The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly m43 45/1.8 vs. Oly 4/3 Zuiko 50/2 Macro vs. Panny m43 45/2.8 Macro

ZoranC

Based on SLRGEAR charts one could believe 45/1.8 is sharper in corners than Zuiko 50.2 once aperture starts closing down,

Many people claim 50/2 is sharper than 45/2.8.

Yet according to photozone.de 45/1.8 tested less sharp than 45/2.8.

So something is not adding up here.

From your personal _hands on experience_ with these lenses what would be correct? I am looking for something that will be as flat and sharp corner to corner as possible.

V

Vivek

What does not add up is the magnification for which these lenses are optimized and tested for by various review outfits.

ggibson

I thought this was a really interesting article and could explain some variation between conclusions:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333489584/variation-facts-and-fallacies

From this comparison of the two m4/3 lenses, both seem to perform equally well, at least enough that I doubt I would notice a difference between the two at similar apertures:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2011/10/olympus-vs-panasonic-45mm.html

The Olympus seems to be a better portrait lens due to wider aperture and round bokeh, but the Panasonic works as a phenomenal macro lens.

marlof

The Olympus seems to be a better portrait lens due to wider aperture and round bokeh, but the Panasonic works as a phenomenal macro lens.
Yes, and I guess that's why I ended up with both. I use the Olympus more, but that's just because I don't do macro type of shots a lot. But when I do, I'm always very happy to have kept the 45 2.8.

kwalsh

As someone else pointed out, flat-field and sharp corner to corner at what subject distance? That makes all the difference in the world - especially when talking about lenses that may have been optimized for macro...

Ken

ZoranC

I thought this was a really interesting article and could explain some variation between conclusions:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333489584/variation-facts-and-fallacies

From this comparison of the two m4/3 lenses, both seem to perform equally well, at least enough that I doubt I would notice a difference between the two at similar apertures:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2011/10/olympus-vs-panasonic-45mm.html

Thank you!

ZoranC

As someone else pointed out, flat-field and sharp corner to corner at what subject distance? That makes all the difference in the world - especially when talking about lenses that may have been optimized for macro...
Thank you for reminding me I skipped on obvious fact I should have mentioned about my use scenario. I am looking at scenes that are say from 5 to 25 feet away.

V

Vivek

5 to 25 feet away. Buy the 45/1.8. Well made, tiny, sharp and the fastest of the bunch. In addition , it is cheap. If unsure, go to shop near you and try it out yourself like I have done.

The 50/2 is fantastic. It is fabulous on film. Terrible waste on the m4/3rds and needs an adapter plus stop down plus manual focus. Only plus side is that it can used with movements (suitable adapter needed).

V

Vivek

Are sure you are not missing the perspective distortion coming into play in your shots?

V

Vivek

I do not specialize in doors and windows. The very few times I pointed in that direction, I only had kit zooms (by coincidence) on the cams. I had no problems whatsoever with them.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

(taken with the 18-55 version 1 Nikon kit zoom).

You may check if you are pointing your camera right. Buy a 3 way spirit level to help you with that.