The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacement for standard shoulder strap?

greypilgrim

Hi all,
For various reasons, I am looking at switching away from a standard shoulder strap, and I am curious what has been working for you?

What is your current favorite?

Thanks,

Doug

Diane B

I love my Y strap. There are several straps out there made similarly--the Black Rapid, Luma Loop, etc. I tried a split ring on the lug (G3) but prefer the tripod attachment on the bottom (fastener). I carried this with the Lowepro Terraclime (2 additional lens) for 10 days recently and it was a joy.

HeavyDuty

I pretty much standardized on Domke straps years ago - I use the 1" version on smaller cameras and the wider (1.5"?) version on heavy beasts like my F2 with MD2 motor. I like how they don't slip off my shoulder and stay out of the way.

Diane B

I don't but here's a link to a pretty complete list of all the sling shoulder straps and several have videos and photos of the setups.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36379600

I also have a neat little connector on the ring on the strap that I found on a Leica site that I use to connect to the Black Rapid fastener (the tripod connector) which I bought from B&H. You will be able to find a number of different connectors to use between camera and strap. I tried using a split ring on the camera lug so that the camera is "upright" but I found I actually preferred the bottom connection as it kept the strap out of my eyes when i brought it up for portrait shooting. Of course you can use the strap across right or left. I prefer the camera right under my hand, sometimes even "in hand". I move my small flexible bag around back a bit or now with Rickshaw Ipad bag, I wear it on left, camera on right though it looks a bit funny LOL with crossed straps its extremely comfortable. If you aren't carrying a bag but only camera its a breeze.

JMaher

I also use a Y Strap for small cameras and a Black Rapid for larger one. Both work great.

Jim

bennettk

I like the Upstrap, though I have not tried one on a m4/3 camera yet. The smaller version should work. The main advantage for me is that the strap absolutely does not slide off the shoulder, no matter what sort of contortions I perform. This is a crucial feature for me at work.

For my GF1, I like to wrap the stock strap around my wrist 2-3 times and carry the camera in my hand. An Upstrap would not work for this.

usathyan

I use the upstrap...however, i found that the rubber shoulder pad is a tad heavy...almost as much as the camera itself...it is feels odd to hold it, if the camera is not strung over your shoulders...I would recommend keeping the standard one...I like bennettk's response on wrapping the standard strap around your wrist...