The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO Optics Pro for GH2 - Excellent!

httivals

Just wanted to clue people in that DXO Optics Pro 7 is great for processing raw files with the GH2, even when you don't have lens profiles. The "HDR" feature is great. Noise reduction also works better than in Lightroom; I'm getting very good files from iso 3200. Also the deomsaicing (without any sharpening) from DxO produces a sharper rendering than Lightroom. When I use noise reduction, then I also use the sharpening in DXO Optics Pro for capture sharpening. Otherwise, I use my normal sharpening routine. . . . Only problem is that DXO doesn't support many lens yet for the GH2. But I don't see that as that much of a drawback. . . . I use to use DXO with my Canon 5DII, and haven't used it in awhile. If you've never used it before, it takes some getting used to. I always export to DNG files and then may do some additional processing in Lightroom before exporting to Photoshop. . . Well worth the effort and cost, IMHO, especially for higher ISO files and for extracting more dynamic range.

httivals

That's a derogatory comment, Deejjjaaaa. I do have a vested interest in that the more people who use DXO Optics Pro, the more likely it is they'll support more lens modules. Other than that, just sharing my experience.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I see that as a valid opinion. DxO can produce very good results. The lack of lens support is a major issue though.

Terry

a lot of statements w/o any proof = :SPAM:
deejjjaaaa - Perhaps the opening post on this thread was was there to start a discussion. What happened to saying "I disagree and here is why". Posts like yours are not in keeping with the spirit of this forum. I am not deleting the posts but instead giving a warning about abiding by the rules and treating people with courtesy and avoiding rude behavior.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, I did delete them while you were typing, but put them back when I saw your post.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to clue people in that DXO Optics Pro 7 is great for processing raw files with the GH2, even when you don't have lens profiles. The "HDR" feature is great. Noise reduction also works better than in Lightroom; I'm getting very good files from iso 3200. Also the deomsaicing (without any sharpening) from DxO produces a sharper rendering than Lightroom. When I use noise reduction, then I also use the sharpening in DXO Optics Pro for capture sharpening. Otherwise, I use my normal sharpening routine. . . . Only problem is that DXO doesn't support many lens yet for the GH2. But I don't see that as that much of a drawback. . . . I use to use DXO with my Canon 5DII, and haven't used it in awhile. If you've never used it before, it takes some getting used to. I always export to DNG files and then may do some additional processing in Lightroom before exporting to Photoshop. . . Well worth the effort and cost, IMHO, especially for higher ISO files and for extracting more dynamic range.

Cool, show us some examples.
-bob

httivals

Ok, I'll try to do that when I get a chance - probably not for about 2 weeks - I have a push at work for year end. . . . A few interesting additional observations about DXO: It allows you to turn on/off the geometric distortion corrections that Lightroom automatically applies. For the 7-14mm lens, this means that softening at the sides caused by the distortion correction is substantially reduced. I'm finding that I can just partially correct the barrel distortion based on how much it is/isn't need for the particular image pretty easily using DXO's manual controls and this minimizes smearing caused by Lightroom. Another interesting observation is that Lightroom apparently automaticallyi cuts off some of the pixels at the sides of the image - not sure why, again maybe it has to do with geometric distortion corrections? In any event, you get extra field of view with DXO. . . . DXO is available for a free download and 30 day trial. It's a lot quicker and less buggy on my 4+ year old mac pro (with 10 GB of ram) than DXO version 5 was.