The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My new self-made E-P2 thumbie

gekopaca

Well, I'm pretty proud to present my new self-made E-P2 thumbie.

I always need my left hand free to focus quickly (e.g. most of my C-mount lenses are rather fast), and my right hand "remembers" very well to the lever of my Leica M3 (even if this lovely camera was lost in the flood of the Rhône in 2003).

IMO it's the perfect ergonomic position, with the thumb well hooked under the lever, so the first finger is really dexterous and quickly in action.

First, I took a 1mm thick piece of aluminium, then I cut it in order to respect the forms of the camera and the place of the "AEL AFL" button (even if I don't know exactly what that button is for).

In order to make the thumbie grippy, I used a piece of my R-D1 grip - I just changed it for the famous CameraLeather black Griptac - but you can use a piece of Griptac or leatherette or rubber or tennis tape or whatever…

You may notice that I protected the ridiculous and useless speaker with a little piece of classic tape : If someday I want to sell the camera to a nerd on the bay, all the functions must be OK…

Then, I used a piece of top quality double-sided tape (0,8mm thick) to stick the thumbie on the camera.

You can notice that the rolling stick isn't in direct acces, but it is not unattainable; however, I never use it… Actually I use always the same settings on my E-P2, in all situations : RAW files, 200 ISO (rarely 400 or 800 ISO in very low light situations), 3:2 crop factor - so I never need the buttons during the shooting!

It's no really beautiful (I admit I'm not really a careful handyman), but it's really useful!

It took me two hours long, but outside the weather is in Katrina mode, and I couldn't find an equivalent accessory in a shop! (from now; I hope after reading my review, a clever chinese seller will release some on the web).

Last edited:

gekopaca

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

Last edited:

Pat Donnelly

Thanks for sharing!

C Mount lovers are few and appear silent! I was abused on another site for merely posting about C Mount zooms, but I have followed most of your posts elsewhere.

Like your videos, too!