The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

olympus BLM-1 replacement

Peter Klein

I'll be needing to get a replacement battery for my E-30. It's the BLM-01 (aka BLM-1), which is used in most of the E-series DSLRs. Does anyone know of a reliable aftermarket battery? Or should I pay the freight for a genuine Olympus-branded battery?

(I ask because some aftermarket batteries don't properly synch with the charging and battery life circuits, resulting in incorrect reporting of how much charge is actually left in the battery. This is a problem with Leica, I don't know if it is actually a problem with Olympus E-series).

--Peter

Godfrey

I'll be needing to get a replacement battery for my E-30. It's the BLM-01 (aka BLM-1), which is used in most of the E-series DSLRs. Does anyone know of a reliable aftermarket battery? Or should I pay the freight for a genuine Olympus-branded battery?

(I ask because some aftermarket batteries don't properly synch with the charging and battery life circuits, resulting in incorrect reporting of how much charge is actually left in the battery. This is a problem with Leica, I don't know if it is actually a problem with Olympus E-series).

--Peter
If you're willing to buy a new battery and charger set, go for the BLM-5 that came out with the E-5. They have additional capacity and seem to last much longer in use than the BLM-1s.

I've replaced all my old BLM-1s with BLM-5s now ... I bought them from Olympus so they cost a bit, but the additional lifespan is well worth it. The E-1 now gets almost double the number of exposures per charge compared to using the BLM-1.