Site Sponsors

Thread: Advice re Manual Focus -- G3

Post Thanks / Like

Advice re Manual Focus -- G3

I have a Panasonic G3 that I have been fooling around with, and just got a M to MFT adapter. I found the settings to allow the camera to work w/o an electronically coupled lens, and set it for MF. But using M lenses has tunred out a bit challenging. I just can't seem to get focused properly, even with magnifying the screen. I thought the EVF would make it easy to just look through it, twist the focus ring and use the EVF as a ground glass but it isn't so easy. Anyone more experienced with evfs have any advice?
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Advice re Manual Focus -- G3

Have you first adjusted the diopter in the EVF that you know you are starting off sharp?

Are you in good light? It does get harder as the light dims and you get noise in the EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice re Manual Focus -- G3

Quote Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
    I have a Panasonic G3 that I have been fooling around with, and just got a M to MFT adapter. I found the settings to allow the camera to work w/o an electronically coupled lens, and set it for MF. But using M lenses has tunred out a bit challenging. I just can't seem to get focused properly, even with magnifying the screen. I thought the EVF would make it easy to just look through it, twist the focus ring and use the EVF as a ground glass but it isn't so easy. Anyone more experienced with evfs have any advice?
    Focusing with manual lenses while using the magnifying feature on the EVF should be far superior/easier than any optical viewfinder. I had a Nikon D300 and it had a very good optical viewfinder but the Panasonic G1's EVF worked better when used in magnifying mode.