The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buy in Canada, get r-aped on price

Terry

Not entirely fair.
Right now Fry's is the cheapest place that has a G3 and for some reason they are able to run this special at $499. At B&H it is about $630 and Amazon is $699 right now. There have been instances where the pricing for me to buy in Canada has made it worth it. I don't really think it is a free trade issue but more of a currency issue right now.

kds315

Threads like that tend to upset me, since it implies stupid buyers. Are they?? Guess not...

f8orbust

I had a Miele vacuum cleaner in the UK (German made, super quality). Cost £125 (roughly $200 Canadian). Thought I'd buy the identical model in Toronto. Went to Canadan Tire - $599 + Tax = $677. Sheeesh. Same at Sears, same at The Bay.

So, let's see...I could buy the Miele next time I'm in the UK, together with it's own economy class plane ticket...pop it on the seat next to me and still get it here for less than I can buy it locally. Absolutely crazy.

I agree that this is not an entirely fair comparison... what do you expect to achieve by comparing one of the most expensive retailers in Canada with a questionable on-line store in the USA?

Here are some more realistic price comparisons:

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03721/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G3-with-14-42mm-OIS-Kit-price.html

As you can see, some of the Canadian stores are a bit closer in price to the major US stores, although we are still paying a premium for many Panasonic products here in Canada.

Here

RichA

I agree that this is not an entirely fair comparison... what do you expect to achieve by comparing one of the most expensive retailers in Canada with a questionable on-line store in the USA?

Here are some more realistic price comparisons:

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03721/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G3-with-14-42mm-OIS-Kit-price.html

As you can see, some of the Canadian stores are a bit closer in price to the major US stores, although we are still paying a premium for many Panasonic products here in Canada.

Here
Who cares about conventional comparison when I can import it? Find me a Fry's deal, or anything like it in Canada. Happens all the time in the U.S. Amazon especially, but unfortunately, those anti-free traders won't ship electronics out of the U.S.

J

jrob

I'm with the OP, I got my wife's GF2 for about $200 less (after taxes/duty and delivery) from BH than I could get "locally".

We get "bent over".