The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

jonoslack

Instead of discussing the difference in DR between one camera that has been discontinued and one that will be discontinued very soon, why not discuss this:
HI Jorgen
It looks gorgeous doesn't it - excellent!
. . . and at only 2/3 of the price I'd have one of these over a fuji x1 every day.

Last edited:

biglouis

At last, what looks like a really well thought out m43rds camera. Dare I say it, a 'professional' one. I like the positioning of the switches and dials and particularly the grip. My only concern is the IQ. That is going to be crucial because (dare I say it) the GH-2 while being at the pinnacle is still capable of letting you down. I could lament that I only wish they had instead chosen (say) a 10.1MB sensor as opposed to the reported 16MB and then concentrated on really low noise at all iso. However, we'll have to wait and see.

LouisB

raist3d

Instead of discussing the difference in DR between one camera that has been discontinued and one that will be discontinued very soon, why not discuss this:
Just to go to the OMD, which if it uses the same sensor as the GX1, doesn't have as much DR as the GH2.

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just to go to the OMD, which if it uses the same sensor as the GX1, doesn't have as much DR as the GH2.

- Raist
Does this REALLY matter if the camera is as cool? Are you buying DR or are you buying a cool camera?

Peter

kweide

So Oly establishes a new camera line above the PENs which is named OM-D ( igital ) and its first cam is the E-M5. Its name suggests that the new one is on the same level as E-5 but in mFT format ?? That may be the reason for the E-m5 Name ??? Lets wait some days...and its performance with the FT lenses ... :)

Klaus

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So Oly establishes a new camera line above the PENs which is named OM-D ( igital ) and its first cam is the E-M5. Its name suggests that the new one is on the same level as E-5 but in mFT format ?? That may be the reason for the E-m5 Name ??? Lets wait some days...and its performance with the FT lenses ... :)

Klaus
While I do hope this happens (on par WRT IQ with E5) there is now the need for

1) a full new pro or semi pro mFT lens lineup equaling the SHG glass
2) I cannot see this OMD body, although it looks very nice and I really like this look, being only close to the ergonomics of the E5. Say alone the grip is far to small to be held as good as the E5, do not want to go into more details, which would be EASY.

V

Vivek

New picture: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-image-and-more-specs/

Shows the camera plus all the accessories like the Macro LED, stereo mic, the wifi thingy and such that can be attached. There appears to be a tiny flash (no pop up in EM-5) and the new 600 flash (not wireless! damn!:thumbdown:), the new lenses (75/1.8 and the 60/2.8 macro).

Now that looks like a system! Add the Pana lenses and it would look good!:thumbs:

raist3d

Does this REALLY matter if the camera is as cool? Are you buying DR or are you buying a cool camera?

Peter
Well does DR matter for photographic quality? Does it matter (at least to some people) to not spend cash after cash for every new camera model that comes out if it's not going to improve the image quality significantly?

To some people that matters. I realize since you seem to buy everything with "new" on it that doesn't seem to be a consideration for you but for some of us it is. To me part of a camera being "cool" is that it is a good photographic tool. If I was going to go EM-5, coming from a K-5 (particular example of me, just peaking for myself), the set of features has to be attractive for me to jump back.

This shouldn't read that I don't think it's a bad camera- the price if true is very fair even with a GX1 sensor. But again, why keep upgrading if what I already have is really good? I see a few reasons to go EM5 but I want to make sure the whole package is a compelling reason for me to do so. And for many, it's the same deal- otherwise it's all cash spend every 6-12 months on a new model that really doesn't improve much at all, and the photography skills don't move forward.

Personally I think it's fine at the price with the GX1 sensor. But I think it's good to know if that improved or not because it's been a #1 issue with Olympus m4/3rds (and 4/3rds).

- Raist

raist3d

You're probably right, but I wouldn't rule out some clever processing to extend the DR... multi scan HDR?

Cheers

Brian
Well Olympus does have that quick multi-shot DR patent… but has never shown up so far. That patent is about now… ummm 3-4 years since it was found?

If they have the regular HDR of some other cameras (for example Pentax Q, Pentax K-5), that is nice, but it's not a "fast shooting" type HDR - the shots are shots bracketed quickly as if you shot them yourself but that's not fast enough for general HDR acquisition.

The Olympus patent works the same idea but fast enough to get shots in the 1/30-1/500th type range if I remember correctly. So far hasn't shown up. Unless they *trumpet it* on day one, I would say it's not showing up.

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well does DR matter for photographic quality? Does it matter (at least to some people) to not spend cash after cash for every new camera model that comes out if it's not going to improve the image quality significantly?

To some people that matters. I realize since you seem to buy everything with "new" on it that doesn't seem to be a consideration for you but for some of us it is.

Personally I think it's fine at the price with the GX1 sensor. But I think it's good to know if that improved or not because it's been a #1 issue with Olympus m4/3rds (and 4/3rds).

- Raist
Raist,

sure I do care for DR and I am actually very happy with the DR my D7000 gives to me as opposed to the E5. But WRT what camera I like (liked) more overall, it still is the E5.

Sure I hope the DR of the OMD is best of all m43 available today :D

Peter

raist3d

Raist,

sure I do care for DR and I am actually very happy with the DR my D7000 gives to me as opposed to the E5. But WRT what camera I like (liked) more overall, it still is the E5.
And yet you sold it right? And you have a D7000 :)

Sure I hope the DR of the OMD is best of all m43 available today :D

Peter
Yeah, I just want to know what moved forward.

- Raist