The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica Summilux 25mm/1.4

Terry

I am talking about the brand new m43 lens of course.

why 'd I want to use it to reduce the image quality by extra glass surfaces from ND filter, even from a good manufacturers w/ mc, if I still can shoot 1.4-2.0 w/ 1/2000-1/4000 ? I am not talking about making watersurface smooth here...
Nor, am I but you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard....and is built in on cameras where it makes sense (Oly XZ1, Canon G series).

Ease up on the attitude. I'm not trying to be aggressive.

DHart

you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard....
Indeed. It's easy to hit 1/4000th and need to go farther, especially when shooting at f/1.4 or f/1.8 in full sun. I've got .9 (3-stop) ND filters on order from B&H for my 25mm/1.4 and my 45mm/1.8 lenses and will use them, if need be, to work at full apertures in full sun conditions. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Nor, am I but you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard
again - I do not need to deteriorate my images w/ ND filters w/o a real need and for as long as I do not need to have a longer exposure time (to have smooth waterflow surfaces) I am not going to use them... you might have a different opinion and that is OK, but you might want to imagine also a situation when you can't afford to slow the exposure w/ ND filters too, then what... but it really has nothing to do w/ loud noise from improperly designed aperture mechanism in PL25/1.4

....and is built in on cameras where it makes sense (Oly XZ1, Canon G series).
there is a difference between ND filter which was designed from the very beginning to be in the optical path and the lens which was not designed w/ it inside

then there are enough high level P&S w/o that (LX3/LX3, TL500, etc)

then the quality of their optics is low enough to pay any serious consideration

but again - it has nothing to do w/ mechanical operation of PL25/1.4... if you are suggesting it as the way to avoid the annoying sound then I might as well plug something in my ears in order not to hear it...

Terry

Sorry, but it seemed you had two complaints. One of noise and the other of hitting the maximum shutter speed shooting in bright daylight. I was addressing the latter point and it has nothing to do with smoothing water. It has everything to do with simply trying to work within the camera boundaries and not hit max shutter speed. Two stops or three stops with the lens wide open in bright conditions is enough to keep it at or below the fastest shutter speed only.

Last edited:
Ya do what ya gotta do.
you miss the point - I did not run into the situation when I can't shoot w/o ND, I was not asking about that, no need to play Captain Obvious here...

my posting was about mechanical noise from aperture operation and plus PL25/1.4 autofocusing is unpleasantly loud on fast body like GH2 (compared for example w/ PL45/2.8 which is quite silky smooth soundwise in the same situation /macrodistances disabled/)... it is not the end of the world, but it is annoying in certain situations... and Panasonic could do better in its high end line of lenses.

kds315

Currently quite a few people are selling this lens here in Germany - did I miss something or is this just a coincidence (4 sales in parallel within days in a local forum)??

DHart

you miss the point - I did not run into the situation when I can't shoot w/o ND, I was not asking about that, no need to play Captain Obvious here...
Sorry, deejjjaaaa, my comment was regarding the occasional need to use ND filters if you want to shoot at f/1.4 in full sun.

As for your comment telling me that theres no need to "play Captain Obvious" I must have struck a nerve or something. No worries, bud, life is great... Step away from the computer and go make some images with that 25! :)

biglouis

Some very nice images, so far. I am particularly impressed with Ron's landscape images, of Detroit and the forest/lake. Definitely a Leica feel to those images - lovely tones.

LouisB

kds315

Well Ron, a little underexposure would certainly have brought out a few more autumn colors IMHO, they look rather flat on my monitor ;)

biglouis

Bought one today over the counter from a dealer in central London. Got it home and a bit surprised to discover no lens bag. Should there have been one included? All my other lenses from Panasonic including the 45/2.8 have them.

LouisB

biglouis

Congrats Louis!

Yes, mine came with a lens bag.
Damn, I'll have to go back and see if they have it.

I really like the way the lens renders landscapes. The colours are very subtle and very Leica. Not interested in portrait work although I have my son's university graduation tomorrow so I will be able to give it a workout.

BTW, the salesman who is a long-time Leica seller told me the reason why these lenses are in short supply is that each time they make a batch at the Panasonic factory Leica insist that their technician is on hand to quality assure the process. And technicians from Solms are not that available.

Sounds like he was shooting a line but it is a nice story.

LouisB

Bought one today over the counter from a dealer in central London. Got it home and a bit surprised to discover no lens bag. Should there have been one included? All my other lenses from Panasonic including the 45/2.8 have them.

LouisB
did he include the operating instructions booklet ? page#6, "Supplied Accessories" = 1) VFC4456, "Lens Storage Bag"