The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surprising (Good) Performance From G3 at iso 6400

Hi Everyone,

I took my new G3 to a concert the other night, and shot at iso6400 with the Lumix 100-300 f4-5.6 zoom. Not your typical concert rig, right? Pretty slow f-stop. I thought I'd give the G3 a worst-case low light scenario. I think it came through in flying colors!

Burgoo_1000034.jpg by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

See my blog post for a comparison of moderate versus no added noise reduction:

http://dmc-365.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-high-iso-images-from-dmc-g3.html

By the way, through my own mistake, these were shot in jpeg only. That's seems to be pretty okay, too.

Regards,
Reed
DMC-365.blogspot.com

V

Vivek

Reed, While it is pretty remarkable that the G3 would do this at ISO6400, if you want decent prints on paper, the actual size would have to a lot smaller though.
As is (further noise reduction or not), viewing on a decent color corrected screen, they look like pictures on canvas.

The Nikon D300 from a few years ago or the current Sony NEX-7 would fare less than the current G3 or GH-2 at high ISO ratings. Quite remarkable, indeed.:thumbup:

bennettk

Got a GH2 just before the holidays. Just for kicks I shot a photo of my daughter in her room, lit only by the glow of her laptop screen. ISO 6400, wide open with the 20mm panny lens. The file is somewhat underexposed, and looks pretty rough even with a fair amount of noise reduction in Lightroom. But a 10 inch print looks terrific, and a 14 inch print is just fine. I've been shooting the GH2 at 3200 pretty regularly since then, and the results have been quite satisfactory. No, not as good as my 1D Mark IV bodies at work, but good enough for a lot of personal shooting.