The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

greypilgrim

Hi Terry
focus peaking is such a no-brainer . . . if you want to use 3rd party lenses (or manual focus) it's more important than anything else . . . why aren't they doing it . . .or Olympus for that matter
I think its fairly easy to understand (from a cynical point of view). They (the collective they, Panasonic, Olympus, etc…) have recognized there is this "enthusiast" market out there, so they are trying to cover it, but they don't understand it, so they keep missing. They see the hype and reaction to products like the Fuli X100, and they were most likely surprised by the "enthusiasts" getting excited about the original G1, but they don't really understand what they are aiming for, so they keep missing the target.

I suspect Panasonic may be nervous about the NEX-5N and NEX-7, so they may just be trying to market the GX-1 as something it isn't?

Not sure, but I see little draw here and one huge downside: a tilt screen. I have come to truly appreciate having both a tilt screen and a viewfinder that I would not give either up. This of course limits my choices :).

Doug

HeavyDuty

The GX1 does look interesting, but I prefer an eye level finder and tend not to like add-on VFs.

How well is the clip-on EVF going to work in that position in combination with a touchscreen? You've heard of butt-dialing cell phones, I'm concerned we're going to be putting up with nose-bumping settings.

Last edited:

Diane B

i pretty much concur here with the assessment of the "miss". The downside definitely for me is lack of EVF and tilt screen. and it does limit my choices also. I'm happy with the G3 for now and find it a good upgrade, for me, from the G1--and GF1.

I think its fairly easy to understand (from a cynical point of view). They (the collective they, Panasonic, Olympus, etc…) have recognized there is this "enthusiast" market out there, so they are trying to cover it, but they don't understand it, so they keep missing. They see the hype and reaction to products like the Fuli X100, and they were most likely surprised by the "enthusiasts" getting excited about the original G1, but they don't really understand what they are aiming for, so they keep missing the target.

I suspect Panasonic may be nervous about the NEX-5N and NEX-7, so they may just be trying to market the GX-1 as something it isn't?

Not sure, but I see little draw here and one huge downside: a tilt screen. I have come to truly appreciate having both a tilt screen and a viewfinder that I would not give either up. This of course limits my choices :).

Doug

Last edited:

ggibson

I agree with the thought that a 25mm/1.4 bundle would be a really nice kit option. To me, much of the original GF1's appeal came from the lovely 20mm pancake in the kit. The 14-42mm X lens is a decent option for the masses (if the quality is there), but it's not an enthusiast lens. Maybe Leica will make a D-Lux branded GX1 with the 25mm?

Terry

That isn't really what focus peaking is. Look at the Sony's and what you get on video. When you bring something into focus you can see a color appear over the focused areas. Think of the flashing shadow and highlight warnings you can get on cameras and in this case you get a live view of what is coming into and out of focus as you focus the camera.

an excellent concept, hadn't heard of or thought of this before,but I'd willingly swap that on screen histogram for a similar sized focus peek on the focus point.

while at it, I'd love to be able to elongate and lower the height of the panasonic histogram too

wouldn't it be nice if we had cameras with open UI development where developers could work with it as they do iPhone and Android

:)

greypilgrim

That isn't really what focus peaking is. Look at the Sony's and what you get on video. When you bring something into focus you can see a color appear over the focused areas. Think of the flashing shadow and highlight warnings you can get on cameras and in this case you get a live view of what is coming into and out of focus as you focus the camera.
I thought we had a version of this with the shimmering that occurs in the EVF around areas that are in focus. Kind of a poor man's peaking, no?

Doug

pellicle

ok ... that makes sence ... still, I like my idea too :)

Rawfa

I would have been MUCH MORE excited if they had taken this sensor and put it in an LX5 body with a constant 28-90mm f2.0.

Amin

It's the first non-SLR humped MFT camera with a sensor better than the GF1, so for that alone, it's a good thing for the system. The sensor improvement means little to me personally, so I'll be sticking with my E-P3.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am not so much a fan of Panasonic cameras personally, rather prefer the look and feel of Olympus, but this GX1 seems to be really a great revolutionary step from Panasonic.

So I will give it a try .....

Brian Mosley

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people noticing the similarity in styling to the Panasonic L1... I like it, just a shame they couldn't have included an eye level viewfinder ala Nex-7.

Cheers

Brian

J

jrob

I like the concept but (other than the sensor) it really doesn't appear to offer anything revolutionary over the GF2 we already own. If I didn't already own the GF2 I'd certainly entertain it but it's not giving me any huge urges to upgrade...

Pelao

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people noticing the similarity in styling to the Panasonic L1... I like it, just a shame they couldn't have included an eye level viewfinder ala Nex-7.

Cheers

Brian
I agree on both counts.

I bet it's a nice camera, and with good captures, but I feel Panasonic missed an opportunity to really leap ahead.

Oh well.