Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll take it... make that two

Unfortunately, it's not for real

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I'll take it... make that two

Ok, I'm clueless....what's this all about Jorgen? That camera/lens combo sure looks good.....almost "classic" looking.

in Alaska......

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Somebody photoshopped an OM-1, making an m4/3 camera out of it. The OM-1 was my main camera for 30 years. I wouldn't mind a digital version

Post Thanks / Like

yet another OM fan here ... I was initially "yess" then saw it wasn't so.

I still use my OM-10 but my OM1 was stolen ... sigh

always dreamed of being able to afford the OM-4, now that I can there's hardly any point :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm right with you on this one Jorgen.
    lovely concept . . . surely someone can do it?
    an FM2d would be an acceptable substitute!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It would be an incredibly interesting and compelling move by Olympus (or Nikon) to drop a 35mm sensor in one of these old manual SLR models. Make mine a digital OM-2N or FM3A though. I like me some aperture-priority autoexposure .

It can't be that hard, and there would be none of those pesky issues about custom microlenses and the like. They could drop a 5D Classic sensor in there, and people would buy it in droves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Unfortunately, it's not for real

Reason it will never happen, take a look a the price of a Leica M9, then divide it by two, and you've have roughly the price of an OM1D. When The OM-1n went out of production in the 1980's, the body was costing Olympus over $400.00 to make. The cheap plastic bodies of today and the relatively cheap magnesium cast bodies of the higher-end DSLR's are much cheaper to fabricate than the brass and chrome and steel bodies of the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Reason it will never happen, take a look a the price of a Leica M9, then divide it by two, and you've have roughly the price of an OM1D. When The OM-1n went out of production in the 1980's, the body was costing Olympus over $400.00 to make. The cheap plastic bodies of today and the relatively cheap magnesium cast bodies of the higher-end DSLR's are much cheaper to fabricate than the brass and chrome and steel bodies of the past.
    So then make it a little bit less nice! The build quality of a Bessa R3A suits me fine, and that is a current production, very reasonably priced camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    So then make it a little bit less nice! The build quality of a Bessa R3A suits me fine, and that is a current production, very reasonably priced camera.
    Isn't the Bessa based on the same body as the OM 2000 and the Nikon FM10, and the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and probably some more cameras that I haven't heard about?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Isn't the Bessa based on the same body as the OM 2000 and the Nikon FM10, and the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and probably some more cameras that I haven't heard about?
    It's based on the same shutter assembly and film transport subframe, but the rest of the body was reworked for the rangefinder and shorter mount register required for LTM and M-bayonet lens mounts. All of these SLR cameras were built by Cosina for their respective brand manufacturer*as an OEM, a cost cutting maneuver for the very bottom end of the film SLR market.

The OM-1n was a very nice camera and I enjoyed mine quite a lot, but in the end I preferred the Nikon FM (1977 intro ?) and then FM2n of about ten years later much more. They were much more robustly built, particularly the FM2n. I had a pair of FMs and then an FM2n from 1981 until 2001 ... never a single problem with them.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I think we could do it tho! It probably wouldn't take too much machining to insert and rewire a E-PM1 to fit inside the OM1 film body!

Oh great! Yet another project I'll never start! Jorgen... You weenie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't have to, Tess. They seem to be doing something in this direction after all.

http://www.43rumors.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny that - they must have been reading this forum
    OM-D it is
    but will it be good?
    Here's hoping.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was the OMG thread about, Jorgen. The "OMG" comes from an actual Olympus teaser/invitation.

It looks like it (OMD) is a retro looking but pricier GH-2.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That was the OMG thread about, Jorgen. The "OMG" comes from an actual Olympus teaser/invitation.

Well yes - not sure what you were expecting . . I suppose it might have been an SLT

Still, nothing wrong with the GH-2, and we all like a pretty camera . . . and it's weather sealed - pity the lens doesn't sound like a competitor for the gorgeous 12-60 Zuiko (still one of my all time favourite lenses).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, as usual, the next Panasonic camera, the GH-3 is the one to look forward to.

The GH-2 is a superb tool!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, as usual, the next Panasonic camera, the GH-3 is the one to look forward to.
    I guess you're probably right
    again . . doesn't float my boat though.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But it flies my plane!

Post Thanks / Like

If this OM-D or however it is called would have a FF sensor, then it would be good. But that would also mean a new mount, as I guess nobody would really like to do just manual photography today, plus all the MF lenses - no matter which vendor - are just not up to digital requirements of today. So this would mean another lens line from Olympus ....

.... come on, I think this is just wishful thinking

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    If this OM-D or however it is called would have a FF sensor, then it would be good. But that would also mean a new mount, as I guess nobody would really like to do just manual photography today, plus all the MF lenses - no matter which vendor - are just not up to digital requirements of today. So this would mean another lens line from Olympus ....

.... come on, I think this is just wishful thinking
    Hmmm - I'd say that Leica's MF lenses are up to the digital requirements of today - and so are most of the Contax, Zeiss, . . . there are lots!

However, As Vivek says - I would expect a rather more solid and satisfying version of the GH-2

Olympus aren't going to make a full frame camera right now (why would they?)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmm - I'd say that Leica's MF lenses are up to the digital requirements of today - and so are most of the Contax, Zeiss, . . . there are lots!

However, As Vivek says - I would expect a rather more solid and satisfying version of the GH-2

Olympus aren't going to make a full frame camera right now (why would they?)
    I agree there are exceptions of MF lenses, which are pretty good even for digital - mainly agree these are Leica M and Zeiss lenses.

Having said that, even Leica shows continually that newer designs of their M glass are better suited for digital as their older counterparts.

But from the Canon, Nikon and other vendors range I do not see this great compatibility of their old MF designs for digital. Especially I can speak for Olympus, where I shot the E5 (superb camera) with the 14-35 and the 35-100 and all the old MF lenses I tried were nice to use and produced interesting results, but did not even come close to what the new digital designs could achieve.

Further I think the OM-D will be a m43 camera and I do NOT see Olympus really coming up with an E-system like lens lineup for m43. And please - do not start discussing adapters here, they really suck. So I cannot see where this new "pro m43" system should come even close to what the E system could deliver and could have even better delivered if Olympus only had concentrated on further developing the E system instead of only fooling around on the m43 trail of their cameras. Really too bad decisions which were obviously made already some years ago.

So yes, the OM-D might become a nice to have camera, but for sure not a real replacement for the E system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There have been some very unsubstantiated rumors of a 36mm sq sensored live view (mirrorless) cam either from Samsung or Olympus or both.

In any event, I look for function. If I want nostalgic stuff with knobs, I have plenty to look at.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And please - do not start discussing adapters here, they really suck.
    Oh!
    I've just bought 2 adapters - I rather like classic lenses on modern cameras . . . However they do need to have one of two things (both is best)

Character
    Quality

As for nostalgic stuff with knobs . . I think Vivek might be talking about me.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, you are not the only one fond of knobs, Jono. There is a whole retro craze with crippled new cameras from pretty much every manufacturer- including Samsung.

Any of your adapters offer movements? It is better to use monster lenses on petite bodies with tiny sensors with some added function, no?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So yes, the OM-D might become a nice to have camera, but for sure not a real replacement for the E system.
    but enough of being flippant Peter - I do agree - way back when, with the advent of the E1 and the pro-line lenses Olympus had a jewel in their hand, and they basically threw it away. To be honest I think it was the sensor design which let them down - the lenses were fabulous, the camera handling was fabulous . . . . .

incidentally, as an aside, did you know that the Sony A77 is exactly the same size as an Olympus E1?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, you are not the only one fond of knobs, Jono. There is a whole retro craze with crippled new cameras from pretty much every manufacturer- including Samsung.
    No Vivek - it was you that said you like knobs! I was just implying that I was old with knobs . . . .I don't think i have any of these retro cameras (surely the M9 doesn't count as retro)- certainly I wouldn't call the NEX7 retro (would you?). I found the Fuji X100 to be a triumph of style over function, and I'm pretty sure that the new X1 will be the same.

Any of your adapters offer movements? It is better to use monster lenses on petite bodies with tiny sensors with some added function, no?
    Well, the hawks factory adaptor for Sony E with the helicoid is fantastically good fun - focus a noctilux down to 25cm (Oh Yes) focus a 28 summicron down to 10cm!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was actually saying that if I wanted knobs.. anyway..

Most lenses, with the exception of the Leica RF ones do the close focus focusing quite easily. A lot of the modern ones also have additional corrections for such close ranges as well.

Didn't Leica make a variety of close up accessories for the M a long time ago?

NOOKY, SOOKY and such?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was actually saying that if I wanted knobs.. anyway..
    I think that perhaps discussion of knobs should end here.

Most lenses, with the exception of the Leica RF ones do the close focus focusing quite easily. A lot of the modern ones also have additional corrections for such close ranges as well.

Didn't Leica make a variety of close up accessories for the M a long time ago?

NOOKY, SOOKY and such?
    They did make them, but they were a paint to use - the joy of the Hawks adapter is that you just spin the (nicely damped) mount, and you can focus your M lenses much closer than any other M lenses I've found (I agree that the contax and zeiss lenses focus closer,but it's usually only down to 1/2 metre). Spin it back and you can focus to infinity.

What's interesting is how different lenses are different - the 28 'cron really does almost behave like a macro.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I missed the possible connotations the word knob could elicit!

I agree the Hawk stuff is quite convenient. You have a built in level gauge (NEX-7) and there is no need for extra parallax correction aids.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I missed the possible connotations the word knob could elicit!
    Ah! Yes! I thought that one better stop running!
    I agree the Hawk stuff is quite convenient. You have a built in level gauge (NEX-7) and there is no need for extra parallax correction aids.
    Exactly - good fun
    Here is a shot with the WATE, at 16mm on the NEX7 with the Hawks adapter. No cropping (I've adjusted the white balance a little you'll be please to hear!).

Lighting is by a horrid low energy lamp - and my computer screen.

The dirt on the keyboard is real, but of course, the wine in the glass is not.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you like paying $1100 for a body about as good as a Nikon D3100. Panasonic needs to move to metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, $1100 or so for the new body. Cheaper than the new Fuji anyway. But if it's anything like an OM-1, then it will be worth it. I would love this, I can get away from Panasonic and their lack of in-body stabilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I would love this, I can get away from Panasonic and their lack of in-body stabilization.
    ... and their weird battery policy, which was what stopped me from buying the GH2.

Seems that we have two threads going on about that. Sorry about that. Better to continue on the OMG thread?

Post Thanks / Like

but enough of being flippant Peter - I do agree - way back when, with the advent of the E1 and the pro-line lenses Olympus had a jewel in their hand, and they basically threw it away. To be honest I think it was the sensor design which let them down - the lenses were fabulous, the camera handling was fabulous . . . . .

incidentally, as an aside, did you know that the Sony A77 is exactly the same size as an Olympus E1?
    No I did not know that the A77 is similar size as E1 ...

Are you trying to convince me for a Sony A77? I am not so resistant you should know ....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh!
    I've just bought 2 adapters - I rather like classic lenses on modern cameras . . . However they do need to have one of two things (both is best)

Character
    Quality

As for nostalgic stuff with knobs . . I think Vivek might be talking about me.
    Sure Jono,

I should have been more specific!

I certainly do agree that adapters to use Leica MF glass in manual way are a great thing!

What I wanted to refer to was adapters which allow to use E system glass on m43 - all I tried really sucked! Very badly!

So my hope is gone to see any meaningful reuse of expensive E system pro glass on any future m43 pro camera. Unfortunately! And this was also one of the reasons I stepped out of both - E system as well as m43. No hope for a really functional future in sight.