The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

raist3d

Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Hi Terry
focus peaking is such a no-brainer . . . if you want to use 3rd party lenses (or manual focus) it's more important than anything else . . . why aren't they doing it . . .or Olympus for that matter
Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe Sony has a patent on it, and therefore nobody but them will be able to dot his for a while? I saw Michael Reichmann mention this too with another camera brand and I felt he should know better! :)

- Raist

Terry

Re: Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe Sony has a patent on it, and therefore nobody but them will be able to dot his for a while? I saw Michael Reichmann mention this too with another camera brand and I felt he should know better! :)

- Raist
It isn't new tech. It has been used in video for years.

raist3d

Well, however you want to express yourself does not matter as long as no one is attacked and you walk in certain limits.

Considering m43 for me as a toy comes from my experience I had with it. I also used 43 and E5 and this by no means is a toy, if you understand what I mean. Of course much bigger, but also much better for serious photography.
That really depends on what kind of photography you are doing. I am sure you can do "serious photography" on micro four thirds depending on the market and what you are doing. In fact, the best sensor for micro or 4/3rds exists only in micro four thirds and that's the GH2's (maybe just superseded by a notch on the GX1- or not). Yes, better than the E-5's.

Still cannot understand why so many feel to have to comment on my preferences, might this be because they start to doubt their own decisions ? :deadhorse: :D
Well I find interesting you mention that. You are selling your E-5 system? Is that correct? Why? Weren't you just emphatically recommending it to me just a few months back? Weren't you like super happy with it? What happened?

Or did I get that wrong and you are keeping it?

- Raist

raist3d

Re: Focus peaking…. Re: GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

It isn't new tech. It has been used in video for years.
Ok, that's a start :) But don't completely rule out that using focus peaking on a digital still camera could still be its own patent (however ridiculous that is if it was done before on video cams) :)

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
raist3d;367557Well I find interesting you mention that. You are selling your E-5 system? Is that correct? Why? Weren't you just emphatically recommending it to me just a few months back? Weren't you like super happy with it? What happened? Or did I get that wrong and you are keeping it? - Raist[/QUOTE said:
Selling it! not because of bad quality, I could live with more high ISO noise, but I could not do without some high speed (wide aperture) primes.

BTW, just think back what you recommended to me and others - right?

BTW2, I actually never recommended to you, you were asking and seeking for information . And to put things right, everyone can say that the system he/she is currently using is good or bad and that for the moment (everything is just a shot in time) this system fulfills maybe all or most of the needs. But what any person concludes out of such statements remains up to that person and there is no one forced to follow. Hope this clarifies if it was not already clear ......

raist3d

Selling it! not because of bad quality, I could live with more high ISO noise, but I could not do without some high speed (wide aperture) primes.
Thought you were unhappy with the 14-35 SHG… Thought you mentioned something about that, that wasn't very good or something. Olympus certainly lacks primes, their entire system is built on a zooms premise.

BTW, just think back what you recommended to me and others - right?
What about it? I mean what about it relates to this context?

BTW2, I actually never recommended to you, you were asking and seeking for information .
Actually you did. I was not seeking information, I was sharing information. Here's the relevant thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27867

This is what you said:

Maybe you should try the E5 - I never was happier with a DSLR than I am with that camera. And I am sure color has even improved further!
And to put things right, everyone can say that the system he/she is currently using is good or bad and that for the moment (everything is just a shot in time) this system fulfills maybe all or most of the needs. But what any person concludes out of such statements remains up to that person and there is no one forced to follow. Hope this clarifies if it was not already clear ......
To be really frank with you, if someone is going to say that a system like an E-5 + SHG lenses is a perfect system that fulfills their needs (you could also swap that with any other camera model/brand) less than a year ago only to all of a sudden find it not so and "need" an upgrade, particularly when having a history of relatively quick upgrades quite frankly looks a bit suspect on whether the focus is on photography or gear. Someone else pointed that out to you on the thread.

I just think it's quite frankly a bit amazing that you don't seem happy or satisfied with the system now when mere months ago you were recommending it.

Now of course in the end it's each individual's money and (lack or not of) focus on what's really important. But when you are making statements as to what system constitutes applicability or not for "serious photography" in wide terms, you invite a bit of "cross examination" if you will.

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@raist3d

you are obviously on track for fighting, I am NOT.

So you have always the possibility to listen and accept one's advice or just ignore. I think discussing about these things in a forum is for fun, gathering information and grow. Lot of people grow on their systems and choices and listening to others on this forum I am definitely not the worst when it comes to changing systems. How much money is involved is up to what everyone can (will) be able to invest.

Back to the E system - not sure if I need to justify my decisions, but what else, so here we go: The E system is still one of the best digital systems around and topping many other DSLRs and according lenses by far, especially with SHG glass, which I almost exclusively was using. I simply thought I would like to survive with 2 or 3 high class zooms, one of them being the 14-35, BTW a GREAT lens. But what I found (unfortunately only after 9 months of using this) was that I prefer also a decent number of primes, which the E system almost completely lacks - at least the ones I am looking for. So you could blame this on me that I did not know upfront, but well, this was my fault.

What is the problem you have? That someone who really owned a system and certain lenses comes to the conclusion to sell it because it does not serve that persons individual needs? Why did you switch (or add) a K5 to your E system, if it was so perfect for you?

Really do not understand these answers from you and will also no longer respond, but wanted for others who (need to) read this make clear what my real thoughts and motivations are (and were) in order not to mislead anybody.

Best

Peter

raist3d

@raist3d

you are obviously on track for fighting, I am NOT.
I only clarified that I wasn't looking for information, I was sharing information. Because of your emphatic enthusiastic recommendation of the E-5 and lenses I was wondering how come you are letting it go now. It seems very contradictory.

So you have always the possibility to listen and accept one's advice or just ignore. I think discussing about these things in a forum is for fun, gathering information and grow. Lot of people grow on their systems and choices and listening to others on this forum I am definitely not the worst when it comes to changing systems. How much money is involved is up to what everyone can (will) be able to invest.
Sure, but I also think it's worth stopping for a second and think what is really going on. If you look at the replies I don't believe I am the only one who seems to see this. I have been also in the very same boat, it's good to question why all the switcherey.

Back to the E system - not sure if I need to justify my decisions, but what else, so here we go: The E system is still one of the best digital systems around and topping many other DSLRs and according lenses by far, especially with SHG glass, which I almost exclusively was using. I simply thought I would like to survive with 2 or 3 high class zooms, one of them being the 14-35, BTW a GREAT lens. But what I found (unfortunately only after 9 months of using this) was that I prefer also a decent number of primes, which the E system almost completely lacks - at least the ones I am looking for. So you could blame this on me that I did not know upfront, but well, this was my fault.
You are right that you don't need to justify anything. I agree with you. The only thing I pointed out is that if you are going to make sweeping opinions about what constitutes a tool for serious photography that normally would invite some discussion. In the context presented, new gear acquisition and selling was also involved.

What is the problem you have?
Nothing in particular.

That someone who really owned a system and certain lenses comes to the conclusion to sell it because it does not serve that persons individual needs?
It's not a problem as much as a curiosity. Someone was just recommending the system not so long ago, very emphatically with superlative descriptions only to let it go now to get something new.. the previous system was also new over another enthusiastic response of previous equipment and so on…

Since you recommended the E-5 so much and seemed so satisfied, well, it's interesting.

Why did you switch (or add) a K5 to your E system, if it was so perfect for you?
Well it wasn't. That's why I did. Real world situation: a wedding. If I still had my E-3 I would probably not have bought anything else.

Really do not understand these answers from you and will also no longer respond, but wanted for others who (need to) read this make clear what my real thoughts and motivations are (and were) in order not to mislead anybody.

Best

Peter
That cool but looks like your are putting me in a single category of which I hardly an only member.

- Raist