Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Leica Summilux 25mm/1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with Leica Summilux 25mm/1.4

What about this great lens for m4/3
    Last edited by Kamoulox; 6th October 2011 at 21:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with Leica Summilux 25mm/1.4

Let's go, i open this thread...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I assume you are talking about the new one from m4/3. I'm waiting for the lens..... these look good. Any thought about the lens?

Post Thanks / Like

It is one of the best m4/3 lens I have, if not the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice pictures. I'm also sitting on the fence waiting to see some more. I have an EP3.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to giving this a more thorough work out this weekend.

I took this one of my wife at dinner a couple nights ago.

20111005 025b by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for posting Ron. Would be nice to see some colour ones please Did you do any processing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chiquita View Post
    Thanks for posting Ron. Would be nice to see some colour ones please Did you do any processing?
    I converted the one above from RAW. Here are a couple in color.

20111005 019a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20111005 014a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

taphapy

Here's a mini rose bloom shot with a +10 diopter on the front. The 25mm lens is bright and sharp and a wonderful addition to my stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamoulox View Post
    What about this great lens for m4/3
    loud and annoying sound from aperture in certain conditions... imagine such situation - you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... camera can't keep f2 while the sensor is feeding EVF and/or LV otherwise you will not see anything - there is no global shutter, base ISO is too high, readout from sensor for EVF/LV is still 60fps... so camera has to stop the lens down a lot when sensor is feeding EVF/LV... now imagine that you are now making a shot, then camera opens PL25/1.4 aperture wide open to focus (and then adjusts for a shot unless you just focus) and then it has to stop it back down to resume feeding EVF/LV... and that cycle produces quite loud noise w/ PL25/1.4 (in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4)... on top of that PL25/1.4 has quite loud and unpleasant sound when AF for still shot (at least w/ fast focusing GH2 body - which apparently w/ 120fps readout for CDAF can move optics inside faster than older bodies)... so may be optics is great, but mechanics is BAD (sounds-wise... plus all those sounds tells about some extra mechanical wear and tear)

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up this lens, but haven't had opportunity to work much with it.

deejjjaaaa's post has me wondering if this was a poor choice, just when I thought I had gotten such a wonderful lens.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Just picked up this lens, but haven't had opportunity to work much with it.

deejjjaaaa's post has me wondering if this was a poor choice, just when I thought I had gotten such a wonderful lens.
    my post was not about optics - but about mechanical aspects (aperture and focusing gear) of its operation.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you talking about the brand new lens or the old 4/3 lens which indeed was loud. In addition, just any other really fast lens outdoors, if you want to shoot wide open use an ND filter.

Quote Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post
    loud and annoying sound from aperture in certain conditions... imagine such situation - you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... camera can't keep f2 while the sensor is feeding EVF and/or LV otherwise you will not see anything - there is no global shutter, base ISO is too high, readout from sensor for EVF/LV is still 60fps... so camera has to stop the lens down a lot when sensor is feeding EVF/LV... now imagine that you are now making a shot, then camera opens PL25/1.4 aperture wide open to focus (and then adjusts for a shot unless you just focus) and then it has to stop it back down to resume feeding EVF/LV... and that cycle produces quite loud noise w/ PL25/1.4 (in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4)... on top of that PL25/1.4 has quite loud and unpleasant sound when AF for still shot (at least w/ fast focusing GH2 body - which apparently w/ 120fps readout for CDAF can move optics inside faster than older bodies)... so may be optics is great, but mechanics is BAD (sounds-wise... plus all those sounds tells about some extra mechanical wear and tear)

Post Thanks / Like

I have not detected any annoying sound, in which operating conditions did you hear such a loud sound?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I have not detected any annoying sound, in which operating conditions did you hear such a loud sound?
    Me neither.....

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Are you talking about the brand new lens or the old 4/3 lens which indeed was loud.
    I am talking about the brand new m43 lens of course.

In addition, just any other really fast lens outdoors, if you want to shoot wide open use an ND filter.
    why 'd I want to use it to reduce the image quality by extra glass surfaces from ND filter, even from a good manufacturers w/ mc, if I still can shoot 1.4-2.0 w/ 1/2000-1/4000 ? I am not talking about making watersurface smooth here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    in which operating conditions did you hear such a loud sound?
    from my text that you just quoted (I 'd assume w/o reading it ?) :

"...you try to shoot w/ wider aperture under a bright sun... so parameters are for example, "A" mode, ISO160, f2 and exposure metered to 1/4000... in my case GH2 and PL25/1.4..."

half press the shutter to just focus and listen the sound of the aperture blades working.

Post Thanks / Like

A few from today. Not being bothered by any noise.

20111009 129a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20111009 029a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20111009 005a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful day where you were, Ron! The third image is my favorite.
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am talking about the brand new m43 lens of course.

why 'd I want to use it to reduce the image quality by extra glass surfaces from ND filter, even from a good manufacturers w/ mc, if I still can shoot 1.4-2.0 w/ 1/2000-1/4000 ? I am not talking about making watersurface smooth here...
    Nor, am I but you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard....and is built in on cameras where it makes sense (Oly XZ1, Canon G series).

Ease up on the attitude. I'm not trying to be aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard....
    Indeed. It's easy to hit 1/4000th and need to go farther, especially when shooting at f/1.4 or f/1.8 in full sun. I've got .9 (3-stop) ND filters on order from B&H for my 25mm/1.4 and my 45mm/1.8 lenses and will use them, if need be, to work at full apertures in full sun conditions. Ya do what ya gotta do.
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful day where you were, Ron! The third image is my favorite.
    +1 Indeed my favorite too. The fall colours reflecting in the water are lovely.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Nor, am I but you can very easily hit the 1/4000 limit pretty easily in bright conditions. Using an ND filter in these conditions is pretty standard
    again - I do not need to deteriorate my images w/ ND filters w/o a real need and for as long as I do not need to have a longer exposure time (to have smooth waterflow surfaces) I am not going to use them... you might have a different opinion and that is OK, but you might want to imagine also a situation when you can't afford to slow the exposure w/ ND filters too, then what... but it really has nothing to do w/ loud noise from improperly designed aperture mechanism in PL25/1.4

....and is built in on cameras where it makes sense (Oly XZ1, Canon G series).
    there is a difference between ND filter which was designed from the very beginning to be in the optical path and the lens which was not designed w/ it inside

then there are enough high level P&S w/o that (LX3/LX3, TL500, etc)

then the quality of their optics is low enough to pay any serious consideration

but again - it has nothing to do w/ mechanical operation of PL25/1.4... if you are suggesting it as the way to avoid the annoying sound then I might as well plug something in my ears in order not to hear it...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, but it seemed you had two complaints. One of noise and the other of hitting the maximum shutter speed shooting in bright daylight. I was addressing the latter point and it has nothing to do with smoothing water. It has everything to do with simply trying to work within the camera boundaries and not hit max shutter speed. Two stops or three stops with the lens wide open in bright conditions is enough to keep it at or below the fastest shutter speed only.
    Last edited by Terry; 10th October 2011 at 08:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya do what ya gotta do.
    you miss the point - I did not run into the situation when I can't shoot w/o ND, I was not asking about that, no need to play Captain Obvious here...

my posting was about mechanical noise from aperture operation and plus PL25/1.4 autofocusing is unpleasantly loud on fast body like GH2 (compared for example w/ PL45/2.8 which is quite silky smooth soundwise in the same situation /macrodistances disabled/)... it is not the end of the world, but it is annoying in certain situations... and Panasonic could do better in its high end line of lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently quite a few people are selling this lens here in Germany - did I miss something or is this just a coincidence (4 sales in parallel within days in a local forum)??

Post Thanks / Like

you miss the point - I did not run into the situation when I can't shoot w/o ND, I was not asking about that, no need to play Captain Obvious here...
    Sorry, deejjjaaaa, my comment was regarding the occasional need to use ND filters if you want to shoot at f/1.4 in full sun.

As for your comment telling me that theres no need to "play Captain Obvious" I must have struck a nerve or something. No worries, bud, life is great... Step away from the computer and go make some images with that 25!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Some very nice images, so far. I am particularly impressed with Ron's landscape images, of Detroit and the forest/lake. Definitely a Leica feel to those images - lovely tones.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don, Bart & Louis! Autumn in Michigan is glorious.

20111009 037a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get it? I've been waiting since July.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
    Where did you get it? I've been waiting since July.
    I got mine last week from Unique Photo.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Well Ron, a little underexposure would certainly have brought out a few more autumn colors IMHO, they look rather flat on my monitor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    I got mine last week from Unique Photo.
    same here

Post Thanks / Like

Bought one today over the counter from a dealer in central London. Got it home and a bit surprised to discover no lens bag. Should there have been one included? All my other lenses from Panasonic including the 45/2.8 have them.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Louis!

Yes, mine came with a lens bag.

Here's one from this past weekend. It's starting to get cold here!

20111015 033a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    Congrats Louis!

Yes, mine came with a lens bag.
    Damn, I'll have to go back and see if they have it.

I really like the way the lens renders landscapes. The colours are very subtle and very Leica. Not interested in portrait work although I have my son's university graduation tomorrow so I will be able to give it a workout.

BTW, the salesman who is a long-time Leica seller told me the reason why these lenses are in short supply is that each time they make a batch at the Panasonic factory Leica insist that their technician is on hand to quality assure the process. And technicians from Solms are not that available.

Sounds like he was shooting a line but it is a nice story.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Bought one today over the counter from a dealer in central London. Got it home and a bit surprised to discover no lens bag. Should there have been one included? All my other lenses from Panasonic including the 45/2.8 have them.

LouisB
    did he include the operating instructions booklet ? page#6, "Supplied Accessories" = 1) VFC4456, "Lens Storage Bag"

Post Thanks / Like

did he include the operating instructions booklet ? page#6, "Supplied Accessories" = 1) VFC4456, "Lens Storage Bag"
    Yep, instructions included. Never open them. It's a lens! You shove it on your camera and start firing away

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots, everyone. I've been waiting for a M43 50 mm equiv., since the beginning and even though it's larger than I would like, it seems to be, so far, the best 50 mm lens I have ever owned, as far as contrast, sharpness, color and bokeh go. Here are a few recent shots.
    Last edited by clay stewart; 21st May 2012 at 20:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Yep, instructions included. Never open them. It's a lens! You shove it on your camera and start firing away
    you asked "Should there have been one included?", so instead you can just bother to read the list of included things (hood, caps, etc) there...

Post Thanks / Like

you asked "Should there have been one included?", so instead you can just bother to read the list of included things (hood, caps, etc) there...
    Dude, you completely lost me. Not sure why you are bothering to extend the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a little scolding going on. I got scolded for "playing Captain Obvious" earlier in this thread.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Nice shots, everyone. I've been waiting for a M43 50 mm equiv., since the beginning and even though it's larger than I would like, it seems to be, so far, the best 50 mm lens I have ever owned, as far as contrast, sharpness, color and bokeh go. Here are a few recent shots.
    Clay the portraits are excellent examples. It is a very sharp lens.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

My first experiences with the lens leads me to the following conclusion. Firstly, it is a very sharp lens, amazingly so even at f1.4. Secondly, it draws colour beautifully. There is definitely a 'Leica-intensity' to the colouration. Both shots are at f1.4.

Now, if only Panasonic would complete the set with a Leica 17/2 Summicron...

This was shot through a glass screen

Post Thanks / Like

Nice images, Louis. I can't wait to get the time to get shooting with mine. Very soon my busy season ends and 6 months of play time begins!

My lens wish list for m4/3 has but one item left on it now... a 90-100mm at f/1.8 or so.

With the 7-14, 12/2, 14, 20, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 14-45, 14-140, and some legacy glass... I'm happy as a clam and only missing a really fast 90-100. In the meantime, I use my Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4, which pretty much gives me the portrait look I want, but having a native with AF would be sublime.
    Last edited by DHart; 23rd October 2011 at 00:13.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Thanks and I hope you get the time to play with the lens soon. I notice your list does not include the superb Leica 45/2.8. I own one and I am thinking of also obtaining the 45/1.8. The 45/2.8 is a superb macro lens. But not that good as a portrait lens. Incidentally, the only manual lens I use in m43rds is the Voigtlander 50/1.5 which sort-of meets your desired focal length and does do very nice portraits.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Louis, I have a Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 and a Canon FDn 50/1.4 which, along with my Planar 85/1.4, are great portrait lenses - especially the 85/1.4... WOW.

When I say I yearn for a native 90-100mm f/1.8, I mean just that, yielding an equivalent 180-200mm at f/1.8.

My favorite portrait "look" is obtained by using a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (usually at 200 and always at f/2.8) on a 5DMkII full frame sensor body. With the 200 f/2.8 and full frame sensor, I can back away from my subject by, say, 12 to 18' or so and get strikingly shallow DOF and great bokeh with a half-length portrait. In order to get that same "look" on a m4/3 body, I will need a 90 to 100mm f/1.8 lens. I already have the Planar 85mm f/1.4 which is STUNNING, but I'd like a native m4/3 lens which I can use to get about the same look I get with the 5DMkII and 200/2.8, but with auto focus (which the Planar 85/1.4 lacks).
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Louis... my portrait style, for my professional portrait work, calls for a full frame sensor (5DMkII) with 80-200 f/2.8L lens shot at f/2.8 and typically at 200mm. There is no native m4/3 lens on m4/3 that will give me quite this look.... yet! I can get a similar look with the new 45/1.8 lens, but only with camera to subject distances of around 4' to 5', which requires a much tighter head and shoulders composition only.

This is the look I earn my bread and butter with:

The Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 lens will give me this look on m4/3 (though without the better dynamic range and low noise at high ISO) and without AF.

Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 on GH2:

When Panasonic or Olympus gives us a 90-100mm f/1.8 native m4/3 lens with AF, I will be giddy with joy!

I have to get this close with the 45/1.8 on m4/3 to achieve a similar look:
    Don

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post