The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G3 vs. Nikon V1 Shootout

Riley

great video, not so sure about the cameras :0

I did learn to cope with the variations in capabilities better, but I still hold a bigger candle for micro than the newcomer. All the same, well scripted impressive presentation ..

Terry

Thanks that was very useful to watch. I think Nikon can have a good system on their hands but I'm still not convinced of the manual controls or if you are best with the camera just giving control to the auto modes since the controls are buried in menus.

TCSJordan

Chris, David Paul and I are all in the Micro 4/3 camp. The Nikon has great AF and burst rate, but I don't think I could find too many uses for it, and just in this video, sorting through them was a pain.

We just received a pre-production GX1, so we'll have a video up soon. Any specifics you's like us to check out?

ggibson

Great video. We're all going to see the pixel-level details from full reviews, so I really like seeing videos like this that talk about the handling and use.

What camera(s) are you going to compare with the GX1? I'd like to see it go up against the NEX-5N and the NX200.

biglouis

Thanks for posting. Enjoyable video. Didn't expect to find the Nikon V1 attractive but it would be more fun for video type work.

I'd really like to know if the GX1 has improved high iso over the G3 or GH-2.

RichA

Hey all,

Here's a comparison between the Nikon V1 and Panasonic G3 I recently shot. This forum has always had some great feedback on my videos, so please hit me with any questions or comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudtMJQUeUM
Dpreview's comparison shots pretty much show the G3 not only has less noise, it has noticeably better (makes sense, 16mp versus 10mp) resolution. The Nikon should be compared to the Fuji X10, something with a similar sized sensor.

Brian Mosley

Very enjoyable and informative review - brought out the strong features of the Nikon nicely, while illustrating the challenges they still have matching lenses.

Thanks for the pointer

Brian

mediumcool

Thanks for posting. Enjoyable video. Didn't expect to find the Nikon V1 attractive but it would be more fun for video type work.

I'd really like to know if the GX1 has improved high iso over the G3 or GH-2.
I understand that the GX1 is similar to the G3, sensor and processing-wise.

C

curious80

But do we want a mirror-less without a built-in EVF today? Adding one raises the cost a lot.

But you already have G3 if you want a mirror-less with EVF. GX1 is for those who want a smaller form factor but want better sensor and controls compared to GF2/GF3.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Using the V1 now for a few days and must say this is a totally NEW photographing experience. Was very sceptic about too much automation and the camera taking too much decisions, but finally I think Nikon has really achieved a great goal and a major step.

The camera is so easy to use, offers a lot new and very useable features, image quality is stunning (what I can tell from JPEG tops by far Olympus) and high ISO is on par (for my eyes even better) than EP3 and close to G3. Lenses are tack sharp and at least have not the plastic feeling from the latest Olympus kit lenses which are REALLY plastic.

And - it comes with built in EVF, which has the same res as the VF2 from Olympus, but at least for me looks better and more natural colors.

Plus it is compact and has a very solid build quality. And it is FAST! And cheaper than the EP3 kit.

What else do you ask from such a system?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>What else do you ask from such a system?

Please check the corners with the 10-30mm lens. They seem to me very, very soft. At 5.6 they start to be ok but that is already diffraction territory. Handling is fast.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>What else do you ask from such a system?

Please check the corners with the 10-30mm lens. They seem to me very, very soft. At 5.6 they start to be ok but that is already diffraction territory. Handling is fast.
Just checked - corners do not look very soft from this lens, although certainly a bit softer compared to the center of the frame, but still pretty much ok. Also this is only noticeable around 10mm, while at 30 I cannot find any softness.

Must say I checked just normal photos and did not do any scientific or brick wall tests :)

Start to like this camera!

tjv

The little V1 seems like a nice camera, especially with the 10mm lens. Probably edges on a little too bulky for my tastes considering the sensor size, but I could live with that.