The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

Godfrey

True, you can never tell how a cameras will feel from the web... Although there's a first introduction video from Olympus, showing the control dials behave similarly to the E-5... which should be very satisfying for rapid control.
I saw the video, but they don't give me much sense for the feel in the hand. The Olympus E-1 and E-5 are much larger bodies and the major controls fit my hands beautifully, particularly with the E-1 (still a masterpiece of camera ergonomic design IMO).

It's a concern only, though, as I'm pretty much done buying equipment for some time to come. What I have now is doing me very well.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The camera Gods say "more you talk about not needing it, greater the chance you will buy it!" :mad:
Turned out to be true with me - I ordered the Nex 7 after holding out for months. This OM-D, I definitely do not need. I'm happy with my GXR. I've dusted off my OM-2, my Nex 7 is yet to arrive, I have to see what the 15mp sigmas look like, I haven't used my GH-2 yet - how could I possible need the . . . . . . . . . ?
Oh, dear

Keith

jonoslack

The camera Gods say "more you talk about not needing it, greater the chance you will buy it!" :mad:
Turned out to be true with me - I ordered the Nex 7 after holding out for months. This OM-D, I definitely do not need. I'm happy with my GXR. I've dusted off my OM-2, my Nex 7 is yet to arrive, I have to see what the 15mp sigmas look like, I haven't used my GH-2 yet - how could I possible need the . . . . . . . . . ?
Oh, dear

Keith
:ROTFL: Excellent . . . I've made a grand start in my quest not to by the OMG . . . it's been announced for more than 12 hours and I haven't placed an order.

raist3d

I'm a little surprised at the positive reaction to the looks of it, when so much criticism was dumped on the Panosonic G1 for the "faux" bump on the top. Can't get anymore "faux" than the OM bump - no prism in that prism housing!
It would be nice to get a real motor in that bolt-on battery grip, so it would remind us of film moving through this thing.
I admire Pentax's sentiments with the fresh modern K-01 design rather than this Oly OM rehash.

Keith
Maybe you should check the reaction at 43rumors and dpreview m4/3rds forum :) I think it's fine when people see it because the camera is very small.

- Raist

raist3d

True, you can never tell how a cameras will feel from the web... Although there's a first introduction video from Olympus, showing the control dials behave similarly to the E-5... which should be very satisfying for rapid control.

Cheers

Brian
To me it looks better than the E-3/E-5 - no confusion on the upper left on the three buttons with no tactile feel. The buttons on the upper right (looking at it from the back) look very small though.

- Raist

raist3d

it isnt 'equal'
they do not account for Sony sensor black-level offset in Nikon's for instance, this gives Nikon an advantage in reducing the noise floor, hence artificially widening the DR as they have a noise cut-off.
The same is true to Sony sensor cooked RAWs, they can tell you its happening but they dont correct their data, another advantage to Sony sensors.
Nope, the DR is still the same. The total DR that is. They measure from noise floor to top.

measure a K5 or D7000 in IMATEST and they produce around 12 stops of DR not all that far from anyone else.
Which points then to something wrong in IMATEST then because as I have seen for myself, the DR of the K-5 is indeed a jump from most.

The same system sees 4/3rds sensors with 11.5 stops DR in RAW that magically gets reduced to 10.5 stops engineering DR or so in DxO,
which is of course - impossible. DxO Im sure are good for some things, this isnt one of them ...
The other way around. A lot of IMATEST done depends on an external raw converter, DXo depends on their own direct measurement. That's why you see so many websites running the same IMATEST with so many different results- even Imaging Resource used to comment for years (they don't do that anymore) that they couldn't explain how come the D70 scored lower than the E-300 (or was it e-330? I can't remember anymore ).

Not to say more on this, since it was said to you before already:

Re: DR measurements: DxOMark vs IMATEST: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Re: DR measurements: DxOMark vs IMATEST: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

youve been told this time after time and still dont get it
but eventually, like the faked ISO you used to claim one can hope that somehow it penetrates
eventually
I have been told time and time again by people that apparently don't understand what they are talking about, nor the fact that I verify things for myself. The DR of the K-5 is definitively significantly more, than the E-3/E-5. I don't say this just trusting Dxo but by experience. It is because of this experience (well before this obviously , say with e-300/330/410/420/e-3/620) that I tend to trust Dxo on DR and ISO scores.

- Raist

PS: I am not going to go back and forth with you here on getdpi. It's just not worth my time arguing with you as I stated months ago on dpreview, simply because I have seen weird things from dynamically changing the subject to suit a point (lenses, I remember) to a bunch of other things an intention. You can go ahead and say what you want, I am just going to skip it here too.

raist3d

:ROTFL: Excellent . . . I've made a grand start in my quest not to by the OMG . . . it's been announced for more than 12 hours and I haven't placed an order.
Hey Jono, saw your other post on this and I applaud your restraint :) There will always be something better. ;-)

But if you want to make fun of me, the EM5 thought crosses my mind though very lightly, the one I want to check is the DP2M wherever that comes out.

- Raist

raist3d

On the EM-5 - I think Olympus will sell out of this camera. Would not surprise me at all it gets back ordered. I really think the asking price for the total package is excellent. No complaints there.

I never warmed up to Olympus 4/3rd lenses until their new primes started to come out. My only critique on those is some are not weather sealed and some are. Would be better if all of them where.

- Raist

Riley

Nope, the DR is still the same. The total DR that is. They measure from noise floor to top.
and if your RAWs have NR, or perhaps you engage in black clipping black-level offset
that immediately alters the balance to anything else

raist3d said:
Which points then to something wrong in IMATEST then because as I have seen for myself, the DR of the K-5 is indeed a jump from most.
well pffft to that

raist3d said:
The other way around. A lot of IMATEST done depends on an external raw converter, DXo depends on their own direct measurement. That's why you see so many websites running the same IMATEST with so many different results- even Imaging Resource used to comment for years (they don't do that anymore) that they couldn't explain how come the D70 scored lower than the E-300 (or was it e-330? I can't remember anymore ).
just as DPR run there own version of DR and res tests, there are variations of method, you simply need to understand what each sites review components are good for

raist3d said:
where he was quick to talk about how IR used Adobe RAW under 'his suspicion' that they used adobes ability to reduce noise (which would be with every individual test anyway) yet at the same time failed to acknowledge the issue of NR in RAW until sometime later, IMO he never once entered in a good faith discussion about it. The fact of the matter became this, that IMATEST are perfectly valid results photographers can asses with tangible images shot of step wedge charts, that with IMATEST there is an evidence trail,

DxO quite simply is a black box that advantages sensors that have noise abatement technologies such as black-level offset &/or NR.

raist3d said:
I have been told time and time again by people that apparently don't understand what they are talking about, nor the fact that I verify things for myself. The DR of the K-5 is definitively significantly more, than the E-3/E-5. I don't say this just trusting Dxo but by experience. It is because of this experience (well before this obviously , say with e-300/330/410/420/e-3/620) that I tend to trust Dxo on DR and ISO scores.
the last challenge you made attesting your understanding of DxO results here was about YOUR notion that manufacturers where somehow cheating published ISO b/se DxO saw it differently. You went so far with this you were adding and subtracting ISO figures based on your reading of DxO in some strange attempt to 'equalise' what you saw as erroneously manufactured ISO

ask yourself what ever happened to that argument
that gets to the guts of your understanding of DxO

- Raist
raist3d said:
PS: I am not going to go back and forth with you here on getdpi. It's just not worth my time arguing with you as I stated months ago on dpreview, simply because I have seen weird things from dynamically changing the subject to suit a point (lenses, I remember) to a bunch of other things an intention. You can go ahead and say what you want, I am just going to skip it here too.
actually you seem to spend quite a lot of time all over the net trashing 4/3rds pretty heavily and annoying users, while offering slight condolence on occasional but rare lucid moments about how good it might be...

Brian Mosley

On the EM-5 - I think Olympus will sell out of this camera. Would not surprise me at all it gets back ordered. I really think the asking price for the total package is excellent. No complaints there.

I never warmed up to Olympus 4/3rd lenses until their new primes started to come out. My only critique on those is some are not weather sealed and some are. Would be better if all of them where.

- Raist
I guess you mean m4/3rds lenses... true, though the mZD 9-18 and mZD 14-150 were pretty good. The 45mm f1.8 is outstanding.

I don't know - it's easy to see folks whipped into a frenzy on the forums right now... but will that translate to demand greater than supply (neither of which we know much about)?

I think it's a risky (but very welcome) move by Olympus to go aggressively for this position - weathersealed, seriously well thought out ergonomics... it's the weathersealed E-400 I've wanted for years.

I wonder what kind of delay there will be to that EVF? and how consistent? If it's very short, and very consistent... with leading edge S-AF, this could be useful for action shooting - at least when the fast weathersealed lenses come along.

Plenty of scope for this line to improve over the next couple of generations too... global shutter, range of weathersealed lenses.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Playing hard to get, eh? A sign of long lasting love if there ever was one :ROTFL:

Oh, and by the way, Jono, I think they made this one specially for you :)

OLYMPUS OM-D - THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW - YouTube
Thank you for that Jorgen :poke: - Silas just watched it and wondered why it wasn't already ordered!

I think it looks wonderful . . . . but without focus peaking my R lenses will be useless.

Hey Jono, saw your other post on this and I applaud your restraint :) There will always be something better. ;-)

But if you want to make fun of me, the EM5 thought crosses my mind though very lightly, the one I want to check is the DP2M wherever that comes out.

- Raist
Ahhh - we all have our weak points - Fovean doesn't press my button . . but focus peaking does!

- Raist
I quite agree - I think they've done a grand job - I find it very tempting!

Riley

I wonder what kind of delay there will be to that EVF? and how consistent? If it's very short, and very consistent... with leading edge S-AF, this could be useful for action shooting - at least when the fast weathersealed lenses come along.

Plenty of scope for this line to improve over the next couple of generations too... global shutter, range of weathersealed lenses.

Cheers

Brian
ello Brian
the 'lag' in the EVF is now at 29ms
its switchable from 120 fps to 60 fps (frames per second)

to put 29 ms in perspective it is about 2/3 rds the lag you get with a typical SLR or about par with a very good one. Excepting pelicle mirror type SLRs and probably (although I haven't seen a spec) Sony's SLT.

paparazzi666

Pre-order placed. I agree that the black one looks better.
I got the Pen 1 in chrome because it just looked sexy. But when using it I found the chrome too distracting and flashy. I got the Ep2 in black/gunmetal sort of grey. That was much better, but the coating on the Ep2 started to peel off and reveal the silver beneath. So now its black and silver. But I like it still.

OM-D I would love a titanium version or dark grey version rather than black or chrome. I think Oly is reserving special colors for limited edition releases, perhaps a safari version, Ti version, or all white version etc etc.

A raw titanium, crackled finish would be VERY nice. But since the choice is black or chrome for now, the BLACK is the better choice. It will stand out from the canikony crown which have smooth humps. The OM-D will look like a transformer monster next to those smooth lump of plastics. So even in black, it will look great, look technical and shout Man Toy, serious shooter, great taste...haha. Just my opinion.