog post where I compare G1 to 5D and call it bambi vs godzilla?

still doesn't make the lens cheap even if in general the m4/3 system remains more attractive.

so now its me ing

Post Thanks / Like

That's not the price for the 100mm f/2.8 that you mentioned in your mail, but the 100mm f/2.0, a lens that was introduced in 1991.
    ok ... sorry, genuine mistatke I most certainly was not meaning to imply the macro, so if I got the 2 and 2.8 mixed up I'm sorry

I was simply fishing around for a similar lens in the Canon range to demonstrate that I didn't think that the 45 was as cheap as chips.

clearly everyone here does so pardon me.

I am not saying that it is stratospheric just not "cheap". Clearly your budget ideas are different to mine

So sure ... its cheap as chips, you'll buy 2 of them its so cheap...

and yes, I do believe that if that lens was developed today it could be at a similar price because it leverages off plenty of existing technology. Perhaps I must have missed the UD and aspheric elements or some other complex development on the 45

You either don't see my point or are unwilling to say that your take on my point was mistaken or what ever ... you think your opinion I'll think mine

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the Canon 100mm is $464 vs $399 for the Oly, I don't really follow the cost logic.

$399 isn't a good deal on m4/3 but $464, or even $399 if its an EF lens is okay then ?
    exactly ... neither are cheap. Which goes back to me saying that its not a "meer $400" but that the price is about right.

why is that such a confronting thing to say?

Now if the lens was less than the 14-45 zoom or even the same price I'd be saying its a bargain.

I have to remind myself that you guys all seem to think that if its less than a grand its not much money. Perhaps if I was sorting out my business costs I would feel differently, but I'm not. its a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this lens is inexpensive, but I do think it is reasonably priced.

The Olympus lens has 9 elements in 8 groups including 2 extra high refractive index elements shown in purple:

Here is the MTF chart:

LensTip is often pretty harsh in their lens reviews and had an absolutely glowing assessment of this lens: http://www.lenstip.com/316.11-Lens_r...8_Summary.html

I am unaware of any modern non-3rd party lens designed as a short telephoto (excludes the normal lenses which are being used as short teles on APS-C) which is less expensive than this one, despite the fact that many of them have simpler designs and need stopping down to be sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered one from Amazon Japan! :-D
    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Amin

thanks for the information on the lens.

the double negative requires extra reading, but ... if I may ask:

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I am unaware of any modern non-3rd party lens designed as a short telephoto (excludes the normal lenses which are being used as short teles on APS-C) which is less expensive than this one, despite the fact that many of them have simpler designs and need stopping down to be sharp.
    * what about 3rd party and do such exist?

Post Thanks / Like

I have to remind myself that you guys all seem to think that if its less than a grand its not much money. Perhaps if I was sorting out my business costs I would feel differently, but I'm not. its a hobby.
    Prices are -- and always have been -- evaluated relative to one's financial means. What strikes one person as outrageously expensive may be considered a bargain by another.

For instance, while I can easily afford to drop a grand on an m4/3 lens or two if I so desire, I sometimes find myself reeling when I read about the amounts of money people are spending on gear over on the medium-format forum. While it's true that I have a medium-format digital outfit myself, it certainly wasn't a casual purchase -- in order to fund it, I decided not to replace my car for another three years, among other things! -- and even then, I had to scrounge for good deals on used equipment for several months before I had a working system while staying within my self-imposed budget limit.

So with that to provide some context, a list price of $399 for an excellent performing lens strikes me as a veritable bargain. I didn't flinch at buying the 12mm/f2 for $799 because that struck me as being a bargain as well. By the same token, I didn't even consider upgrading my P30+ back to an IQ-anything because that would cost me at least $13,000 to do so, if not more, and I can't see the incremental improvement being worth that much to me, hobbyist photographer that I am.

So, as I suggested up front, prices must always be evaluated relative to the perspective of the viewer. Could I live happily with an m4/3 outfit? Sure; in fact, that's exactly what I was doing before I assembled my medium-format outfit and I still have it today. But since I was willing to make the necessary sacrifices in order to free up the funds to move up to a higher-quality format still, I don't have to live with it exclusively. As it ever was, it all comes down to each individual's resources and their willingness to compromise certain aspects of their life in favor of others. Your mileage may vary...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    So with that to provide some context, a list price of $399 for an excellent performing lens strikes me as a veritable bargain. I didn't flinch at buying the 12mm/f2 for $799 because that struck me as being a bargain as well. By the same token, I didn't even consider upgrading my P30+ back to an IQ-anything because that would cost me at least $13,000 to do so, if not more, and I can't see the incremental improvement being worth that much to me, hobbyist photographer that I am.
    It isn't only about whether your can afford it or not that makes something "expensive" to one person and not another. For instance when I shoot 24mm it is generally not wide open. So, while the 24mm is beautifully made and I love the way you switch it to manual focus, for me the lens became expensive given the way I will use it or in my case how (and how little) I would probably use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, different amount of money is different easy or hard to spend for everyone depending also on the timespan of her/his life.

Having said that at taking into account usual prices for lenses in the 90mm focal length with the reported qualities, the price of the 1.8/45 from Olympus seems a real bargain for me - have ordered one and expect delivery next week. For any of the APSC or FF equivalents you pay easily at least twice this money with not the same quality.

WRT 12mm lens, I so far deferred to order one, as it seems to big for me, simply I would have preferred a smaller and lighter design with a bit less fast.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't only about whether your can afford it or not that makes something "expensive" to one person and not another. For instance when I shoot 24mm it is generally not wide open. So, while the 24mm is beautifully made and I love the way you switch it to manual focus, for me the lens became expensive given the way I will use it or in my case how (and how little) I would probably use it.
    +1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

WRT 12mm lens, I so far deferred to order one, as it seems to big for me, simply I would have preferred a smaller and lighter design with a bit less fast.
    Peter the 12mm is tiny. It is actually slightly smaller than the 45mm. It only weighs 130g. I think you might be confusing this with a different lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter the 12mm is tiny. It is actually slightly smaller than the 45mm. It only weighs 130g. I think you might be confusing this with a different lens.
    I mean the Olympus 2/12(130g), which I consider "big" compared to the Panasonic 2.5/14 (55g). And as such it is also "too expensive" for me, as I would not have it often mounted to my camera.

Post Thanks / Like

You make a fair point, as I've been waiting for the 12mm lens basically since I bought my DMC-L1 way back in 2006 and it has effectively become the default lens on my GF1 in the short time since it arrived.

Post Thanks / Like

The 12/2 Oly has become my standard lens on my E-P3. My new 45/1.8 Oly is so nice and returns such wonderful images that it will undoubtedly become my standard portrait lens.

BTW, I don't see any significant difference between the 45 f/1.8 Oly and my 45mm f/2.8 Pana within their range of overlapping use.

I will have to see how I feel about the Leica 25 f/1.4 for portraits though. It may displace the Oly.

Adding in the new Pana X lens for some length and I've essentially replaced my entire m4/3 lens kit in the last few months.

Best,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    BTW, I don't see any significant difference between the 45 f/1.8 Oly and my 45mm f/2.8 Pana within their range of overlapping use.
    Since you have both, can I ask you how the ergonomics / feel / build of both compare, specifically for manual focusing.

Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manual focus on the Oly feels silky smooth. Much better than I expected. I don't have the 45 macro here to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual focus on the Oly feels silky smooth. Much better than I expected.
    Same here. So nice!