The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice re Manual Focus -- G3

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have a Panasonic G3 that I have been fooling around with, and just got a M to MFT adapter. I found the settings to allow the camera to work w/o an electronically coupled lens, and set it for MF. But using M lenses has tunred out a bit challenging. I just can't seem to get focused properly, even with magnifying the screen. I thought the EVF would make it easy to just look through it, twist the focus ring and use the EVF as a ground glass but it isn't so easy. Anyone more experienced with evfs have any advice?

Terry

Have you first adjusted the diopter in the EVF that you know you are starting off sharp?

Are you in good light? It does get harder as the light dims and you get noise in the EVF.

RichA

I have a Panasonic G3 that I have been fooling around with, and just got a M to MFT adapter. I found the settings to allow the camera to work w/o an electronically coupled lens, and set it for MF. But using M lenses has tunred out a bit challenging. I just can't seem to get focused properly, even with magnifying the screen. I thought the EVF would make it easy to just look through it, twist the focus ring and use the EVF as a ground glass but it isn't so easy. Anyone more experienced with evfs have any advice?
Focusing with manual lenses while using the magnifying feature on the EVF should be far superior/easier than any optical viewfinder. I had a Nikon D300 and it had a very good optical viewfinder but the Panasonic G1's EVF worked better when used in magnifying mode.