Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

curious80

Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    in what way is this not a reasonable replacment for the GF1?
    Yes, I am curious about that as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    Yes, I am curious about that as well
    sounds like there weren't many reasons

antphot

With a GF1, you can do more things than with a 10 years old Leica. So I'll keep my gf 1, forget this new GX and focus my interest on the research of beautiful lenses. I think we are in a consumerist position and with the crisis we must just enjoy luckily the things we have ...

cosinaphile

i think itsthe best looking panny yet . if it had a vf it would have been a nex 7 x 100 killer

so of course they didnt do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antphot View Post
    With a GF1, you can do more things than with a 10 years old Leica. So I'll keep my gf 1, forget this new GX and focus my interest on the research of beautiful lenses. I think we are in a consumerist position and with the crisis we must just enjoy luckily the things we have ...
    Which "beautiful" lenses for m43 ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    my count would start with the Olympus 45 f1.8 include the Panasonic 20mm and then any number of legacy lenses

Post Thanks / Like

my count would start with the Olympus 45 f1.8 include the Panasonic 20mm and then any number of legacy lenses
    Knowing both of these lenses - well they are good glass, definitely better than all the zooms for m43, but FAR AWAY from being great! As the longer I think about all this m43 stuff the more I come to the conclusion it is a nice toy, but not really destined for top results.

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing both of these lenses - well they are good glass, definitely better than all the zooms for m43, but FAR AWAY from being great! As the longer I think about all this m43 stuff the more I come to the conclusion it is a nice toy, but not really destined for top results.
    well I was only putting the m4/3 because I was replying to you, the original poster didn't put that criteria in, he's chasing 'beautiful' lenses.

something interesting I read some time ago on lenses
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ies/m-43.shtml

led me to consider that there are reasons for this which are essentially about magnification (bringing me back to still having a reason to own full frame which has less magnification)

Post Thanks / Like

well I was only putting the m4/3 because I was replying to you, the original poster didn't put that criteria in, he's chasing 'beautiful' lenses.

something interesting I read some time ago on lenses
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ies/m-43.shtml

led me to consider that there are reasons for this which are essentially about magnification (bringing me back to still having a reason to own full frame which has less magnification)
    I am going back to FF again for main photography! Especially after I did not get the lenses I was waiting for from m43, which I easily can buy from the likes as Canon and Nikon and even Sony today - no waiting, just buy and enjoy .....

M43 will stay as P&S but even there I doubt forever, as XZ1 or Canon S100 are very nice substitutes for m43 already - AND much more compact.

Post Thanks / Like

... and I'd add the 45/2.8 and the new 25/1.4... the results I have seen from the 12/2 are also pretty damn good...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, the image quality is short of that of images stitched from an array of 8K-HS Betterlight shots, but then, they serve different purposes.

I use m43 a lot, but I also have and use 24x36 cameras. If I had a reasonable use for MF or larger, I'd get that probably in addition.

For m43, the 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/0.95 and 45/1.8 are very nice lenses. Whether you consider them 'great' or 'beautiful' is your call. As reference I've had and/or used most Leica screw mount and M mount lenses, and large numbers of other 35mm, MF and LF lenses. These m43 lenses can swim with most of the better ones.

Henning

Willabeast

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    And yet another +1... I would have been happy for them to dump the inbuilt flash if that gave it enough room. Sure the G3 is there for inbuilt EVF but the GX1 could have been something akin to to the X100 (minus OFV) but with changeable lens. Something many many have asked for.
    Exactly what I said in another post... or maybe on another forum. Dump the aenemic flash and build in an EVF and I'll buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the construction of this flash allows for it to be used as a bounce-flash like a couple other m4/3 cameras (and unlike my GF1). I find that functionality rather intriguing, even if results vary and it is a quite specialized use.

I agree though, I would probably find an EVF in that space more useful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you look at the 17x22 prints I have on my wall from Kenya you would have no idea what system they were shot with (and that was not pushing the size to the limit it was a printer limit).

Peter, everyone is entitled to an opinion but calling the m4/3 system a toy is a bit over the top.

cosinaphile

my 12mm f2 m. zukio is beautiful , my 7-14 panny is beautiful , my orig kit zoom 14-45 panny is beautiful ....my 20mm 1.7 is beautiful , my 3 cv rangefinder lenses on the voightlander adapter are beautiful times 3 , 50mm 1.5 28mm 1.9 15mm 4.5
    my konica hexanon 57mm 1.2 with adapter is beautiful , my canon fd 200 mm 2.8 is beautiful .....my nikon.....

just sayin

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree on the lenses. With Olympus offering up the 12 and the 45, I can have the 12, the Panny 20, and the 45, and I have a nifty and light prime set. I currently have the last two. I have not sprung for the Oly 12 yet (I already have the Panny 7-14, so hard to justify :-o )

My only comparison would be my Nikon system. for my D200, there is no 16mm prime. The 35 f1.8 would be just fine for the mid, and then not sure on the top end. I'd be tempted to get the Tamron 90 macro or perhaps the Cosina 58mm... So, my only option on the D200 is to go zoom on the wide front which I do have.

Compare the net weight and the quality of images, and for day long excursions, my m4/3 system keeps winning.

I really want that 12mm...

Funny thing, had Nikon dished up a 16mm prime for DX, I probably never would have acquired an m4/3 system. I never did step up to the D300 because of that, and the D700 (which would have let me use the primes I wanted) was just out of my reach and weighed even more...

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Peter, everyone is entitled to an opinion but calling the m4/3 system a toy is a bit over the top.
    Terry,

JMHO - sorry but after 2 years of use and fiddling around with it, I came to the conclusion that for serious photography it is not right there.

It is not WRT size (as it is still pretty big compared to other solutions and P&S) which it always wants to differentiate - at least if you believe marketing from Pana and Oly and it is not there WRT available lens choices. Again I have waited for over 2 years and I am missing most of what I have expected.

Agree this is maybe my personal problem but it is also my personal right to state that for ME m43 is not much than a toy WRT serious photography - right?

Best

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, I've seen you comment on several camera systems in the past years. I fear that for you, the ideal solution will always seem to be just around the corner.

curious80

Agree this is maybe my personal problem but it is also my personal right to state that for ME m43 is not much than a toy WRT serious photography - right?

Typically in a discussion when people use dismissive terms like "it is a toy", it signals an attempt to make a broad assertion rather than just expressing one's preference A much more neutral way to express oneself would be "after using it for a while I decided that it does not provide the image quality that I expect from a serious DSLR level camera". And I am pretty sure no one would argue with you over that opinion .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    Peter, I've seen you comment on several camera systems in the past years. I fear that for you, the ideal solution will always seem to be just around the corner.
    How wrong you are ....

Post Thanks / Like

Typically in a discussion when people use dismissive terms like "it is a toy", it signals an attempt to make a broad assertion rather than just expressing one's preference A much more neutral way to express oneself would be "after using it for a while I decided that it does not provide the image quality that I expect from a serious DSLR level camera". And I am pretty sure no one would argue with you over that opinion .
    Well, however you want to express yourself does not matter as long as no one is attacked and you walk in certain limits.

Considering m43 for me as a toy comes from my experience I had with it. I also used 43 and E5 and this by no means is a toy, if you understand what I mean. Of course much bigger, but also much better for serious photography.

Now when it comes to an always with me camera which is easy to carry - say a high end P&S, I would consider m43 as available today to fit into that category. But for that we all know that there are numerous other alternatives, just to mention XZ1, Dlux5, S100 etc.etc which get you images in similar quality but even smaller. When you need to carry around a m43 system with several lenses then it is no longer P&S for me and then I simply could not care less than carrying for a serious job a FF DSLR with certain lenses - especially high speed primes, which again are not even available for m43 in the flavors as for FF DSLRs.

Still cannot understand why so many feel to have to comment on my preferences, might this be because they start to doubt their own decisions ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, however you want to express yourself does not matter as long as no one is attacked and you walk in certain limits.

Considering m43 for me as a toy comes from my experience I had with it. I also used 43 and E5 and this by no means is a toy, if you understand what I mean. Of course much bigger, but also much better for serious photography.

Now when it comes to an always with me camera which is easy to carry - say a high end P&S, I would consider m43 as available today to fit into that category. But for that we all know that there are numerous other alternatives, just to mention XZ1, Dlux5, S100 etc.etc which get you images in similar quality but even smaller. When you need to carry around a m43 system with several lenses then it is no longer P&S for me and then I simply could not care less than carrying for a serious job a FF DSLR with certain lenses - especially high speed primes, which again are not even available for m43 in the flavors as for FF DSLRs.

Still cannot understand why so many feel to have to comment on my preferences, might this be because they start to doubt their own decisions ?
    Peter by all means you are entitled to your opinion and here now you put it in context of what you are looking for. But to me the initial comment about it being a toy reads to a native English speaker as insulting and dismissive to other peoples thoughts rather than just something that doesn't meet your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter by all means you are entitled to your opinion and here now you put it in context of what you are looking for. But to me the initial comment about it being a toy reads to a native English speaker as insulting and dismissive to other peoples thoughts rather than just something that doesn't meet your needs.
    If this is the case, then I do of course apologize. I by no means wanted to insult anyone's thoughts here I can assure! So sorry for this confusion and misunderstanding.

BTW I am not saying that m43 is bad, I myself will continue to use it, but it just does not come up to what I (and I guess also others) expected from m43 as a system. Or maybe simply also because expectations are to high.

Just if I want to use a P&S, which in my case needs to be a high end P&S (I specified already earlier) then m43 is not what I use for that reason. On the other side if I do want to do serious photography (what means serious for me at least), I am back to FF DSLR. Neither 43 nor APSC was able to satisfy my needs for this.

All that evolved over the period of the last 2 years and is obviously a learning and also trust process - trust in the promises of vendors. I would not say that this trust is broken, by no means, but I am simply no longer patient to wait till m43 will evolve from a serious P&S (in my definition) into a real pro-system (as promised by Pana and Oly for years now. Looking at the GX1 (the starting point of this thread) in my opinion we are far away from any pro camera, looking at the promises from Olympus to come out with a Pen-Pro I lost confidence it will ever happen, especially when you consider where Olympus is financially heading today. And monitoring where all that pro promises for m43 end up (or evolved till today) the result is not convincing (at least not for me).

But again, sorry and apologize if I anyone felt (feels) insulted by my posts - not intended, guaranteed!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

How do the G3 users here like the thumb-dial? Just playing with a G3 in-store, I noticed it is smaller than my GF1's, and more difficult to turn/adjust. I assume the GX1's will be the same as the G3's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    How do the G3 users here like the thumb-dial? Just playing with a G3 in-store, I noticed it is smaller than my GF1's, and more difficult to turn/adjust. I assume the GX1's will be the same as the G3's.
    No problem for me with the thumb dial - my main problem is using the fn buttons on the G3.

I have to try the rubber bump trick one of these days...
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I have a GF1 and have had the G3 since June. I honestly haven't noticed the difference but then I actually shot more with my G1 than my GF1. The thumb wheel works fine for me. I shot today for about 4 hours with a manual focus lens and used it for both EC and MF assist with no problems at all. Felt comfortable under my thumb.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a field test video on the GX1 I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umzsaAbC2tU

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    No problem for me with the thumb dial - my main problem is using the fn buttons on the G3.

I have to try the rubber bump trick one of these days...
    I finally put the AEL/AEF on fn 2 or bottom button. I prefer fn 1/top but it is harder to use. I am going to try the bump also. Someone suggested a bit of velcro but it seems it might be hard to get a usable bit that small. Haven't tried it. I do use fn 1 for preview but would prefer to exchange these 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I finally put the AEL/AEF on fn 2 or bottom button.
    So did I. Works much better and it's easier to find by feel.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Here's a field test video on the GX1 I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umzsaAbC2tU

Cheers!
    Great video, again!

Post Thanks / Like

Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry
    focus peaking is such a no-brainer . . . if you want to use 3rd party lenses (or manual focus) it's more important than anything else . . . why aren't they doing it . . .or Olympus for that matter
    Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe Sony has a patent on it, and therefore nobody but them will be able to dot his for a while? I saw Michael Reichmann mention this too with another camera brand and I felt he should know better! :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe Sony has a patent on it, and therefore nobody but them will be able to dot his for a while? I saw Michael Reichmann mention this too with another camera brand and I felt he should know better! :-)

- Raist
    It isn't new tech. It has been used in video for years.

Post Thanks / Like

That really depends on what kind of photography you are doing. I am sure you can do "serious photography" on micro four thirds depending on the market and what you are doing. In fact, the best sensor for micro or 4/3rds exists only in micro four thirds and that's the GH2's (maybe just superseded by a notch on the GX1- or not). Yes, better than the E-5's.

Well I find interesting you mention that. You are selling your E-5 system? Is that correct? Why? Weren't you just emphatically recommending it to me just a few months back? Weren't you like super happy with it? What happened?

Or did I get that wrong and you are keeping it?

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

It isn't new tech. It has been used in video for years.
    Ok, that's a start :-) But don't completely rule out that using focus peaking on a digital still camera could still be its own patent (however ridiculous that is if it was done before on video cams) :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=raist3d;367557Well I find interesting you mention that. You are selling your E-5 system? Is that correct? Why? Weren't you just emphatically recommending it to me just a few months back? Weren't you like super happy with it? What happened?

Or did I get that wrong and you are keeping it?

- Raist[/QUOTE]

Selling it! not because of bad quality, I could live with more high ISO noise, but I could not do without some high speed (wide aperture) primes.

BTW, just think back what you recommended to me and others - right?

BTW2, I actually never recommended to you, you were asking and seeking for information . And to put things right, everyone can say that the system he/she is currently using is good or bad and that for the moment (everything is just a shot in time) this system fulfills maybe all or most of the needs. But what any person concludes out of such statements remains up to that person and there is no one forced to follow. Hope this clarifies if it was not already clear ......

Post Thanks / Like

Selling it! not because of bad quality, I could live with more high ISO noise, but I could not do without some high speed (wide aperture) primes.
    Thought you were unhappy with the 14-35 SHG… Thought you mentioned something about that, that wasn't very good or something. Olympus certainly lacks primes, their entire system is built on a zooms premise.

BTW, just think back what you recommended to me and others - right?
    What about it? I mean what about it relates to this context?

BTW2, I actually never recommended to you, you were asking and seeking for information .
    Actually you did. I was not seeking information, I was sharing information. Here's the relevant thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27867

This is what you said:

Maybe you should try the E5 - I never was happier with a DSLR than I am with that camera. And I am sure color has even improved further!
    And to put things right, everyone can say that the system he/she is currently using is good or bad and that for the moment (everything is just a shot in time) this system fulfills maybe all or most of the needs. But what any person concludes out of such statements remains up to that person and there is no one forced to follow. Hope this clarifies if it was not already clear ......
    To be really frank with you, if someone is going to say that a system like an E-5 + SHG lenses is a perfect system that fulfills their needs (you could also swap that with any other camera model/brand) less than a year ago only to all of a sudden find it not so and "need" an upgrade, particularly when having a history of relatively quick upgrades quite frankly looks a bit suspect on whether the focus is on photography or gear. Someone else pointed that out to you on the thread.

I just think it's quite frankly a bit amazing that you don't seem happy or satisfied with the system now when mere months ago you were recommending it.

Now of course in the end it's each individual's money and (lack or not of) focus on what's really important. But when you are making statements as to what system constitutes applicability or not for "serious photography" in wide terms, you invite a bit of "cross examination" if you will.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

@raist3d

you are obviously on track for fighting, I am NOT.

So you have always the possibility to listen and accept one's advice or just ignore. I think discussing about these things in a forum is for fun, gathering information and grow. Lot of people grow on their systems and choices and listening to others on this forum I am definitely not the worst when it comes to changing systems. How much money is involved is up to what everyone can (will) be able to invest.

Back to the E system - not sure if I need to justify my decisions, but what else, so here we go: The E system is still one of the best digital systems around and topping many other DSLRs and according lenses by far, especially with SHG glass, which I almost exclusively was using. I simply thought I would like to survive with 2 or 3 high class zooms, one of them being the 14-35, BTW a GREAT lens. But what I found (unfortunately only after 9 months of using this) was that I prefer also a decent number of primes, which the E system almost completely lacks - at least the ones I am looking for. So you could blame this on me that I did not know upfront, but well, this was my fault.

What is the problem you have? That someone who really owned a system and certain lenses comes to the conclusion to sell it because it does not serve that persons individual needs? Why did you switch (or add) a K5 to your E system, if it was so perfect for you?

Really do not understand these answers from you and will also no longer respond, but wanted for others who (need to) read this make clear what my real thoughts and motivations are (and were) in order not to mislead anybody.

Best

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

@raist3d

you are obviously on track for fighting, I am NOT.
    I only clarified that I wasn't looking for information, I was sharing information. Because of your emphatic enthusiastic recommendation of the E-5 and lenses I was wondering how come you are letting it go now. It seems very contradictory.

So you have always the possibility to listen and accept one's advice or just ignore. I think discussing about these things in a forum is for fun, gathering information and grow. Lot of people grow on their systems and choices and listening to others on this forum I am definitely not the worst when it comes to changing systems. How much money is involved is up to what everyone can (will) be able to invest.
    Sure, but I also think it's worth stopping for a second and think what is really going on. If you look at the replies I don't believe I am the only one who seems to see this. I have been also in the very same boat, it's good to question why all the switcherey.

Back to the E system - not sure if I need to justify my decisions, but what else, so here we go: The E system is still one of the best digital systems around and topping many other DSLRs and according lenses by far, especially with SHG glass, which I almost exclusively was using. I simply thought I would like to survive with 2 or 3 high class zooms, one of them being the 14-35, BTW a GREAT lens. But what I found (unfortunately only after 9 months of using this) was that I prefer also a decent number of primes, which the E system almost completely lacks - at least the ones I am looking for. So you could blame this on me that I did not know upfront, but well, this was my fault.
    You are right that you don't need to justify anything. I agree with you. The only thing I pointed out is that if you are going to make sweeping opinions about what constitutes a tool for serious photography that normally would invite some discussion. In the context presented, new gear acquisition and selling was also involved.

What is the problem you have?
    Nothing in particular.

That someone who really owned a system and certain lenses comes to the conclusion to sell it because it does not serve that persons individual needs?
    It's not a problem as much as a curiosity. Someone was just recommending the system not so long ago, very emphatically with superlative descriptions only to let it go now to get something new.. the previous system was also new over another enthusiastic response of previous equipment and so on…

Since you recommended the E-5 so much and seemed so satisfied, well, it's interesting.

Why did you switch (or add) a K5 to your E system, if it was so perfect for you?
    Well it wasn't. That's why I did. Real world situation: a wedding. If I still had my E-3 I would probably not have bought anything else.

Really do not understand these answers from you and will also no longer respond, but wanted for others who (need to) read this make clear what my real thoughts and motivations are (and were) in order not to mislead anybody.

Best

Peter
    That cool but looks like your are putting me in a single category of which I hardly an only member.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

A good package for those who want an update to their GF1.
    That's why I'm going to get one. I also like the idea of touch focus and a level indicator. I think it will go great with my new 25mm F1.4 lens.