The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus financial scandal will mean...?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hara kiri is the term (literally, "stomach cutting"). Seppuku is another term for this practise

Interesting link, thanks.

pellicle

execs "fall on their swords" and quietly retreat with some millions in salary and bonus while the workers who did a good job and the engineers who tried to steer marketing away from such folly often just have to find other jobs or tighten their belts.

sigh

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If this is as serious as it looks, and the snowball starts rolling, It's probably only a question of time before Panasonic takes over the camera division. They can't risk that patents that they use in their cameras are sold off to a "hostile" third party.

pellicle

If this is as serious as it looks, and the snowball starts rolling, It's probably only a question of time before Panasonic takes over the camera division..
wouldn't that be funny ... Panasonic selling the Olympus Brand ... wonder if they'd put the lumix badge on it too

:))

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Selling the camera devision to some more dynamic company would be a relief! I could not care less about the rest of Olympus personally, but I wish the employees all the best anyway!

What happened in the past and is still happening in the Oly camera business is a shame, given what they (the engineers) are capable of doing:

PEN camera system, OM System, E system, ..... all great systems incorporating great ideas but finally died because no proper following up!

cjlacz

Might we be over reacting a bit? It's not like the company has suddenly gotten in worse shape is it? It looks like some of the high up executives may have been corrupt. It looks like the money has been accounted for, so it's not like they've suddenly hit bankruptcy. Hopefully we'll see the old Japanese geezers responsible getting kicked out and some new blood coming in.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Might we be over reacting a bit? It's not like the company has suddenly gotten in worse shape is it? It looks like some of the high up executives may have been corrupt. It looks like the money has been accounted for, so it's not like they've suddenly hit bankruptcy. Hopefully we'll see the old Japanese geezers responsible getting kicked out and some new blood coming in.
Fish always starts smelling from the head.

Plus - at least as a user I am getting very tired of waiting new blood to come in and doing something better.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
wouldn't that be funny ... Panasonic selling the Olympus Brand ... wonder if they'd put the lumix badge on it too

:))
Olympix?

Nah... they probably aren't interested in the brand. They have their own brands plus Leica, and Olympus is more important for the microscope/endoscope business.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That depends. The shares seem to be in free fall, and with a new board who's main task will be to focus on profitable core business, the not-so-profitable camera business is a very obvious candidate for chopping.

Then on the other hand, I don't know much about Japanese business, so maybe it'll be business as usual in a couple of months :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Olympix?

Nah... they probably aren't interested in the brand. They have their own brands plus Leica, and Olympus is more important for the microscope/endoscope business.
Unfortunately I think you are very right! I almost am sure Olympus Camera will disappear.